cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right Clicking on my touch pad is not working

shockfrost24
Level 7
I'm not sure what is going on but when i try to right click with my touch pad it won't work. i have tried with my mouse and it works. i have tried to reinstall the drives for it. it's been like this for a day.
13 REPLIES 13

hmscott
Level 12
shockfrost24 wrote:
I'm not sure what is going on but when i try to right click with my touch pad it won't work. i have tried with my mouse and it works. i have tried to reinstall the drives for it. it's been like this for a day.

So, it was working, and then it just stopped working?

Do you disconnect the mouse when trying the right click on the trackpad?

Did you check to see if one of the options in the Asus Smart Gestures got unchecked?

If you can narrow down the install times/dates for software through the Programs/Features control panel, as well as the Windows Updates time/date to the the before/after time for the failing right click function, you might find it is a software change that is causing it...

What does the trackpad result/do when you attempt a right click? Does it click? Select? noop?

shockfrost24
Level 7
So, it was working, and then it just stopped working?

Do you disconnect the mouse when trying the right click on the trackpad?

Did you check to see if one of the options in the Asus Smart Gestures got unchecked?

If you can narrow down the install times/dates for software through the Programs/Features control panel, as well as the Windows Updates time/date to the the before/after time for the failing right click function, you might find it is a software change that is causing it...

What does the trackpad result/do when you attempt a right click? Does it click? Select? noop?

I disconnected the mouse it still didn't work i checked the asus smart gesture no changes i had not installed anything since or before it started to stop working. it does not do anything it's like there is no button being hit.

shockfrost24 wrote:
I disconnected the mouse it still didn't work i checked the asus smart gesture no changes i had not installed anything since or before it started to stop working. it does not do anything it's like there is no button being hit.

Wow, that sucks, it could be your trackpad failed... at least that portion of it.

You could try swapping right/left functions with Smart Gesture and see if the left button can activate the right click function, and see if the "broken" right button can activate left click - that would isolate the problem to a physical button problem vs a strange avoidance of supporting right click function.

hmscott wrote:
Wow, that sucks, it could be your trackpad failed... at least that portion of it.

You could also try swapping right/left functions with Smart Gesture and see if the left button can activate the right click function, and see if the "broken" right button can activate left click - that would isolate the problem to a physical button problem vs a strange avoidance of supporting right click function.

yeah i tried this it means that the right button is not working.

shockfrost24 wrote:
yeah i tried this it means that the right button is not working.

Time for an RMA... Asus is pretty good about turnaround for RMA's - you can file one via a Technical Inquiry here after registering your laptop:
https://account.asus.com/info.aspx

If you let them know you are willing to send the laptop to them Fedex Overnight, ask if they will return the same method. That could shorten the delay for the RMA end to end.

My daughters Asus laptop, she used to lean on the touchpad... the right click wore out pretty quick. I got her a wireless keyboard and mouse to use with the laptop after that. She refused to send it off for RMA 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Time for an RMA... Asus is pretty good about turnaround for RMA's - you can file one via a Technical Inquiry here after registering your laptop:
https://account.asus.com/info.aspx

If you let them know you are willing to send the laptop to them Fedex Overnight, ask if they will return the same method. That could shorten the delay for the RMA end to end.

My daughters Asus laptop, she used to lean on the touchpad... the right click wore out pretty quick. I got her a wireless keyboard and mouse to use with the laptop after that. She refused to send it off for RMA 🙂

just wondering will my data be gone with an RMA or will it be fine?

shockfrost24 wrote:
just wondering will my data be gone with an RMA or will it be fine?

It is always a good idea to backup, and insure your shipment for real value, as anything can happen when the laptop is out of your control.

You can ask Asus when you set up the RMA, I don't know what is the policy now - it has been a long time since did an RMA with Asus.

The one time I RMA'd it was for a graphics card swap, and they didn't touch my disk / data.

Anyone recently RMA their laptop and can tell us if you got back your laptop with your data still in place?

Asus released a driver update to solve this. Just go to Device Manager, search for Human Interface Devices -> Microsoft Input Configuration Device and double click it. Search for driver update and update driver from internet. This helped me to resolve my touch pad right-click issue.

More info:
https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1031506/

brutjbro wrote:
Asus released a driver update to solve this. Just go to Device Manager, search for Human Interface Devices -> Microsoft Input Configuration Device and double click it. Search for driver update and update driver from internet. This helped me to resolve my touch pad right-click issue.

More info:
https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1031506/

Just got the same issue, I followed the instructions of above link.

It solved the issue 😉