cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I purchase the G750JX?

yeehz
Level 7
I'm going to need a computer for college next year (Computer Science/Computer Security Major), so I have decided to look early. I have my mind set on the G75JX, primarily because I owned a 2012 model G75vw and my grandpa (yes my grandpa) owns a G53sx. For the short time that I owned the G75vw (about a year ago), I was absolutely in love with the computer. I decided that it would be best to return it and hold off on a computer until April/May 2014; that way I can get a newer computer. The only two gripes I had about the computer were the size and battery life (which are essential for college). Weight of the laptop does not matter, but being able to fit it on a desk and not die after 2-3 hours is crucial. I have come up with a two part solution below..

1. I will have no problem bringing the computer to my major related classes, as I've been in the building and I've seen some- but few- students with gaming laptops. The problem will be bringing the laptop to my non-major classes (ex: English, lecture halls). The laptop is just too big to be using in those classrooms; it's possible but not a good idea. One solution would be to buy a cheap 11.6 inch laptop and bring that to those classes. I would use OneDrive (formally known as SkyDrive) to sync important files between laptops.

2. Battery life will be an issue for long school days. I will be going to a military college, so classes will run between 0800 hours and 1600 hours with almost no time in between to visit dorm rooms. I won't have a problem charging the computer in major-related classes, but at other times it might be a problem. I understand that I'll be carrying around a heavy laptop, not to include my books and everything else, but I don't want to lug around the power brick. With this, I thought it may be a good idea to get a second battery from Asus. With an SSD, I can simply boot down the computer; pop in a charged battery; and boot it back up in less than a minute. It might be a pain having to charge each battery daily, and I don't know the negative effects this might have on the batteries and computer.

If none of this works, I may be better off just opting for an ultra-book, although I will be VERY disappointed that I won't have a decent graphics card or beastly looking machine. As a future computer science/security major, I predict that I will be on my laptop a lot so I really want to get a PC that I will be pleased with. Please let me know below what you think I should do, any help is appreciated. Hopefully come mid-Spring I will join you folks on this forum! :cool:
36 REPLIES 36

Froggy666
Level 7
so you come to a G750JX forum and expect us to tell you not to purchase it? strange... you'll only get biased replies
I am a very small and innocent froggy who dropped from the La La land. and my job is to help n00b!es

Darnassus
Status Under Review
The G750JX is a desktop replacement, I wouldn't consider it a laptop. It's not one I'd carry everywhere I go if I was at college. It's 20+ inches big.. so you might have a lot of difficulty having to lug it around, and I perceive an accident in the future.

Note in most cases you cannot get any laptop bag for this, you need some sort of large briefcase.

I don't see the battery lasting 3 hours on the JX, not with media tasks.

What exactly are you doing in your computer sciences? I am not sure you need a dedicated graphics card, but I don't know the course.

The JX is great, and I can assure you it'll serve all your entertainment needs of today at high and sometimes ultra quality when it comes to gaming.. but yeah, I don't feel confident in lugging it around class to class, but I guess this is for you to decide! I'd get another small cheapie laptop with the JX and use the Skydrive / DropBox, yeah.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I know it's going to be tough managing the G75JX as a college laptop, where portability and battery life matter; two things that laptop does not have. Regardless, I will do a bit more research and make up my mind down the road. Thanks again.

yeehz wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I know it's going to be tough managing the G75JX as a college laptop, where portability and battery life matter; two things that laptop does not have. Regardless, I will do a bit more research and make up my mind down the road. Thanks again.

yeehz, what Darnassus said 🙂

The G750 is too heavy to move around class to class. I have taken it back and forth to work every day, but don't take it from the desk to meetings or other locations. I use my cell phone, or a tablet, or a Macbook Pro Retina - all light enough to tote around - and unobtrusive when I get there.

The G750 is a great desktop replacement, great for LAN parties (use a top notch lock), and I probably would take it on vacation - but leave it in the hotel - because it is a beast that requires strength to haul around with it's power adapter and associated support accessories.

hmscott wrote:
yeehz, what Darnassus said 🙂

The G750 is too heavy to move around class to class. I have taken it back and forth to work every day, but don't take it from the desk to meetings or other locations. I use my cell phone, or a tablet, or a Macbook Pro Retina - all light enough to tote around - and unobtrusive when I get there.

The G750 is a great desktop replacement, great for LAN parties (use a top notch lock), and I probably would take it on vacation - but leave it in the hotel - because it is a beast that requires strength to haul around with it's power adapter and associated support accessories.

Weight does not matter to me, as I'll be on ruck marches several times a week (60lb+ bags). It's just the battery and the size of the computer that worries me.

In case I do not get the G75, I found this Asus right here..

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-N550JV-DB72T-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00COQ4ETG/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_d...

It's just as sexy as the G75JX, but in a sleek way. It has almost double the battery life, the weight cut in half, and is much smaller (obviously it's a smaller screen, but the height and width of the device as well). However, I loose the 770M graphics card.. which is a real bummer. The 750M that's included in the N550JV is not bad for now, but the longevity for it does not look good (since I'll be keeping the computer for 4-5 years).

I'm so torn between the two!

yeehz wrote:
Weight does not matter to me, as I'll be on ruck marches several times a week (60lb+ bags). It's just the battery and the size of the computer that worries me.

In case I do not get the G75, I found this Asus right here..

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-N550JV-DB72T-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00COQ4ETG/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_d...

It's just as sexy as the G75JX, but in a sleek way. It has almost double the battery life, the weight cut in half, and is much smaller (obviously it's a smaller screen, but the height and width of the device as well). However, I loose the 770M graphics card.. which is a real bummer. The 750M that's included in the N550JV is not bad for now, but the longevity for it does not look good (since I'll be keeping the computer for 4-5 years).

I'm so torn between the two!

The 750m won't satisfy the same as even a 765m...

OK, then get it, and it will help build upper body and arm/grip - it does for me.

Please come back and let us know what you decide, and how it works out for you!

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Yeah I just saw your 4-5 years. I wouldn't touch a 750m if you want to be decently future proof for 3-4 years, especially if you want to push 5.
If you have time, I'd wait for the Maxwell to come out, then maybe the 770m models will drop in price. Not sure when Maxwell will be released in this model so holding out might not be an option for you.

But yeah, if you're a serious gamer and love your virtual entertainment, don't go below a 770m if you appreciate detail and environments.

Could go the extra mile and take a really cheap ultrabook, and hook it up into a remote connection to your G750JX left in your bedroom / dorm. ;d (I've done it, it's actually quite effective if you can use a close matching size screen with good net connection, of course you'd stay local, right? ) Just a crazy idea to avoid buying two expensive laptops.

Skat137321
Level 7
You will get about 2-2,5h of battery life with the G750JX. I think an ultrabook with 8h+ battery life is more suited for your needs.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I wouldn't go below 770m if you want great entertainment, the 770m and above are truly in a league of it's own.

I refused to get two 750m's in SLI compared to a 770m.

You must be a big bulky guy to not mind carrying this monster about, I guess. ;d

Just remember that this laptop doesn't have integrated GPU, so power consumption will be a little higher I assume.

( It physically does have integrated GPU but it's disconnected and inactive, left dormant. Plays no part in the system )