Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme - Missing XMP Function in the BIOS

DarkSeed
Level 7
Hi, everyone!
Hope someone can help me with this.
I have a Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, Bios Version is 3602.
My Processor is an i7 3939 and currently have 32gb RAm running at 1600.
I have been reading about XMP Function and wanted to try it out, specially since I was planning on buying new RAM.
When I go to the BIOS and look at the Ai Overclock Tuner, I do not see XMP listed...
All I can see is MANUAL and AUTO.
I have searched and searched as to why I cannot see the XMP setting but I cannot find an answer.
The description on the right pane of the BIOS even describes the XMP function, yet I cannot see it on the dropdown list.
Here is an image, except mine only shows AUTO and MANUAL.
I trully appreciate any help. I thought maybe I need to update my BIOS, but I think I have seen people with older versions
running XMP already. Also, I am so afraid to flash/update the BIOS since everything is working in harmony right now.
Thank you much again!! 🙂

http://goo.gl/6kklmw
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152

DarkSeed
Level 7
Hi Nate152, thanks for the quick response.
I am not 100% sure. I got my PC from iBuypower.
It shows as this....
32 GB (8X4GB) 240 pin, PC3-12800 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM
However there is no brand name, and they look like the older (plain and green) chips.
On the BIOS they are listed as brand "DATA-A" if that makes any sense! 🙂
thanks!!!

Nate152
It's possible the ram doesn't support xmp. That would be the only reason I can think of why you don't have the xmp option.

Ahhhhh!!! You are awesome!!
I sure hope that is the reason.
I did not even think if that.
I will try to dig deeper into my RAM brand and try to see if it is XMP or not.
I guess i assumed that having 32gb would have XMP function.
I will post back here once I find my RAM brand and look if it allows for XMP.
thank you again!!! 🙂

Nate152

Nodens
Level 16
XMP is an extension of SPD. The modules have to have an XMP profile programmed in the SPD for XMP to be available. Yours obviously do not:/
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Thanks for the information! So basically the 32gb ram I have installed now is non-XMP, and that is the reason I do not see the "XMP" function in my BIOS?
I installed CPU-Z, and shows my RAM by Manufacturer "A-Data Technology".
I attached a screen print. I guess it looks like the RAM they gave me does not support XMP.
I very much appreciate your help with this. I thought something was wrong with my BIOS.
So if I but some XMP compatible RAM I should be able to see the XMP function in my BIOS?
Thanks!!

Raja
Level 13
Yep, your DRAM deos not support XMP.

If you do want to buy XMP memory and replace what you have now, then make sure it is a single kit - do no combine kits to make up the density.

That being said, if your system works fine with the DRAM you have currently, I would keep it as is and save yourself some money.

-Raja

Thanks all !!
Very helpful information, much appreciated!