Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Insane Hardware Geek Array PowerOver9K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Antronman View Post
    De-lidding usually drops temps by 10-15 degrees C.
    Same with using a quality TIM instead. Indigo Xtreme is the best but it's not for a noob as it's hard to apply. You also need the integrated heatspreader intact for it. You basically have to cook it on to get it to melt but when it melts it's the best. 5C+ drops over AS-5.

As far as push-pull on a rad, that gets you about 1 C lower.
    Last edited by PowerOver9K; 02-27-2014 at 03:03 PM.
    Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

ROG Member Array BlackKalgalath PC Specs
    BlackKalgalath PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus VI Formula
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 4790k
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 4x4 @ 1866
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080Ti Hybrid FTW3
    Sound CardCreative SB1500
    MonitorMSI 32" 1440 144Hz
    Storage #1Samsung 850 Pro 512
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Evo 1tb
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Water 3.0
    CaseLian Li
    Power SupplySeaSonic X-1050w 80 Plus Gold PSU
    Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mechanical Keyboard
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset Sennheiser Game One Headset
    Mouse Pad Razer FireFly V2
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch Desktop 2.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Alright, So i am going to start by flipping my fans on the H100 rad and see how that goes. There should be enough exhaust circulation to make it work. I'll just need to keep an eye on GPU temps to make sure they get adequate airflow.

If temps don't see a decent drop from that then i will consider changing up the TIM. I've always had really good luck with AS5 on all my previous builds but this is a whole new animal. Not sure I wanna go through all the hassle with the Indigo Extreme but I will consider it. I also considered using Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra. Not such a complicated application as the IE but supposedly one of the best. I just have to wonder if it's safe to use on my CPU? It says not to use on Aluminum and I don't know if the i7 Heat Spreader is Aluminum or Nickel Plated Copper. Any thoughts or other TIM suggestions?

BlackKalgalath PC Specs
    CaseLian Li
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Ok. I flipped my fans on the Rad. No difference at all in Idle temps. Load temps haven't changed by any noticeable amount either. In fact I think they might have even gone up a degree or two. Hottest core was 79c before after 3 runs of RB back to back and now it was 81c. My video card however jumped up by about 7c at idle. I didn't bother stressing it. That was enough for me to decide that flipping the fans was a bad idea in my case. Especially considering I will be adding the other 680 back into the system as soon as it comes back from repair at Asus. I would rather see a 2-3c temp rise on CPU than 7c+ rise on the GPU. So I will flip them back for now and prolly just go with a better TIM instead. I will attach a photo of my rig showing the airflow directions for each fan just in case it will help.

Also I need some advice on the Tim I should use. As I said in my previous post: "I've always had really good luck with AS5 on all my previous builds but this is a whole new animal. Not sure I wanna go through all the hassle with the Indigo Extreme but I will consider it. I also considered using Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra. Not such a complicated application as the IE but supposedly one of the best."

Will the Liquid Ultra be a good choice and will it harm the CPU in any way? Will I see decent temp drops from it or am I kinda at a dead end as far as lowering temps with normal paste? If I am likely to see significant temp drops with the Indigo I can see using it. The new Indigo XS looks promising since it is made for my socket and comes in a two pack. Handy in case I screw up the first application or decide to continue with a custom loop down the road.

I'm just trying to figure out the best solution to achieve the end goal of getting the lowest possible temps without spending a fortune. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6139.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	34076

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Antronman's Avatar

Rads should always be getting air from the outside, where the air is cooler. Never from the inside.
    Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion
    Through passion, I gain strength
    Through strength, I gain victory
    Through victory, my chains are broken
    The Republic of Gamers shall free me

BlackKalgalath PC Specs
    CaseLian Li
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Antronman View Post
    Rads should always be getting air from the outside, where the air is cooler. Never from the inside.
    I understand the logic behind this but when i switched it to that an hour or so ago my temps went up not down. So I'm kind of at a loss on it atm. I may need to reconfigure the whole case to make it work. Such as fresh air from the back/top and exhaust out the front.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array jab383 PC Specs
    jab383 PC Specs
    Motherboard24/7 rig : Maximus VI Extreme
    Processori7 4790K
    Memory (part number)16GB Mushkin Redline 2400 10-12-12-28 + 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 10-12-12-31
    Graphics Card #1AMD Firepro W5000
    Sound CardM6E Supreme FX
    MonitorDell U2413
    Storage #1Kingston SH103S3240G SSD
    Storage #2Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB
    CPU CoolerCustom water loop, Delidded, Liquid Metal TIM
    CaseCoolerMaster HAF XM
    Power SupplyCorsair HX-750
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech M705
    OS Windows 7 64 Pro

Warning -- differing opinions to follow.

I agree that fans for a radiator at the top of the case should blow out, as in your picture with the arrows. That has the added advantage of a consistent air flow over the DRAMs.

As to the question of how much core temperature drops with delidding, I saw 15-18C drop with nearly equal CPU power.

Thinking of it the other way is useful to overclocking. How much more power can the CPU handle within a temperature limit. The absolute limit is the 100C throttling point and you may set a lower one for safety or longevity. Opinions abound. With watercooling before delidding, I could get 135 watts at the point of throttling. That wasn't enough to test overclock stability of my slower CPU at even 4500MHz. After delidding and installing Liquid Pro TIM, that CPU proved stable at 4600MHz, 1.45 Vcore. It draws 175 watts in AVX stress tests at 85C core temp. If and when I try for higher overclocking, it will take even more power that I have some headroom for.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array jab383 PC Specs
    jab383 PC Specs
    Motherboard24/7 rig : Maximus VI Extreme
    Processori7 4790K
    Memory (part number)16GB Mushkin Redline 2400 10-12-12-28 + 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 10-12-12-31
    Graphics Card #1AMD Firepro W5000
    Sound CardM6E Supreme FX
    MonitorDell U2413
    Storage #1Kingston SH103S3240G SSD
    Storage #2Seagate ST1000DM003 1TB
    CPU CoolerCustom water loop, Delidded, Liquid Metal TIM
    CaseCoolerMaster HAF XM
    Power SupplyCorsair HX-750
    Keyboard Logitech G710+
    Mouse Logitech M705
    OS Windows 7 64 Pro

The heat spreader (IHS) is nickel plated copper. As part of the delidding I did, I lapped the IHS -- grinding the top of the IHS with fine grit (400) sandpaper on a flat hard surface -- to get it flatter. That process ground off the nickel and into the copper around the edges of the IHS. It was obvious that there is no aluminum.

There is a quantitative rating for TIMs, stated in terms of watts transferred per degree of temperature difference across the TIM (plus other geometry-related factors). I don't know about Indigo Extreme. AS 5 rates a 9. MX 4 and Gelid rate 8.5. On that same scale, Liquid Pro and Liquid Ultra rate over 80 -- about 9 times more power transfer per degree C. The downside to liquid metal, other than the sensitivity on aluminum, is that it is electrically conductive. If a drop gets among the pins of the CPU socket ... bad things happen. Electically conductive TIM has to be applied sparingly to avoid being squished out. I use Liquid Pro under and over the IHS. Liquid Ultra is supposed to be easier to apply in that it is a gel.

ROG Member Array

here is a water cooling guide I made personally
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...565#post240565
    Last edited by Juggalo23451; 03-01-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2