cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Failing R9-280X DC2T

Klaian
Level 7
I have a fan that starting to fail on this card. I only had it about 6-7 weeks, and it started making clicking noise. The fan on power connector side is slow to spin up. I don't want to have to RMA it and be without a card for period of time. My first card had artifacts, and Newegg gave me a refund due to no inventory. Now the prices are inflated beyond believe. I would move it to water block but would void warranty. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Asus Maximus VI Formula LGA 1150
Intel i7-4770K
G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400
Asus R9-280X DC2T-3GD5
Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SATA III SSD
Asus VE248Q Black 24" 2ms LED
Cooler Master HAF Stacker Modular Tower
OCZ ZX Series 1000W Fully-Modular 80Plus Gold
7 REPLIES 7

martyn
Level 10
I saw a posting on here the other day that mentioned issues with clicking on fans due if i recall right to the speed bieng too low. If i recall what thread it was on will update this.
Rampage iv Extreme.....3930 i7.....32gb Corsair Vengeance....Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme....Matrix HD 7970 x 2 in crossfire....Creative Fatality Champion Soundcard - With front drive bay....Themaltake Toughpower XT Gold 1475 watt power supply.....Samsung SSD 830 512gb...Samsung 1TB HD x 2....Samsung Blu Ray drive....Samsung DVD drive...Windows 7 Ultimate....Thermaltake Overseer RX-1 case

Klaian
Level 7
Well, I guess that I am screwed on warranty. The clicking noise has stopped. I just found part of fan blade at bottom of case.
Intel i7-4770K
Asus R9-280X DC2T-3GD5

Klaian
Level 7
Yep, I am screwed. Installed the new drivers, and fans stop turning when I rebooted. Just got off phone with Asus for RMA. I will most likely eat charges for the repairs as it appears to be physical damage on my part. I really don't know what to think at the moment, very frustrated.
Intel i7-4770K
Asus R9-280X DC2T-3GD5

Klaian
Level 7
Well, I saw Newegg drop the prices on these this week. I went ahead and ordered 2 more hoping things are better. So far the first install seems alright "knock on wood". This morning popped in 2nd card, and it was making the clicking sound out of box. Contacted Newegg for a replacement, but same ole same, they are out of stock at the moment.
Intel i7-4770K
Asus R9-280X DC2T-3GD5

karakartal3
Level 9
My R9 280x DC2T had the clicking noise too : https://www.dropbox.com/s/o71dn75mnss2tcz/20140314_220017.mp4

I returned it and will get a refund. It was my second r9 280x DC2T. The first one had artifacts issues and this one had artifacts + fan issues.

gaspoweredcat
Level 7
mine too, but its not just one card, me and a friend both bought 2 each, there was a slight clicking on the fans but i didnt take too much notice of it, a week or so later another friend bought two, as of today the fans on all 6 cards have died, they either dont spin, spin very slowly or start spinning for a short time then stop.

for what is supposed to be a premium card this is shocking, at the time they were one of the most high priced cards around, my brother bought his system at a similar time also getting a pair of 280x but he got the cheaper sapphire and theyre fine

Zka17
Level 16
Hm... this is not the first time I'm reading about failing fans on graphics cards... - but I have never experienced it...

"I just found part of fan blade at bottom of case." - that is very strange, also not the first time when someone complaining about damaged fan blades...

If the fans are clicking from the beginning, maybe they're out of balance? That would destroy the bearings in time...

I would be curious to see the broken fans... those with missing parts...