cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory problems w/ M6 Extreme - XMP setting

LaserPete
Level 7
I'm getting freezes, lockups, BSOD's and corruptions of Windows 7 OS when using XMP settings with default BIOS settings.

Memory is G-Skill F3-2133C11Q-32GZL. 32-GB kit - 4X8GB. XMP frequency is 2133 Mhz.
BIOS is 1302.
Memory was tested w/ Memtest 86+ ver 5. Each stick for 3 full cycles at 2133 Mhz passed. Using slot A2.
Memory was also tested with OCCT for 5 minutes with no errors. All four sticks together.
The bad things will start happening around 30 minutes after using the XMP profile or when its warmed up.
Same bad things if memory Volts, Freq and Timings are set manually using the XMP setting information.
BIOS is at the "Default Optimized" settings except for XMP and the graphic card PCIe settings.
Window 7 is in Performance mode (%100-%100) with no power saving features enabled.
CPU is running at a steady 3900 Mhz.
No problems running with Auto at 1333 Mhz but thats kind of slow.

Also,
BIOS locks up at Q-code "15" after the power supply is first turned on. After warming up it will get past Q-code "15".
No problems getting past "15", if the memory is set manually for Volts, Freq and Timings.

After weeks of repairing the OS over and over I have now become good friends with ChkDsk /f.

The reasons why I bought this memory:
Its on the QVL list.
32-GB for possible future uses, like a RAM disk or video editting.
Low 1.5 volt to help out with heat on the processors Uncore.
Frequency should be enough for my target OC of 4.2 Ghz.

I have screen shots of the BIOS settings if needed. What size, BMP or JPG and do I use "attachments"?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

ASUS Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7-4770K
G-Skill 4X8 GB 2133 MHz C11
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - X2
WD 1TB Black
EVGA GTX-780 Ti SC w/ACX
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 PS
Corsair H110 cooler
Corsair 650D case
Windows 7 Pro 64
20 REPLIES 20

Nate152
Hello LaserPete, Sometimes xmp profile can make a pc unstable. If your pc is running without problems with the ram set up manually, you can set it up that way. In your manual code 15-18 is Pre-memory System Agent initialization started. You might need to up the sytem agent voltage a tad when in xmp mode. Also, when you turn the psu switch off or unplug it from the wall your pc will take a little longer to start up, it has to retrain the system.

LaserPete
Level 7
Hi Nate,

The bad stuff also happens when I have the memory set manually with the XMP 2133 Mhz settings.

I will look for the system agent voltage next.

The next time I turn on the power supply I will give it 5 or 10 minutes to get past 15, before I gave it about minute.
Of course its no problem if I have the memory set manually.

Thanks again,

Pete

Nate152
If you're not having problems manually, That is how I would set it up. You can try more system agent voltage when in xmp mode. Set it to 1.2 - 1.25v no more than that. 32 GB is likely putting a strain on the IMC when in xmp mode.

Hi Nate,

Okay, manual mode setting of the memory will get me past the power supply startup without hanging at 15.

I will change the System Agent Voltage from 0.848v to 1.15 maybe higher if I see a problem.

I will attempt to attach screen shot of the BIOS. Both are at Optimized Defaults settings.

Thanks Nate,

Pete

Nate152
.848 seems a bit low for the system agent voltage so yeah try it at 1.15 first and see if you have any luck in xmp mode.

LaserPete
Level 7
Nate,

Thats what I thought too. But then I was looking through the "UEFI Guide for Overclocking", it has a screen shot that shows 0.816v when in Auto. It also mentioned that 1.15 - 1.30 is more than enough for maximizing DRAM clocks. System Agent Voltage is also call VCCSA I found out.

Just to be clear - right now it crashes if its in manual or XMP mode when its running at 2133 Mhz. I will evenually set it manually.

I'll let you know how it turns out in a couple of days. Work day tomorrow and short on free time.

Thanks for your help,

Pete

Nate152
No problem pete, The system agent voltage (vccsa) is for the IMC on your cpu, I'm pretty sure you give this a bump this will fix you up. And yes please do tell if this sorted your problem.

COLDSTATIC
Level 8
Big tip.....sys agent ioa and iod like certain voltages at certain frequencies. More volt is not always better. At a 45 with 43cache 2400 men mine likes .100 sys agent 1.015 and auto for others ioa 1.010 iod 1.115 when non ht. With ht on it likes .150 or .200 depending on bios for a sys agent 1.115 ioa .100 for 1.115 iod auto (current bios 1302) for 1.115.
4770k | Asus Hero | G.Skill Trident 2400 32gb | Samsung 840 pro 256gb
NZXT Kraken x60 | Asus GTX780 Direct CU ii OC | Razer tiamat 7.1
Razer Imperator | Razer Nostromo | Antec High current pro 850
Thermaltake Xaser Vi | Windows 8.1 64bit

Thanks for joining in Coldstatic,

With answers come more questions.

To start with I'm running 3900 MHz in Turbo mode at 100% through Windows 7, fixed. BIOS is 1302.
I'm using 32 GB's of RAM at 2133 MHz XMP.
I've left Hyper Threading on for now, might like to use it later.
I added .302v to System Agent, 0.848v to 1.15v. The OS doesn't freeze or give BSOD's during logins now, so far that is. Thanks Nate!

Some of the question I have,
Do any of these voltages scale with load or frequency?
When you mention voltages like; .100, .150, .200, etc. are you refering to entering offsets?
Where do these voltage calculations come from and do they take into account different memory setups?
Whats the best software to use for memory stablity tests? I have been using OCCT Linpack 64bit, all cores, AVX off. It never detected a problem.

I want to make the memory stable at XMP first before I start to OC. My target OC is a modest 4.2 GHz but it would be fun to see what it could do. I will drop the memory to 1333 MHz when I start OCing though. I also would like to use adaptive mode (Turbo mode?) to reduce heat at load and frequency idle.

Any help is appreciated since I'm quite new to this.

Thanks,

Pete

ASUS Maximus VI Extreme
Intel i7-4770K
G-Skill 32-GB 2133 MHz, C11
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - X2
WD 1TB Black
EVGA GTX-780 Ti SC w/ACX
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 PS
Corsair H110 cooler
Corsair 650D case
Windows 7 Pro 64