cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First problem with the G74SX that might turn into a big problem

Boosted_R
Level 8
UPDATE:

Still crashes even with bios 203, thought it fixed it but guess not ( just crashes a lot less) ..... will have to RMA it next year when school is done 😐

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
******SOLVED ITS SEEMS******

after updating to Bios 203, the driver hasn't crashed under the same or any operating conditions, so it seems it is solved for now (approx 1 week so far)

Running the following important drivers:

- Power4Gear 1.1.43
- ATK 1.0.0013
- Sentelic 9.1.3.5 (dont like the newer version)
- Nvidia 285.38
- Atheros Wifi 9.2

- Bios 203 (Bios 202 doesn't solve this problem, if anything it created the problem to start with)

Anyone having problems like me, try these hope it helps, GL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have owned this laptop for about a month, works amazing aside from this one problem.

Problem has occurred 3 times so far:

- GPU is not overclocked ( have only ever overclocked to get a benchmark score, other than that it runs on stock settings... Not a gamer)

- Bios 202

- Nvidia Driver 280.26

Conditions it has occurred in so far:

Browsing Web: Mostly Text, with pictures here and there ( happens on sites I always go on, nothing new)

Problem:

G74SX jumps into a state where:

- the screen setting jumps into the Brightest setting possible
- Taskbar turns from my setting of transparent black to a more classic solid offset white color like from windows classic mode

WORST OF ALL:

- GPU Temperature gets to 63 degrees C in about 1 minute ( at that point i will reset)

- not a glitch in the temperature reading because i can feel the heat coming from the vents

Only way to stop this:

Restarting the computer

Things I have tired to stop it when its happening:

- Closing browser (no effect)
- Toggling between the different Power Gear modes (no effect)

Thoughts:

Hope this doesn't happen to anyone while it is unattended, might not end well

Anyone else have this problem? Chime in

Though it wasn't a big deal, but as it has happened a few times, though ROG should know.

Thanks
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23
25 REPLIES 25

grungeboy2
Level 10
i advise people to stay away from the G74. i think asus put out a bad product.

rma it.

grungeboy wrote:

rma it.

Early adopters said the same thing about the G73JH. Now it's a fav of many.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

grungeboy wrote:

rma it.

I approve this statement

Azzazel
Level 7
yup , i am having the same problems.. not very happy about this....
Asus G74SX-TY087V
Processor: Intel Core i7 2630QM / 2 GHz ( Quad-Core )
RAM: 16 GB - DDR3 SDRAM
Card Reader: 3 in 1
Hard Drive: 1.0 TB - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm
Optical Storage: DVD-Writer / BD-ROM
Display: 17.3" LED backlight TFT 1600 x 900 - 16:9
Graphics Controller: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
Video Memory: 3 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Consoles
Playstation 3
Nintendo Wii

Retired
Not applicable
- GPU Temperature gets to 63 degrees C in about 1 minute ( at that point i will reset)
Well 63 degrees is not much, this is my first nvidia card, but i know that the ati card i have owned have had there max operating temperature (when it will shutdown automatically) was around 110 degrees....

chrsplmr
Level 18
I dont have one .. only in my best dreams...
But this sounds like a power options issue to me...the same reason I dont use AMD profiles..for gaming or anything else..
The more I think about it as I type...this isnt like it..it is exactly it.
I, when I first tryed out that type of thing...was very annoyed by this... some kind of power profile is triggering...like game first or others.
Worth a look see.

Grungeboy...Welcome, I have read some very helpful posts from you.thnx.... I do not believe however that Asus's flagship ROG laptop is
anything but off the hook amazing...that said..there can be production issues which are corrected quickly by Asus, if ever it is needed.

Azzezel.... Hope you find it is a simple setting also..of course nice to know RMA is an option.
Your Location?,,,, Clever.........Not Cool.
(We dont need to know about your prefered ****** position or favorite partner....hehehe..ooops...we are here to ROG, friend.)

:::::: EDIT ::::::
OOOOOH..hahaha...that word gets edited with ****** but the location subject of the point remains....hahhahahahahhaha.....as you wish...now thats funny...and that location, written like that, is quite clever....so be it....but not in my ROG Life.c.

Azzazel
Level 7
chrsplmr
Tell me what i must uninstall to get my laptop working properly...
Asus G74SX-TY087V
Processor: Intel Core i7 2630QM / 2 GHz ( Quad-Core )
RAM: 16 GB - DDR3 SDRAM
Card Reader: 3 in 1
Hard Drive: 1.0 TB - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm
Optical Storage: DVD-Writer / BD-ROM
Display: 17.3" LED backlight TFT 1600 x 900 - 16:9
Graphics Controller: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M
Video Memory: 3 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Consoles
Playstation 3
Nintendo Wii

JRd1st
Level 12
@Boosted_R - this happened a few time to me when I first got my G74SX-A1. I'm almost positive it's caused by the Atheros WiFi card or the driver. I updated my Atheros driver to 9.2.0.419. This problem hasn't reoccurred at all since I did that. Also, I've been doing most of my browsing with the LAN cable connected, but either way I'm sure it's WiFi caused.

ASUS put a really crappy WiFi card in this laptop, on top of that they used a REALLY old driver, but that's no reason to write the G74SX off, especially when you consider that you can easily replace the Atheros card with a top-of-the-line Intel card for less than $40
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Chastity
Level 10
Boosted_R wrote:
Problem:

G74SX jumps into a state where:

- the screen setting jumps into the Brightest setting possible
- Taskbar turns from my setting of transparent black to a more classic solid offset white color like from windows classic mode

Your machine is jumping out of Aero. Something is prolly fubar with your video driver install. Uninstall your 280.26, reboot, and driver sweep for nvidia video drivers. Then install the newer 285.27. It performs very well, and some people had issues with that 280 whql release. Also update your Wifi and LAN drivers.

Hows the fan output? Flowing well?
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]