cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual 1366 overclocking please!

xeromist
Intel's Nehalem has a lot of potential for overclocking which has been well exploited in the mass market thus far but the one place that we're severely lacking in options is the dual socket Xeon Nehalems. I know that ASUS does not currently have or plan to have such a dual socket board but I'd like to express an interest in having one in case the idea can gain traction.

I have a workstation using the Z8NA-D6 which is a nice board (especially for its size) but I feel somewhat limited. My memory only runs at 1066 even though the memory I had available when I built this can run up to 1600. The processors are running cool and sipping a tiny amount of voltage, well under what EPS can supply but I have no option to make them run faster.

At this point the only option I have is the EVGA SR-2 which has a ton of features that I don't need and a price tag of $600. I know I'm not the only one who would like to see an alternative. In my mind it doesn't even have to differ from a server board that much. Possibly two PCI-E slots for SLI but I don't see a need for the 7 slots that the SR-2 has. Heck, I'd be happy with my D6 if it could overclock with a modded BIOS. I don't even care if I have to void the warranty to do so.

ASUS makes the MARS which are arguably the most overkill cards on the planet but we don't have a motherboard to put them in. 😉
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
36 REPLIES 36

V2-V3
Level 8
I also would like to see ASUS release an Enthusiast BIOS for their flagship server board, I dont even care about hardware changes I just want to be able to Overclock it in the bios.

basic options like Voltages, BCLK, CPU Multiplier, QPI, Uncore, and RAM Dividers are all that is needed. And I will mod the board is the BIOS cant supply enough juice 😄

If ASUS had a dual 1366 board that could be overclocked we would see some purely amazing scores!

Retired
Not applicable
currently not going to happen.

Don't be such a fun killer, Brian! lol

Brian@ASUS wrote:
currently not going to happen.

That's OK, I'm just putting it out there in case it could happen maybe someday 😉 If the wind changes direction, I want to be there to catch it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

DarthBeavis
Level 9
he said currently. if you move the mouse the other direction during a cold bug we might be able to travel forward and time and acquire said motherboard. We would need to take the present Brian to the future so he could talk to future Brian CEO of Asus - in order to get the board.

V2-V3
Level 8
Im thinking we just need to order a few boards and hack one ourselves 😄 thats how read world records are made!

V2-V3 wrote:
Im thinking we just need to order a few boards and hack one ourselves 😄 thats how read world records are made!

I'd have no problem with the idea of writing a custom BIOS if I could even begin to understand how to do so. I'm a programmer, but not that type of programmer. Got any suggested reading? 😄

well to start, we wont kill our selves with trying to write a new BIOS just yet.... best place to start is with in OS OC software like SetFSB
we can contact Abo to make a clock gen for the dual socket motherboards PLL controller. We just need to get the model # off the PLL chip on the motherboard and get a register dump from the system to Abo so he can program for the specific PLL.

know anyone with a ASUS Z8PE-D18(ASMB4-IKVM) Motherboard?

for voltage control we will need to get the model # of the voltage control chips on the board, research the spec sheets for them and do some board level soldering, adding trimmers and such. this will get us the voltage control we want 😄

V2-V3 wrote:
know anyone with a ASUS Z8PE-D18(ASMB4-IKVM) Motherboard?

Afraid not. I know another guy running dual xeons but he hasn't been answering my PM's and I've no idea if he's even got an ASUS board. Why that specific board anyway?