cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX VS. G73SW

Icemanforlife
Level 9
I have looked at the specs for both the G73SW and the G74SX, but i am not sure which one is better. I like the keyboard on the G74SX, but it seems alot bulkier the the G73SW. I am just struggling to really know which one is better because i don't have alot of experience with either. I am wondering why the g73sw has a 2 year warranty, but the g74sx only has a 1 year warranty. the price difference between the two is about 400 dollars for me, but i just cant decide if the g74 really is much of an improvement from the g73. the audio was quite on the G74SX display version i tried out in the store . Can anyone from trying the both really give me any advice why i should choose one over the other? Thanks for the help

I was looking at some on from tigerdirect and am open to any suggestions.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7124324&CatId=4938

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=637440&CatId=4938
10 REPLIES 10

Br4nd3n
Level 9
The G74 is a newer gaming model released by Asus, and has the 560m GPU in it; the G73 has the 460m. The 560m is a faster and smarter version of the 460m, and is better at allocating it's power. I'd get the G74 to be honest, but that's my opinion.
| Asus G74Sx-A1 | GeForce GTX 560m 3gb GDDR5 |
| 16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 Ram | 2630QM I7-Quad Core |
| BluRay + Bluetooth | 2x 750gb Sata HDD Drives |

You cant go wrong with both...the G74sx has a newer GPU which hives you about 10% boost...the G73sw has a sub woofer and look sleeker and has a hybrid HDD...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

What is a hybrid HDD? I am not familiar with that term. Also how is chstity's temp fix for the volume on the g74sx? Has anyone used xoticpc for ordering a laptop also?

Retired
Not applicable
THX studio boosts the speakers on the G74SX, and it works great 🙂 Imo, the design on the G74 is cooler than on the G73. Anyways, Hybrid HDD is quicker than a normal HDD, but still not as quick as the SSD in my G74 🙂 some G74 models comes with a 160GB ssd + 750gb HDD 🙂 However, there a posibility you'll find some "bugs" on the G74, but this forum usually has the answer 🙂

Thanks. this forum is awesome and i am glad i found it. I am going to get the G74SX. Now the only question is where to buy. I am thinking about buying from tigerdirect or Xoticpc.com ,but i am not sure where is the best. Also does a gaming mouse come with the G74SX? I have seen some videos and it looks like everyone has one in the box.

Icemanforlife wrote:
Thanks. this forum is awesome and i am glad i found it. I am going to get the G74SX. Now the only question is where to buy. I am thinking about buying from tigerdirect or Xoticpc.com ,but i am not sure where is the best. Also does a gaming mouse come with the G74SX? I have seen some videos and it looks like everyone has one in the box.

JR.com is pretty good...tax free too.
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

I got mine from Amazon.com
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

gentech pc is another good vendor, i think i'm going to buy my next pc through them.

Grungeboy

after reading your comments and others i am now confused about getting the G74SX. It seems individuals are having issues with it and that it is not much better than the G73SW. The only thing i guess i don't like about the G73SW is that the keyboard might be a hair small and i have never tried it out in a store. Granted i only have bestbuy near me and i hear they nerf theirs.