ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Rampage IV B.E cause of coil noise?

So as I posted a while back in the radeon section I had graphics cards with terrible coil noise, the card was Asus 290x direct cu II and two cards managed to produce the horrible buzzing sound that changes in frequency depending on the frames on the screen.

As far as I know the noise is in most cases caused by PSUs and GPUs so I contacted the support for Asus Sweden and also Be-Quiet in Germany. Both companies blamed eachothers product and both companies requested i follow a few tests, that didn't change anything.
    The last test now was to completly switch out the GPU and PSU wich I did last night, so the system was now tested with a EVGA nvidia high-end card and still the same bzzzzzzzz, I then switched the PSU from my dark power p10 1200w to a mid range 550w unit and only hooked up the bare minimum (motherboard, 2 SSD, GPU, pump + fans) and ran Unigine 4.0 and still the same buzz.

So Asus told me it could be the motherboard, and told me to contact the store from where i bought it from, the store has agreed to test my motherboard as long as i return it to stock, I informed them that i had cut the heatpipe to vrm to be able to use the I/O shield with waterblocks etc.

Guess i'll just have to wait and see what the store say, but is it possible the motherboard could be the culprit here?

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Inductors often whine when they pass current. You may be stuck for RMA in your case as modifying the board in any way is grounds for RMA refusal with most RMA staff.

yeah, thats what i said aswell to the Asus support in sweden, they said I should try it anyway. I also informed the store from where I bought it and they said to send it in, so I can only cross my fingers atm.

I've never had a board whine before tho and I thought it was odd that it can be the source for GPU whine.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

It is not surprising at all really - all the components you mention use switchmode power supplies which contain inductors. It isn't harmful in any way. It's just that some inductors whine worse than others and some of us are more sensitive to the noise. You may be on a goose chase with this, as even if you RMA any or all of these components you may get replacements that do the same thing.

Well to me it was a surprise, I've never experienced it from motherboards, but I'll take your word on it if its a normal occurence.
    I might be on a goose chase yea, but I have to give it a go, with the side panel open my gf could hear it from another room, granted it was quiet in the appartment, no TV on etc. but still...

right now the fan masks some of the noise and with the side panel on, but when the GPUs are under water aswell the sound will be unbareable