cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Piracy and Violating Terms of Use - Discussions Here?

tkolarik
Level 9
I find it hard to believe the admins and mods allow open discussions here involving software piracy and violations of terms of service in openly discussing Hackintoshs. Apple finds out, Asus will not have enough lawyers!
13 REPLIES 13

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Exactly where are these threads / discussions?

Darnassus wrote:
Exactly where are these threads / discussions?

Maybe OP is referring to this thread:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE&country=&stat...

Must admit I smiled and shook my head when I read the thread.
ROG 750 JH - 256 SSD - 750 HDD - GTX 780M

angrylemon
Level 10
Doubt Apple will do anything, they might sue Asus for using round edges on the screen like the G750 has :rolleyes:

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Well, that thread just makes it look that iOS is desirable I guess.

I don't personally see it as a problem ;d

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
I'm pretty sure there is no piracy going on with Hackinstoshes, most users here buy their OSes for their needs. The only thing that gets broken is Terms of Use.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

A Hackintosh is a violation of Apple's EULA. However, ASUS does not condone nor support this usage. The forum Terms of Use Notice clearly states that the person(s) providing any information to the forum is the one responsible for that information as to its legal constraints. Any discussion of pirated software is acted upon immediately by ASUS.

tkolarik
Level 9
You are wrong, Praz. The thread is still up! OSX Mavericks Install!

In order to install Mavericks on a PC, first a person has to obtain a copy of Apple software, usually illegally from torrents. The other way is to buy an upgrade disk from Apple from an earlier version of Mac OSX. The software is then illegally modified to allow it to install on non-Apple hardware, not including the fact that it violates the Apple ToE. Even if the original upgrade software was purchased, Mavericks is only free to download and upgrade only to existing versions of Mac OSX, no authorized version, then obtaining the software is theft or piracy.

Lot of issues with that discussion thread!

tkolarik wrote:

Hello

Sorry but I am not wrong. Nowhere in that thread will you find any ASUS employees participating. Thus no ASUS support. Also as I noted above the forum member is ultimately responsible for what he is posting per the forum's Terms of Use Notice. You are assuming that any Apple software discussed in that thread was obtained illegally. Unfortunately an assumption cannot be used as fact. If this is a real concern for you I would suggest contacting Apple and if they feel as you do they can discuss this with ASUS

tkolarik wrote:

In order to install Mavericks on a PC, first a person has to obtain a copy of Apple software, usually illegally from torrents. The other way is to buy an upgrade disk from Apple from an earlier version of Mac OSX. The software is then illegally modified to allow it to install on non-Apple hardware, not including the fact that it violates the Apple ToE. Even if the original upgrade software was purchased, Mavericks is only free to download and upgrade only to existing versions of Mac OSX, no authorized version, then obtaining the software is theft or piracy.

Lot of issues with that discussion thread!

you need to realise the difference between illegal and violation of eula. they are not the same.

i bought my copy of mountain lion and then did a free upgrade to mavericks.
I would not expect any official help or support from anyone at Asus.

but if you check my post #6, i am also surprised the thread is still up 😉
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16