cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A hard look at some stuff.

SoundMan
Level 7
Here's some stuff.

The ASUS Phoebus has about -90 db SPL in terms of noise at 44.1 KHz Just above the 16-bit limit, not below. This not ideal overall with the line input. This is hard to offest or fix. Most professional cards use multiple inputs and can record all at once from these.

Stereo mix, is one way to make music. But under Vista and up you can use the driver to grab data before it goes through the DA and through the ADs resulting in a cleaner signal without added noise (although this is resampled). Some freeware programs exist for this. It's a loophole in the driver of Windows that might help those that need the fuction of Stereo mixer in general for their homebrew mixes or music productions on a tight budget.

Most professional cards are more geared towards production and recording. This card is high-end, not even considered prosumer.

This is a high end consumer card based on features that most professionals don't care for or need. This card is a gamer's card, although high-end and quite nice, it's not for recording in general. Most professional grade stuff is expensive.

You need to consider what is important to you. Most professional stuff starts around $500 or more. Upwards to a grand or more.

You also need to be mindful of the fact the card probably has high pass filters which have negative effects on tightly modulated signals.

EDIT: Creative is junk for anything professional, period. Most professional grade cards aren't easily obtained.
3 REPLIES 3

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome to ROG SoundMan ...
I am confused .. so you think that a card from and on the 'Republic of Gamers' is out of place
because it does not suit recording experts/pro needs, but more geared toward gaming ???
Ok. I'm lost.
What part of the R.O.G. did you miss bro ???
or ... Are you saying this is a Great Gamers card but not for the recording pro ???

Anyway. Best of Luck. Thank You for your input and insight. .c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Welcome to ROG SoundMan ...
I am confused .. so you think that a card from and on the 'Republic of Gamers' is out of place
because it does not suit recording experts/pro needs, but more geared toward gaming ???
Ok. I'm lost.
What part of the R.O.G. did you miss bro ???
or ... Are you saying this is a Great Gamers card but not for the recording pro ???

Anyway. Best of Luck. Thank You for your input and insight. .c.

Most cards of this type are good for activities the typical consumer enjoys like listening to music, watching movies, playing games and may have latency and other issues that most recording experts find unacceptable. It's not to say you can't hook up an old tape deck or record player and digitize your old stuff for your iPod or other music devices. Outside of that you're looking at things that wouldn't fly in the professional field.

SoundMan wrote:
Most cards of this type are good for activities the typical consumer enjoys like listening to music, watching movies, playing games and may have latency and other issues that most recording experts find unacceptable. It's not to say you can't hook up an old tape deck or record player and digitize your old stuff for your iPod or other music devices. Outside of that you're looking at things that wouldn't fly in the professional field.

But people with a Xonar Phoebus probably didn't buy it for the industry.
At a minimum, that would be the Xonar Essence STX + a bunch of other capture/tweaking devices.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me