cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WD black2 drive in G750JH-DB71 PLEASE HELP!!!

fsuwade
Level 7
Ok I have been working on this all night. Need a little help here if any one has done this.

I have installed the WD black2 to replace the current 1TB drive in it. But the software will not see the drive. Windows8 sees the drive but it only sees the ssd side of the drive.

The computer does have the built in raid card with the 128+128+ msata drives in it set in raid.

Is there some issue with the raid controller that is not letting the computer see the drive.

Or am i just doing something wrong. I am not wanting to clone the OS or anything just want the extra ssd storage and the 1TB storage for files.
6 REPLIES 6

fsuwade
Level 7
Still looking for help.

fsuwade
Level 7
Ok well i guess not a person on here is wanting to help with this issue. I am going to just return the drive. So glad i bought from amazon. I can return with out a restocking fee. No harm done. Just wanted more storage.

fsuwade wrote:
Ok well i guess not a person on here is wanting to help with this issue. I am going to just return the drive. So glad i bought from amazon. I can return with out a restocking fee. No harm done. Just wanted more storage.

fsuwade, with something like this, it is so new that the pool of expertise is actually so small as to be zero for all practical purposes 🙂

I would need to actually play around with it installed for a while myself before I felt like I could respond with a technical solution to this post, even if I saw it right when you posted it - I haven't been able to get the time to come by the forums regularly lately.

Did you send it back yet? Did you keep it to the end of the full 15-30 day return period?

You might try poking around for answers on the WD site, they are best set up to support their own new special hardware. You could register there and start a technical request support inquiry with them.

You might even get some engineer interested by starting up a support Tehnical Inquiry with Asus Support. Register your laptop here, if you haven't already, and then when are logged in with your new account and your laptop is registered, you can click the "Technical Inquiry" link to the left and fill in a concise report / request for help.

It might take some patience and a couple of back and forth emails before you get connected to someone that can help. Since it is a new device and you are seeing unexpected odd behavior it is likely you will need to enlist the help of the hardware providers to get the quickest successful assistance.

hmscott wrote:
fsuwade, with something like this, it is so new that the pool of expertise is actually so small as to be zero for all practical purposes 🙂

I would need to actually play around with it installed for a while myself before I felt like I could respond with a technical solution to this post, even if I saw it right when you posted it - I haven't been able to get the time to come by the forums regularly lately.

Did you send it back yet? Did you keep it to the end of the full 15-30 day return period?

You might try poking around for answers on the WD site, they are best set up to support their own new special hardware. You could register there and start a technical request support inquiry with them.

You might even get some engineer interested by starting up a support Tehnical Inquiry with Asus Support. Register your laptop here, if you haven't already, and then when are logged in with your new account and your laptop is registered, you can click the "Technical Inquiry" link to the left and fill in a concise report / request for help.

It might take some patience and a couple of back and forth emails before you get connected to someone that can help. Since it is a new device and you are seeing unexpected odd behavior it is likely you will need to enlist the help of the hardware providers to get the quickest successful assistance.

I have yet to send it back yet. But i have filed for a return. Not to big of a deal. I have read already on WD site that this drive does not like to have a raid installed to use it. It stats that you must turn of raid to us the drive. I am not willing to do so with the 128 raid that came with the board.

I would much rather send it back and then get the money back to buy two 265 ssd m.2 drives and try to get that to work. Then i will have the space needed to do what i was wanting to do and maybe later on second gen of that drive may be able to do what i want. So no big deal. Just would have been nice to have a extra ssd to store games on and stuff on.

thanks for the reply.

Shawnnepc
Level 13
You need to partition the SSD portion of the drive 1st.

Then you need to run the cardboard usb stick and install the SATA filter driver from Western Digital.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190

Driver: http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=2301&sid=218〈=en

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been pretty ill recently.
USA ASUS Reseller
http://www.neteffectspc.com

Shawnnepc wrote:
You need to partition the SSD portion of the drive 1st.

Then you need to run the cardboard usb stick and install the SATA filter driver from Western Digital.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190

Driver: http://support.wd.com/product/download.asp?groupid=2301&sid=218〈=en

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been pretty ill recently.

This is the issue with the key i was still getting an error seeing the drive because of this.

Please make sure the WD Black² drive is physically installed inside the computer and not connected via a USB connector.
Some PC system manufacturers ship their systems with the BIOS set to a RAID configuration. Please check that your SATA configuration is set to a non-RAID option, such as EIDE or AHCI
If the computer system uses an NVIDIA storage driver, it is not supported since the storage driver prevents the software from installing.
The ASMedia controller chipset is not supported.

I was not wanting to turn off raid so i could not use it.