Ram - G Skill Trident X 16GB (2x8) 2400mhz
SSD - SAMSUNG 840 EVO 500GB
HDD - WD Black 1TB
Optical - ASUS DRW
GPU - EVGA GTX780 SC ACX
PS - CORSAR AX860
Monitor - ASUS PB278Q 27inch
OS - WIN 7 Home 64bit

Getting the itch to build again. I'm building to game but I do intend to OC also. Starting slow with the
Noctua cooler and then gonna water cool it later. What I'm really unsure of is the monitor.
Is the 144mhz monitor overkill since i'm starting off with just a single GPU . I'm also on the fence with the 750W PS thinking maybe the 1000W might be the better future proof route. Any advice would be appreciated.
Asus Maximus VI Formula ~ i7-4770K ~ EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX 3GB ~ 16 GB G.Skill Trident X 2400 MHz ~ Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB ~ Asus CD/DVD reader/writer ~ Corsair 860AX ~ Corsair H105
69 REPLIES 69

Nate152
Hi Mart131, Welcome to the ROG Forum. If it has been 14 years since your last build boy are you in for a treat. A 144hz monitor is not overkill and is a good choice. You will get smoother gameplay with less motion blur than with a 60hz monitor and is a noticable difference. If you plan on adding a 2nd 780 later on, you would want to go with a 1000w psu. The 4770k does run warm so not sure how far you will be able to overclock it with the noctua cooler. I see a lot of people here using the Corsair H100i cpu cooler. if your case permits you might want to consider that right off. The only other thing I see, you might want to take a look at the Samsung evo ssd's.

Thanks Nate152, I'm gonna go check out the the Samsung EVO's and I will go ahead and go with the 1000 w PS instead of the 750. Gonna check my case specs and consider the corsair H100i instead of the Noctua heat sink. So much has changed since my last build, so much information to take in. Never water cooled before, a little apprehensive. Sounds like closed loop cooling is pretty safe. Was ready to purchase everything this week but Newegg is out of stock on the Formula VI MB now. Hope they get it back in stock soon. Thanks again.
Asus Maximus VI Formula ~ i7-4770K ~ EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX 3GB ~ 16 GB G.Skill Trident X 2400 MHz ~ Samsung Evo SSD 500 GB ~ Asus CD/DVD reader/writer ~ Corsair 860AX ~ Corsair H105

In the extreme tweaker tab, cpu performance settings, Do you see a maximum power setting? Disable maximum power setting and see if it gives you the turbo ratio.

Nate152
Sure thing, you can check amazon. Closed loop cooling is safe but as with anything you could encounter a leak. If you do Corsair will cover any damaged parts. It will be much cheaper than a custom loop too. I just looked up your case to be sure the H100i would fit. And it does fit.

Antronman
Level 10
Why do people keep recommending the H100i? I would recommend the H105. Crucial is not very great. The best SSDs are Samsung 840 Pro series, the Samsung 840 EVO series and the Kingston Hyper 3K SSDs. The RoG RAIDR Express is faster than all of those, but has a very high price tag (around that of the 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD) for only 240GBs of storage. Basically, the RAIDR express is the fastest out of every SSD out of the box, the 840 EVOs have the best price/performance ratio, the 840 PROs are the fastest SATA SSDs and the Hyper 3Ks are just barely more expensive than the 840 EVOs, and faster by a fairly big margin. Everything else looks good, except that if you are interested in future upgrades I would recommend an 850w PSU. Also, I would recommend buying the 2x8GB Trident X kit as the fewer sticks your system has the less stress it puts on your system.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
Why do people keep recommending the H100i? I would recommend the H105. Crucial is not very great. The best SSDs are Samsung 840 Pro series, the Samsung 840 EVO series and the Kingston Hyper 3K SSDs. The RoG RAIDR Express is faster than all of those, but has a very high price tag (around that of the 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD) for only 240GBs of storage. Basically, the RAIDR express is the fastest out of every SSD out of the box, the 840 EVOs have the best price/performance ratio, the 840 PROs are the fastest SATA SSDs and the Hyper 3Ks are just barely more expensive than the 840 EVOs, and faster by a fairly big margin. Everything else looks good, except that if you are interested in future upgrades I would recommend an 850w PSU. Also, I would recommend buying the 2x8GB Trident X kit as the fewer sticks your system has the less stress it puts on your system.

the raidr is 2 "ssd's" raided and getting 2 250gig ssd's and raid them is faster then the raidr it self and cheaper...................

kkn wrote:
the raidr is 2 "ssd's" raided and getting 2 250gig ssd's and raid them is faster then the raidr it self and cheaper...................
I said "out of the box" it is the fastest. And I said it costs a lot. What is your point?

Antronman wrote:
I said "out of the box" it is the fastest. And I said it costs a lot. What is your point?

Look in my sig. 1 SSD not in RAID. Sekrit how I'm doing it. ;D No, it's not RAPID. 🙂

11000 Read | 8590 Write... Yeahhhhh buddy http://imgur.com/B8ZdcfD
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

PowerOver9K wrote:
Look in my sig. 1 SSD not in RAID. Sekrit how I'm doing it. ;D No, it's not RAPID. 🙂

11000 Read | 8590 Write... Yeahhhhh buddy http://imgur.com/B8ZdcfD

How's that SATA bottleneck treating you?