cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my laptop slow already???

Lil_Godwin
Level 8
I can hardly believe I'm having this complaint already, but I'm noticing some lag in my laptop already and I'm not even really stressing it yet. Bought the G750JW about a month and a half ago, converted to Windows 7 on an Samsung 120 SSD, kept the HD for most everything else, installed some basic programs (Adobe Suite, Office, etc.), and threw on the Asus GPU Tweak settings to 997/881/6288 as has been suggested on here for a good reliable boost. I've been doing some work with Publisher/Photoshop the past few days, and today, and I'm noticing some significant lag in the programs. I have to wait for simple filters to process, and little windows within the programs to close. I don't understand. What gives?
18 REPLIES 18

Lil_Godwin
Level 8
I've also noticed some slow response times during Visual Studio compiling for my programming class. I just can't understand why my i7-4700 appears to be slow while doing such simple tasks.

*And no, it's not a plugged/unplugged issue. It just appears to lag like it's not such a good processor.

Even my previous laptop (HP Pavilion dv7) ran photoshop just fine with no issues an didn't have a compiling lag in Visual Studio.

Please Help?

noone
Level 8
Rebooted?

How much idle memory? Idle CPU usage?

Have you checked temps?

Lil_Godwin
Level 8
GPU temp didn't reach over 63 during benchmark. Results here: BENCHMARK RESULTS.

Obviously the results are poor, and I'm at a loss as to why. GPU settings, as stated above with GPU Tweak are 997/881/6288. Doesn't seem to have made any difference from my original tests before GPU tweak.

Idle memory sits at 2.99-3.13/16GB.

CPU Usage moves around between 0-2%.

Have I rebooted the laptop? If that's what you're asking, then yes, I have.

Lil_Godwin
Level 8
Also, I'm about to remove some of the programs/suites from the HDD and install them on the SSD, though I think it's ridiculous I have to do that (if it helps speed up the processing times). As I believe I've said, my old HP Pavilion DV7 laptop was running photoshop and visual studio just fine without any lags and all it had was an HDD. I thought the g750jw should have been more than sufficient for me even right out of the box. I definitely didn't expect to be having issues with my typical usage.

noone
Level 8
Poor results? Um, no? My results are lower than that (very slightly) with the JW and a lower Memory clock.

How about XTU benchmarking? The things you're reporting seem to point to CPU issues, not GPU. I wound my multipliers back a little as it was getting too hot in benchmarks. Not saying this is the answer, but CPU heat has been an issue noted elsewhere (possibly due to poor paste jobs).

63 deg is very cool for those numbers, I'd be mid 70's.

Memory usage? I'd be looking to more stress tests / benchmakrs / monitoring temps on CPU to determine the issue. Also, when you're throttling is the best time to look at CPU / Mem usage, could be RAM is not being recognised or something simple.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
My thought is Windows 7 Post Updates. I've installed a system fresh with Win7, then once I am on service pack 1 with everything else installed, things cramp up.

i have upgraded from 8gb to 16gb, all of which are showing up properly...

Lil_Godwin
Level 8
I actually am contemplating going back to Windows 8 in a few weeks when i get a break from school. Maybe that is the issue, I don't know.

noone, I actually have another thread pertaining to an issue I'm having with XTU. I can't get it to even start. And when I previously could, it wouldn't show any tuning options. No idea. Another reason I think switching back to Windows 8 may just be the way to go.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
How much RAM do you have in your laptop mate? problem could be related to low Memory