cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging port on G46VW failing. Out of warranty repair cost will be over $150. Ideas?

xommified
Level 7
Title pretty much says it all. The charging port on my G46VW has slowly been failing - occasionally it'd stop charging, and I would have to reposition it or jiggle it a bit to get it to charge again. Now, more often than not, it just refuses to charge.

I contacted ASUS support and opened an RMA, and since I got this laptop refurbished, the warranty was only 3 months. 5 months have passed, so the guy estimated me a cost of $156 - they replace the entire motherboard instead of just the port.

I'm thinking of opening it up and seeing if the port can't be re-soldered on or something, because that $150 is a pretty steep proposition for a $650 laptop. (What's there to lose? If I screw up I'll still have to replace the mobo for $150.) My data is all backed up in case the port goes kaput before I send it out, so no worries there.

Any ideas? Or will I just have to clench cheeks and foot the bill?
Laptop: ASUS G46VW, Intel Core i5 3210M, 8GB DDR3-1600, GTX 660M @ 1GHz,6GHz
Desktop: ASUS P8Z77-V LK, Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz, 8GB DDR3-1333, GTX 670 @1.3GHz,7GHz
1 REPLY 1

Antronman
Level 10
I would try to re-solder it.
I agree with you, in that what have you got to lose?
If it works, you've saved yourself 150USD.
If not, you replace the mobo anyways.
Like you said.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me