cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OverClocking CPU in G750JH

success_erven
Level 7
Can anyone tell me how to overclock the speed of my CPU for my G750JH? Cause every time i used my laptop in battery mode I cannot play the games I installed. The response of the game is very low forcing me to plug in the brick of my laptop. Does anyone knows how to fix this?
12 REPLIES 12

KoolASUS
Level 7
you cannot play games in battery mode : the GPU downclocks itself about 500% (135 Mhz versus 771 or more); there is no fix : it's a Nvidia decision.

sasuke256
Level 7
update your bios and perfs on battery will be better 🙂
Laptop : ASUS G750JW : i7 4700HQ - 16Gb - 2Tb HDD - GTX 765M OC (+135/500) - Full HD Matte - Win 8.1
Retiered : Toshiba L670 i5 560M/8Gb Corsair/1TB/HD5650 1Gb @ 625/800 /WD 1Tb USB3/Win7

success_erven
Level 7
aw! If that's the case, I really can't play my games in battery mode. Why do Asus sell this kind of gaming laptop if the battery mode is useless in playing games. I have this laptop because majority of the forums talks very good with this laptop. But then, I was disappointed with it's performance when it comes to battery mode. I am a big fan of Asus, if they can change this one I will surely admire them more.

success_erven
Level 7
I just figure out the solution for my problem. And KoolASUS is right, I've accelerated my CPU speed to 3.22Ghz but then i cant play any games either. So I guess the GPU of this laptop limits it's power for battery power saving. Thanks for the info.

noone
Level 8
too much current for the battery, not aware if any laptops could power both the GPU and CPU at full power off battery. If they did, you'd get very short battery life.

KoolASUS
Level 7
Yeah, but I had a Dell XPS M170, and on battery, the GPU (Geforce Go 7800) was also downclocking, but NOT so dramatically ! (the core clock went from 400 to 250; I think)

For example, Oblivion is smoother on battery on a Dell M170 from 2005 than on a G750JH !!!!!!!

Now, I KNOW that a 135 MHz Geforce 780M should be much faster than a 250 MHz Geforce Go 780 GTX , but there is a weird "stutter" you get when the G750JH is on batttery power.

Using GPU-Z with the "render test", I can see 940 MHz "spikes" (I'ts amazing how easily you can overclock the 780M), but almost immediately (1-2 seconds or less), the frequency drops to 135 MHZ....... and after a short time it goes up again to 940..... and this cycle goes on (135-940-135-940-135.......)

is this a "battery power stutter" ?

KoolASUS
Level 7
FOUND A POSSIBLE FIX !

When on Battery, Set your Windows power plan to "ECONOMY" (I have uninstalled Power4gear" ; this way the GPU will STAY at a low frequency (135 for a 780M) without trying to go "higher" and this will make the "power stutter" disappear.

At least it works on Skyrim (made a quick test)

Of course, very demanding games will run slower, but WITHOUT HICCUPS !

When I'm on AC current, I have the power setting on "normal".

btw, on a G750JH, I'm on BIOS 205 (with the "CPU stuck on 800MHz " fix) - didn't upgrade to 206 (I'm still on Win8.0, so i don't need the "Win8.1 WHQL fix" - whatever that is)

You can't go past 205 unless you go to 8.1?

KoolASUS
Level 7
No, the BIOS 206 notes say "fixed Win8.1 WHQL" : don't know what it means, but since I'm not on 8.1, I guess I don't need it.
I don't upgrade my BIOS unless I have a problem. And I've seen people saying having problems after having upgraded to BIOS 209 (for JW)