Level 7
Hi All,

I recently built my rig with the following components :

Asus Rampage 4 Black Edition
Intel CoreI7 4930K
Asus Geforce 780 Ti
Corsair HX750 PSU
Corsair h100i AIO cooler
Gskill Sniper 1866Hz 32GB Kit (F3-1866C10-8GSR modules)
Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB

I have three major problems from the get go,

1. The RAM sticks inserted in the c1 and d1 channels report 'abnormal dram' and are not identified Windows 8.1 x64 reports 16gb memory only. However CPU-Z shows (after setting the XMP profile in bios)

Memory : 32768MB 933Mhz 10-11-10-30 2T

How do I get Windows to recognize all 32gb?

2. The system trips and reboots on graphics intensive activity. It worked fine for 3-4 days but now whenever I do any gaming it trips and just reboots. I am not doing any manual overclocking and the only oc is what the xmp profile sets as 3.9ghz.

I tried to read up a lil bit on the web regarding this and many people indicated it might be PSU issue, PSU not having high amperage 12V rails. Well my PSU has 62amp 12V rails which ought to be enough.

3. I have only the 8 pin 12V power header and the 24 pin power header of the mobo connected. I cannot find cables on the HX750 to connect the 4 pin floppy power as well. The two main cables are 24 pin and the 8 pin (splittable) power connector coming out of the PSU. Rest are all modular cables for PCI-E, SATA et al. Do I need to connect all three power sockets on mobo. Can it be done using this PSU?

Can anyone help me trouble shoot these issues?

Thanks
33 REPLIES 33

Raja
Level 13
1) For the DRAM issue try all the modules one by one in all slots. When each one is detected add one more. Clear CMOS before you do this. Power down after adding each module and then add the next.

2) For the shutdown issue set CPU Current Inrush to Enabled in the DIGI+ section of UEFI.

-Raja

mprahladka
Level 7
I set the CPU Inrush Inertia to Enabled from Auto. Then I played the game for a few hours, no crashes. However, In the morning when i restarted my pc and tried to run the game again, it immediately tripped.

I have found, honestly, the only thing that helped with the random restarts was the new BIOS and raising VCCSA/VTT voltage and raising the CPU Current Capability setting-I need to have this set at 180% or disabled, in fact. But I've heard Raja say that it is okay to have the current set that high. It does not increase temps for me, but seems to help with stability.

I tried playing with the CPU Inrush and lowering the CPU Current Capability and it was back to more restarts, so I don't think the random restarts are solved with CPU Inrush being set to Enabled.

I still believe the Black BIOS needs more optimization.
Intel i7-3930K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS Rampage IV Black // G.SKILL Trident X 16GB@1866MHz 8-9-9-24-2T // EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 840 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750 //

I am still using the first release bios RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION BIOS 0403. The support site does not indicate an update to the same.

Running on the XMP#1 overclock profile that sets target CPU freq to 3.9GHz. I have changed no other settings yet other than the inrush current as suggested. Could you post your VCCSA/VTT voltages?

mprahladka wrote:
I am still using the first release bios RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION BIOS 0403. The support site does not indicate an update to the same.

Running on the XMP#1 overclock profile that sets target CPU freq to 3.9GHz. I have changed no other settings yet other than the inrush current as suggested. Could you post your VCCSA/VTT voltages?

BIOS 507 has been out for some time. My VTT in Windows loads around 1.150-1.163 and VCCSA 1.150-1.175.

I would leave CPU Inrush to AUTO, as having it on really decreases your CPU voltage. And like I said, it does not contribute to help random restarts.
Intel i7-3930K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS Rampage IV Black // G.SKILL Trident X 16GB@1866MHz 8-9-9-24-2T // EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 840 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750 //

abvolt
Level 11
It seems to be a hard board to make stable the CPU inrush did not help me either, I use the latest bios with CPU Current Capability @ 170 vcore is at 1.31 multi is at 46 but my temp are a little high. The rig is only on it's box still with a small 80i cooler.
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

mprahladka
Level 7
I have tried the following settings based on other threads after doing a bios update:

CPU CC @ 180 (tried 140, 160)
VCSS CC @ 130(tried 100)
CPU Inrush @ Auto

No luck whatsoever. It still reboots few secs into the game.
It was also advised not to manually mess with the vcore, but looks like i have to do that here.

Reg: RAM Sticks

I plugged them in one by one as instructed. A1 and B1 work. C1 and D1 shows abnormal dram. Ran Memtest86 on all 4 sticks individual and no errors.

Right now the system is still unstable with only two ramsticks and above oc configs.

Raja
Level 13
CPU Current Inrush only helps cure resets caused by OCP tripping - not those caused by memory instability due to insufficient VCCSA and VTT voltage. The Current Inrush setting modifies the FB loop and a setting of enabled is preferred for 24/7 systems from what I have seen. A setting of disabled increases momentary current drawn (without the FB loop countering to increase voltage) hence whey people running this on Auto/Disabled need to set their CPU Current Capability set so high.

Default CPU Current Capability is 140%. WIth CPU Current Inrush at Auto (disabled) at stock CPU frequency some CPUs may trip OCP unless OCP is set to 160%+ If CPU CUrrent Inrush is enabled, 140% OCP is fine an will run Prime for hours without tripping OCP. Also bear in mind that if one starts setting OCP manually, as the system is overclocked, an OCP over 140% (but is should not be by much) may be required even with CPU Current Inrush Enabled.

In truth you can run the system either way if you prefer as long as it is stable; voltage and current are intrinsically related (P=VA). Just depends which way you want to skin the cat, less voltage more current, or less current more voltage. I think on air/water cooling most CPUs will prefer the latter.

-Raja

mprahladka
Level 7
I have set inrush to enabled and cpu cc to auto. No difference whatsoever.

I have boosted the VTT and VCCSA to 1.13V. Vcore is offset mode +0.015

There are two VTT voltages, I am assuming i have to keep both the same and adjust in small increments.
Are there any guidelines in playing with these voltages?

I want a 24/7 stable overclock at something around 4ghz. Could you recommend the voltages I can try for stability?