cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My very first ROG mobo, the Maximus IV Gene-Z

1ceTr0n
Level 11
OMG, UPS just knocked on my door and literally flew down the stairs and saw a lovely package just for me and then a little while later, Fedex dropped off my new U2412M replacement! Wooooo, its gonna be an freaking awesome friday and weekend! Only way this day could have gotten any better is if my eVGA GTX 570 superclocked would arrive today instead of monday, ah well! 😄

I feel like a little boy on christmas morning again!!! I opened up the Maximus box and watched the unboxing vid, read some reviews and im I have never been this excited about owning a mobo before! *crosses fingers it will have no issues* There is so much cool stuff included with this bad boy, this is awesome! I've been an Asus mobo owner for several years now and had good luck with them for the most part and this by far is the most exciting Asus product i've gotten!

11 REPLIES 11

Spathi
Level 9
May Contain Awesome, lol.. you Americans crack me up.

Just read the manual (the CPU one is a bit cryptic btw) and remember to eat and drink today!

Wooo hooo, "Black Ice II" at long last lives!!!

Damn, this mobo is a sexy best, especially in comparison to my old PVE-VM HDMI mobo for my E8500 setup these past 3 years.

When I first powered it up, I got no POST screen or anything and I kinda freaked out. Thankfully, this boards awesome red problem LED's showed me that something was amiss with my G.skill modules. I reseated them carefully and tried again. Wooo, we have liftoff captain! The BIOS is a freaking 180 degree turn from anything i've ever worked on, talk about a visual and easy to use treat! I turned the RAID controllers off and tweaked a few other things for fan usage. Kinda sucks I cannot specify more RPM ranges on the CPU fan for it to run cooler during idle usage.

The LED code is very nice to have, it was cool to see it lightup on the stages the mobo was in during the BIOS POST. The diagnostic LED's also saved me alot of work troubleshooting why it wouldn't boot the first time, nice design element Asus!

Was kinda odd that I didn't have a sticker over my Intel gigabit ethernet port like i've seen on others, owell. The goodies included the box were very nice, I love finally having some quality SATA 3/6 cables with locking clips at long last, very nice!

Below is a look into the rebirth of my gaming rig into "Black Ice II"

You've served me well old E8500 and PVE-VM HDMI, but its time to move on. But ye shall live in my HTPC to replacing the aging Athlon 64 3700+ I have in there now, can't even run 720P HD with the thing

Oh boy, goodies and more goodies!

After a good amount of cleaning with dentured alcohol and dozens of Q-tips of the 3 year old grease, A nice fresh and thinner layer of AS5 for the sexy i5 2500k and recycled Dark Knight. I put waaayy too much on my old setup and my temps kinda sucked as a result all these years. Live and learn I guess.

Smeared a light layer of AS5 to fill in the rough areas of the heatpipes for better thermal conductivity on CPU die, I don't have patience or desire for lapping, this will do.

After some windex cleaning and compress air, the Dark Knight looks good as new and very sexy on the new mobo!

Man, she looks like a beast in comparison to the wussy PVE-M HMDI! That red color is growing on me after years of blue and white

Mwaaa hahaaa haa, she lives!

I"m very happy with my decision and glad I spent the extra for it. So far, im a happy first time ROG mobo owner and can't wait to see how far I can push my i5 2500k with this red bad boy! It might even convince me to go with a red/white lighting sceme after years of blue LED's, complete with a window for my mini P-180! Stay tuned!

chrsplmr
Level 18
Giddy like a school girl........these boards do more than just ROG.

I hope the food and drug admin. dont find out........

I have to remark also...that is the cleanest build...where is the dust man?
Not even 1 cat hair.... hahaha...nice camera, and camera work.

Welcome...
Looking forward to your efforts...
umm...so did you remember to eat??

Spathi::: If your laughing from there..you should be here...you would split open..hahaha

Ferosin
Level 9
Nice and clean setup there, Grats on your first ROG Board!

jonainpdx
Level 7
Nice layout. What case is that?

jonainpdx wrote:
Nice layout. What case is that?

Nice build and clean , the case look like an Antec P-180 with the HD cage removed

MarkedOne wrote:
Nice build and clean , the case look like an Antec P-180 with the HD cage removed

More technically correct, the Antec MINI P-180 with both HDD cages removed . Its a rare find nowadays and a true gem of a mATX case.

Also, updated specs with new starting OC

jonainpdx
Level 7
Yeah, your spot on it is the Antec P-180.

Cyrekk
Level 10
Dude, very nice! Your excitement is absolutely palpable, I love it!

I vote 1ceTr0n gets a custom title: ROG Chipmunk!
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS