Cykoth

Error Reinstalling Win 7 on Asus ROG G53SW Laptop

Hey All,

My particular ROG laptop came with a single 500GB harddrive, so I always had plans to purchase an SSD seperately put a fresh install on it to get away from the bloatware and then reinstall and reformat the original 500GB drive. So I watched a VERY helpfull video on youtube on how to properly get to your harddrives. I removed the original drive and set it to the side. Intact and backed up previously using the Asus archive software to 6 DVD's.....just in case. I installed the SSD only, got into BIOS (which was a journey in itself. No where I could see in Asus documentation did they tell you which key to press to enter the BIOS. It's F2 by the way...) made sure AHCI was on instead of IDE and then went onward. Asus does not provide a recovery disk anymore, just a driver disk. So I carefully wrote down the Microsoft Product ID for Win 7 Home Premium. On another computer build, I had purchased previously a Win 7 64-bit Ultimate license/install disk full version. In the past, I've installed "lesser" versions of Windows using a disk like this, but of course entering in the proper product ID number. And Windows has always installed the correct version. This time was different....During the install when I was entering in the product ID I got an error saying that the Windows SKU was wrong. It let me go ahead and install the OS. After getting in the installed system, I tried to enter in the correct Product ID key again. It then gave me an error that the ID I had entered was for a different version of Windows. It was at that point I noticed that the install disk had gone ahead and installed full blown Ultimate on my drive. Which of course is wrong. So now my question, and I think I know part of the answer. Since the install disk defaulted to Ultimate, and I have a Home Premium ID, I'm going to have to re-format and re-install the drive. However, before I go down that road I'm worried I'm just going to get that error again and be right back in the same shape. I called Microsoft activation to get some clarification. They verified that the Product ID on my laptop is valid and is OEM with Asus. But then the operator told me that to install Home Premium I HAD to have a Home Premium install disk......Now I've been building computers since 1988. I've had every flavor of Windows except ME and NT that I've used to build new systems. My experience tells me that what she told me is not correct as I've done the exact same thing with a Vista 64-bit install. But is Win 7 different?

I appreciate any helpful comments, and thanks for reading this long post!

Cykoth

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

I believe what Win7 IS different in that regard unless you have a Universal Install disc, which I've heard of. You could always buy an anytime upgrade to Win7 Ultimate.

Chastity has a link to a universal installation DVD in her driver thread but I doubt that link works. She also provided a link to someone recently to a Win7 DVD at msft, but you'll need to find that one.

Cykoth
    Thanks so much for the reply. I've learned something today.....I guess I thought all full version Microsoft OS install disks were "Universal" but they aren't. I've tried the link to the universal DVD and so far it's downloading.....just very slowly! I'd hate to have to spend $50 on a recovery disk from Asus, but that would be cheaper than upgrading through MS I think.

I wish my AI recovery DVD's had worked. When I tried to use them I got error code 1029.....which apparently means a secret partition either didn't restore right or was missing or something. I've ordered Acronis 2009 for like $13 from Amazon. I still have my original hard drive that has the fully working system, just with some of the bloatware still on it.

WHY do they make it so difficult to own a laptop?

Cykoth

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

Don't forget, after you get Win7 up you still need to install a lot of drivers and SP1.

Good luck, man!

Cykoth
    Well, I've wasted alot of time and money on my problem, but I've found a link, that provides links , to perfectly legal copies of Win 7 in all sorts of flavors and languages.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/wind...languages.html

Hopefully others out there were smarter than me in the first place, or will see this before they throw $50 out the window on an Asus recovery disk that SHOULD be provided with a new laptop.

Cykoth

TeamROG Notebook Member Array Chastity@ASUS's Avatar

http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65733.iso

Download that and burn, it's Win 7 x64 Home Premium. You can then install using your laptop key
    Kicking Ass Since Today

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

to be honest, this is the kind of rare situation where a torrent (for the most part anyway, depending on what you grab a link to) is actually legal, and purposed for.

since you have your key, that's what makes a copy of windows legal. so if this was to come up again, remember.

you would obviously need a copy of HP x64 to use the key you have on, but as long as it was based of a install disc and not something else, you could grab a torrent, get the iso, burn, install, and then use your key to verify.

TeamROG Notebook Member Array Chastity@ASUS's Avatar

The Digital River links are usually very fast, making torrents redundant. Besides, the images are a known source and valid.
    Kicking Ass Since Today