cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG VI HERO: How to use COMMAND PROMPT to run Windows on new Mo-Bo ?

rogerthat1945
Level 7
Hi all, hope someone can assist.

Just had a new ROG VI HERO replacement motherboard arrive today after the temporary Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H would not do x8 x8 Crossfire. So that went RMA. I need to run the existing install of Windows 7 (from the Gigabyte) on the SSD Drive on the new ROG VI HERO motherboard.

But...(My bad) Prior to replacing the Mo-bo, I dodged backing-up my SSD (which has Windows 7 x64) which has all my files and passwords and everything and for all my games and software in the four main online game providers. And I need to RECOVER IT. It took me hundreds of hours to get everything right on the drive (including 50 hours trying to get games like GTA IV working perfect), and then I discovered the Crossfire did not work via the Gigabyte x8 slot. That board only worked in non-Crossfire mode (Graphics card test galore).

Both AMD Sapphire graphics cards and Bridge and PSU worked great on my Haswell i7 rig in Crossfire last month.

The issues is, I know there are command prompts to FIX BOOT-UP ON A NEW MOTHERBOARD after the FIX BOOT option in REPAIR WINDOWS, but I don`t know how EXACTLY to do it.

Its something that includes doing something like this;-

.......... "dism /image:*D 😕 /add-driver:e:\ /recurse" * (The star is to dodge command turning into a smiley).

But I want to get COMMAND PROMPT CORRECT. EXACTLY RIGHT. So thought I would ask here? 😮

I tried some command prompt things, but all I get is `the command is not recognised` or something similar.

Other Specs are;-

Drive is a Samsung Pro SSD

DVD/Disc Drive is a Panasonic Blu-Ray Drive.

Intel i5 4570S

8Gb (2x4Gb) 2133 A-Data RAM

700W Platinum PSU.

1Tb Games Drive.

Any Command Prompt people out there? 🙂

The nearset thing I can find to what I am trying to do (get Windows 7 to run on a new motherboard without a full re-install) is this;-

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

But I can only get halfway.
16 REPLIES 16

rogerthat1945
Level 7
"Windows is Loading Files" again....

Try "Repair Boot" first, then go to command prompt?

rogerthat1945
Level 7
If anyone is out there; the System (in BOOT REPAIR COMMAND PROMPT) is now at;-

X:\Sources>

🙂

I have tried;-

D:\ dir

But that gets nothing except the following response;-

`D` is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

:confused:

Not sure which is quicker.

This method (asking)

Or

Re-installing Windows and the additional several hundred files and folders and passwords and damn I forgot half of them and have 500Gb of games to re-install on my other drive as the re-install of windows will not recognise the links to the games?

Its a complex mystery.

Command prompt
anyone?

Command prompt
anyone?

I tried the following link; but cannot get X:\Sources> to `see` my SSD to run the repair commands.

(Where "X" is in `RAM/Memory`. and where I cannot get to anything in C: drive or 😧 etc...)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

"Bootrec.exe" shows a few inop commands though.

rogerthat1945
Level 7
I did...

"diskpart"

...and can see that the DVD-ROM Drive is the "D" Drive.

and "C" Drive is the Samsung Pro SSD.

and my USB is there "E" (I have a copy of the ROG VI HERO DVD DRIVER DISK on that).

and a "Hidden" 100mB (which may or may not be the SSD `swop-file" thingy)

But am lost otherwise.

So close and yet so far. 😛

rogerthat1945
Level 7
:confused:

jh30uk
Level 11
I think you have been getting too much sugar.

I am not sure if you are asking something or just posting info, why not simply edit your posts?

jh30uk wrote:
I think you have been getting too much sugar.

I am not sure if you are asking something or just posting info, why not simply edit your posts?

Maybe you need more sleep then?..
...; and I have edited the posts.

FYI
The FIRST LINE of the thread should be a CLUE.
"Asus ROG VI HERO: How to use COMMAND PROMPT to run Windows on new Mo-Bo ?"
UNQUOTE

And also this;-

Note;-
"The issues is, I know there are command prompts to FIX BOOT-UP ON A NEW MOTHERBOARD after the FIX BOOT option in REPAIR WINDOWS, but I don`t know how EXACTLY to do it."
UNQUOTE.

What part of that is illegible?

P.S.
The rest is just background information to those people with more nous.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
You're nowhere near close, you've thrown yourself into the deep end without doing much in the way of research. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

1. The DISM command is used for preparing Windows images.
2. X:\Sources is a RAM volume that gets loaded, so you can issue commands.
3. Typing in D:\ dir isn't going to do diddly squat as there is no drive registered as "D". You would first have to type 😧 to change to that drive and then type dir to see what directories are available to you.
4(i) Using xpart was a waste of your time, as the tools are loaded into RAM, the moment you reboot, your changes vanish. Only use Diskpart for partitioning, formatting, setting up SSD's/HDD's.
(ii) The 100MB "hidden" partition is not the SSD's swap partition, it's where the BCD Store is kept, in case things go wrong with Windows.
5. If you've set all your important info onto your HDD, it will be quicker and much easier for you to wipe the SSD and start again. The awesome thing with the Games Managers, is when you reinstall them and point the install to the HDD for your games, it will detect them and not force you to re-install them all over again 🙂 the only pain, is having to reinstall your software.

Is your Windows 7 Retail Edition, or OEM? if it is OEM, you will have to call Microsoft and ask them politely for a new activation code to install Windows on the new board, as OEM editions of Windows are tied to one Motherboard only...the NIC to be precise.