cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV GENE-Z onboard video problem

Retired
Not applicable
Hi,

I am using only the onboard graphic and I don't have a discrete Graphic card. My monitor is connected to the board with HDMI.
After installing the Onboard video Driver, on reboot I lose the video signal just after the Windows 7 screen so monitor goes into Power Saving Mode.
If I boot with Safe Mode I have video on the monitor and if I uninstall the Onboard video Driver and reboot I get the video back in mormal mode after Windows screen.
Do I need to RMA or am I missing something ?

Thank you for your help

PS: my config:
Windows 7 64 bits
Maximus IV GENE-Z
Intel Core I5 2500K
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
SSD M4 64Gb
17 REPLIES 17

Raja
Level 13
What monitor is it and what are the supported resolutions? This is more to do with the OS and monitor than it is to do with the board.

Retired
Not applicable
Hello Raja,
The monitor is a Dell U3011 and the resolution goes to 2560x1600.
But I intend to use it with HDMI and a resolution of 1920x1200.

The OS was a fresh install from DVD with Windows 7 Professional 64bits SP1. Then I just install the Chipset driver from Cd with MB, then Onboard driver and upon reboot and windows screen I lose video signal.

Thanks again

V2-V3
Level 8
Can you boot into safe mode, if so do you loose video?

Does your dell monitor show a dialog box indicating "No signal" "Video Cable Unplugged" "Frequency out of range" "Resolution not supported"? thanks

Retired
Not applicable
Yes I can boot in safe mode, and I have video.

When I boot normally after the "Starting Windows" screen, I see the Icon of HDMI in the Top left and after there is a dialog box with Entering Power Saving Mode. If I click on the Menu of the monitor there is a message saying: There is no signal coming from your monitor.

Thanks

Spathi
Level 9
-Try hotplugging HDMI on the monitor side. i.e. unplug and replug a few times (while booted into windows blind).
-Try the other HDMI port on the monitor.
-Try installing the latest Intel Sandy video drivers (in safe mode or with an old monitor)
-See if there is a windows 7 driver for your monitor.

There are various issues with HDCP, monitors and HDMI with win7. See if there are HDCP issues with the HDMI ports on that monitor on any forums, as that monitor is high res it might be that the DVI is top notch but the HDMI may not have all the same features (or maybe monitor HDMI has advanced and basic features, but not normal features). Most likely it wants video and monitor drivers.

Also changing win7 to maximum power savings might help as it may force more advanced features to be used.

Retired
Not applicable
I tried hotplugging HDMI on the monitor side with both HDMI ports. Each time I plug the connector I saw the HDMI icon on top left then the monitor goes into power saving mode. And it says no signal.

I am already on the latest Intel Sandy video drivers 8.15.10.2509 I tried installing the driver from the cd or with a windows update and I got the same problem.

But I found something interesting:
While I am on Standard VGA Graphics Adaptater I see:
Display: 1. Dell U3011(HDMI) on Standard VGA Graphics Adaptater
And in Advanced Setting, Monitor tab I see the properties button and below Screen refresh rate: Use hardware default setting.

When I install the Intel HD display driver and disable them (or go in safe mode) I see:
Display : Default Monitor On
And in advanced setting , Monitor Tab, I see Default Monitor and the properties button is Grayed so I cannot click it. And the screen refresh rate option is still in Use hardware Default setting.

So it seems that when I install the Intel HD driver, the dell U3011 is not reconized anymore.
And I have the U3011 driver up to date.
Do you know what I could do ?

Thanks

Spathi
Level 9
Not really, I usually google my head off.

You could try here...
http://communities.intel.com/community/tech/graphics

There are posts about HDMI not working and stuff there, I would just work through them, and then post if nothing was useful.

One post said something about 59 being default refresh, 59 and 60work on my monitor, maybe it does not work on all.
Googled... 59.94 vs 60
59.94 seems to be NTSC countries

Googled France NTSC ...
France is a SECAM country, not that I know anything about what that is?, lol.. set it to 50 or 60 manually and see if monitor works.

It would hopefully be something like that anyway.

Retired
Not applicable
have you tried to reinstall your os and reinstall your drivers from the CD? there are newer versions of the lucid driver, but doesnt hurt to try. i just installed an os on a m4g-z today through the igp and everything installed and displayed fine. could have been just a bug or weird install.

Retired
Not applicable
Ok, this is the conclusion to the problem.
I tried to reinstall everything from the CD but the problem was the same so I followed Spathi advice and link.

I think Raja and V2-V3 where right, and Spathi found it. This is a driver and monitor HDMI configuration problem. I think the initial resolution and frame rate is not supported or not reconized the first time with HDMI.
The simple solution would have been to connect the monitor with another video Output and change the settings but as the board only have HDMI I could not do it. So I manage to find another monitor with smaller resolution. I connected it by HDMI to DVI and luckily the monitor displayed a picture on screen. So I changed the video settings and reconnect the dell U3011 and Voila.

Thank you everybody for your help 🙂