cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Source Bios?

rhozac
Level 9
Hello, id really like for my rampage extreme bios be open source like your routers. Are there any plans for this?. If no then why not? If so when?

If this i the wrong place to ask please link me

Regards
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4E, 3960x@stock, 16gb gskill 1600mhz cl9, cooler master cosmos 2, intel 520 60gb ssd, h100.
5 REPLIES 5

Raja
Level 13
No plans for open source that I know of. Other than the complexity of making such a solution possible (there is already a ton of work required), we are also in a market which has fierce competition - one of the few things remaining outside software where vendors get to stamp their uniqueness is via UEFI and the dedicated hardware we use. We would not want to give away any of the special sauce we use to mitigate platform obstacles for others to freely copy or tinker with for example.

The timelines in which this buisiness operates is also unsuitable to support multiple solutions - it does not make sound business sense to do so in many cases and I believe this would be a similar situation.

rhozac
Level 9
Hmm i would argue that an open bios would be the attraction. I knew when i bought my router that people would vet and modify.

There are alot of cool features in your bios ill give you that. And while most people dont care eIther way, id really like to be able to read through it or have someone more knowlegable to do so.

How about some sort of middleground where you can choose between a FSF satisfied simple bios. Or load the full "binary only" one with all the fancy features availible?.

I mean at some point there will be more or less a requirment to have most of your computer open source. But yeah that might be a while.

In my opinion secureboot failed from the getgo because of lack of transparrency. if the thing that is going to verify your bootseqence is magic specialsauce it would be hard to argue against possible faults within it, or if malcious code has been injected, etc. there is no security there. Because it could might aswell be a persistant rootkit installed right? We just cant be sure.

As for uefi i thought secureboot was the main feature of why to replace legacy bios. I truly believe we wont see a proper "secure " untill the entire process is open. But i may be wrong. Ill end the rambilings here. Regards

Edit: or perhaps add support to coreboot/openbios as a "simple bios" alternative?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4E, 3960x@stock, 16gb gskill 1600mhz cl9, cooler master cosmos 2, intel 520 60gb ssd, h100.

Raja
Level 13
Thanks for the feedback. Don't see that happening given current constraints and the stuff I said above (router lifespans and complexity are not on the same level as motherboards for one thing). The only way we would look into this is if it became mandatory, unless there is a huge change in what it takes to make a motherboard "work". Sorry.

Praz
Level 13
The UEFI code is provided by AMI. AMI is a business and like all businesses sell products to realize a profit. Motherboard manufacturers are bound by the terms and conditions that accompany the purchase of these products. Any wish of open source needs to be directed at AMI although nothing will come of it.

@Raja@ASUS has a very good point. The cost of maintaining multiple solutions on the time-scales in the industry would be next to impossible. Maybe it could work in LTS systems (such as routers), where the the time-scales are 5 years instead of 16 months. I would like to see an open-source BIOS, but Coreboot is limited in what it presently supports, so adding the necessary features would be a significant cost investment.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23