cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Maximize G75VW graphics without overclocking?

Eskibot
Level 7
Is there certain settings I can choose to make my GTX660M run on max performance without overclocking it?

Also, what is the difference between Power4Gear High Performance and High Performance? I got to it by clicking the button next to the power button
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
That button is just a quick way to change your power setting.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

if i were to overclock my laptop. what should I clock it have? I am using GPU Tweak

Eskibot wrote:
if i were to overclock my laptop. what should I clock it have? I am using GPU Tweak

There isn't any solid answer for that really because you have to overclock based on your unit and driver's performance. You have to incrementally tweak and test and tweak and test and tweak and test over a period of several hours. This is because, at a certain point, the core and/or memory clock will become unstable and produce artifacts. The specific values differ from machine to machine.

The numbers that I do have for you are the clock limitations that Nvidia wrote into the firmware. You can boost the core clock by a maximum of 135 MHz and the memory by up to 2000 MHz. I myself use EVGA Precision X for my clock settings, although I think GPU Tweak will work perfectly fine. For artifact testing I use Unique Heaven Benchmark 4.0 because it is reliable and stable enough to artifact only when I set my clocks too high. For stability, I simply play my games normally whilst keeping an eye out for glitches and high temperatures.

If you do decide to overclock, make sure you are patient and take your time doing it. I try to use 20 MHz increments for the core clock and 50 MHz increments for the memory clock. To find the right values, increment one clock on its own. Then set it back to the stock speed and repeat the incrementation with the other clock. Then set them both to a bit beneath those numbers and increment both very slowly (around 5MHz core and 10-15 MHz memory). The key indicators for when to lower a setting are when you see an artifact or when the GPU temperature hits 70 C. Note that this temperature is not dangerous at all (dangerous would be 85 - 90 C), but 70 C is right around where your GPU will begin to throttle the clocks for cooling. This means your overclock would be self defeating.

When testing, be sure to sit several feet away from the screen; so you can watch all of it. In my experience with the Heaven benchmark, the artifacts you'll be looking for primarily occur either in the form of a distorted/vanishing mesh or a colorful blit/flash on top of everything. Specifically, the pattern I've been noticing is that the mesh glitches when the core is too fast while the flashes happen when the memory is too fast. This may be a coincidence and may change with drivers, but at least it's something to look for. Be aware that you can't look away for the duration of the test because the artifacts hardly last more than a frame, and sometimes they will occur in literally the last second of the test.

If it helps, I finished updating/testing my settings a few hours ago and found +135 MHz core and +600 MHz memory with the 334.89 driver to be stable in Heaven. This translates into a core clock of 1085 MHz and a memory clock of 3100 MHz. Note that I still have to test it in-game, and this in no way means you can immediately set yours to those numbers. It is imperative that you incrementally raise the speeds.

As you already know, be exceedingly careful if you do decide to overclock. It does void your warranty, and impatience/carelessness can damage your machine. I also strongly advise doing more research on it than just reading my post before starting. 😛

Ive seen people overclocking their 660M to over 1200+ like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKeH6VYw9OI. Where would I be able to find the program to over clock it further than NVIDIA Inspection.

Eskibot wrote:
Ive seen people overclocking their 660M to over 1200+ like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKeH6VYw9OI. Where would I be able to find the program to over clock it further than NVIDIA Inspection.

To do that, you have to use a modified BIOS and likely need a different cooling system. The general rule regarding that setup is, if you have to ask, you aren't ready to try it yet. I myself still fall into that category alongside you.

Also, if you are overclocking in order to play games at a higher framerate, I am of the opinion that it's more effective and wiser to save up for a desktop rather than bypass firmware limitations. Overclocking within those limitations is already hard on the machine, and I am honestly very skeptical of the stability and longevity of those which have been modified.

so you think just using the regular overclocking software is enough?