cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7870 Crossfire Questions

MenaceRx
Level 7
I currently have a Powercolor 7870 HD card I run. I wanted to get a new 3GB card but thanks to mining bs they all skyrocketed. So I am going to look at getting a second 7870HD card to put in my rig and run in crossfire.

Seems like the cheapest option. However the GHz edition cards if I crossfire that with a standard 7870 will that work? Or do they need to be the same. I have never run a crossfire setup before.

I have an adequate board and PSU for the crossfire, ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z board and Thermaltake 750 Bronze plus Modular PSU SLI/Crossfire capable.

I am only using one monitor, no plans for multi screening. Just want to be able to increase graphic performance going forward for the new games coming out at the lowest cost point.

My knowledge of crossfire is limited but I would imagine having 2 GPU's double the VRam and Bandwidth for a lower cost would be better then 1 3GB card that is really expensive right now.
22 REPLIES 22

Antronman
Level 10
Actually you can buy an Asus DCII R9 280x 3GB for 328.99. I would get that. Especially because you have a very bad PSU. It probably won't be able to support CF. And Multi-GPU setups on one monitor can cause screen tearing and frame stutters.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

MenaceRx
Level 7
Why is my PSU bad? I have never had a single issue with it. I bought it a few years ago. Unless you mean it just doesnt have the juice to run newer cards in SLI/Crossfire. I cant see how it's bad. I have run 5 Drives, multiple brands of cards, a X6 and 8350 against it, never had it throw me an issue yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153136

I would upgrade my PSU to a 750W gold modular, but I dont think I need more then 750W to do the job.

Antronman
Level 10
Bronze rated means it can't put out 100% of wattage, more like 80-85%. And even at 100%, it doesn't have the juice for CF.

MenaceRx
Level 7
And where can you get that card for 328.. because its not on Newegg/Amazon/TigerDirect for less then 500. So thus I would rather spend 200 and get a second 7870 then drop 500 on one card because of Bitcoin nimrod markups.

Antronman
Level 10
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-r9280xdc2t3gd5

You would spend about 500USD. 350ish for the card and then 200 or so for the PSU.
And you need more. You NEED more.

Give me your full specs.

I can drop drives btw, I just have them up for mirroring of data that I back up occasionally. I only need 3 of the 5.

Agente_Silva
Level 9
Well, your 750W PSU might hold 2 cards... I say "might" because you mencioned 5 drives running... Anyway, imo, 2*7870 is cheaper than one R9 290 (but a bit more expensive than R9 280-7970). I think it will give you more firepower 🙂

Btw, is it a 7870 XT? (with the Tahiti chip?)

MenaceRx
Level 7
16GB Gskill @ 1600
8350 w/H60 Cooler
Asus Crosshair V Form z board
Powercolor 7870 2GB card
750 PSU Modular