cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750jh 2 x 128gb ssd's

mintys1
Level 7
I have just received this laptop and was concerned to find one of my 128gb ssd's was only showing 95gb with 52gb available...this is the c drive..my other 128gb drive shows 121gb with 121gb available...have i got a lemon or is this correct...hope someone can confirm either way..thx grant.
G750 -JHA -32GB -256GB SSD -512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD
Windows 8.1...Home Ed.
Latest Kit..Sep 2016
G752-VY-32GB- 2 X 256GB SSD'S + 512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO Windows 10 Home Edition.
5 REPLIES 5

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Where are you seeing these capacities? A lot of space is eaten up by the operating system and the recovery partition. Also: is your system still set up for RAID?

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

TiberiusX
Level 7
There are several threads concerning the fragmentation of the drives in the JH model. You can combine the 2 128 partitions and the HDD partitions also.

hmscott
Level 12
mintys1 wrote:
I have just received this laptop and was concerned to find one of my 128gb ssd's was only showing 95gb with 52gb available...this is the c drive..my other 128gb drive shows 121gb with 121gb available...have i got a lemon or is this correct...hope someone can confirm either way..thx grant.

For some reason Asus decided to partition the 2 x 128GB RAID0 into 2 128GB partitions... subtly confusing, right?

You can backup your data in the 2nd 128GB partition if you have already started using it, delete the partition with the Windows Disk Management tool under right-click Manage on the system icon, and then absorb the space into the C drive. But, don't delete any of the recovery partitions.

I don't have the 2 x 128GB RAID0 as my OS drive right now, but here is what it looked like before / during / after the merge while it was my OS drive:re

Before

During

After

If you do an Asus Backtracker USB recovery backup, you can then safely delete the 20GB recovery partition and absorb that into the C drive. I don't have a screen shot of that...
http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS_Backtracker/

Right now I am using my 512GB Samsung Pro 512 as my OS drive while I look for larger M.2 drives.

mintys1
Level 7
Hmscott thanks for your screenshots and info....maybe you can help me more?
I also intend to put a sam pro 512gb as the storage drive, and I intend to do what you describe with the 2x 128gb ssd's. If you combine them do you still leave it in raid 0 or swap it to achi?
Whats the best way to set up the storage drive, and how do you get downloads to automatically go there, or is it a case of manually targeting that particular drive each time? Do you need to create folders like docs pics music as like in the c drive?
Sorry for the newbie questions..thx Grant.
G750 -JHA -32GB -256GB SSD -512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD
Windows 8.1...Home Ed.
Latest Kit..Sep 2016
G752-VY-32GB- 2 X 256GB SSD'S + 512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO Windows 10 Home Edition.

mintys1 wrote:
Hmscott thanks for your screenshots and info....maybe you can help me more?
I also intend to put a sam pro 512gb as the storage drive, and I intend to do what you describe with the 2x 128gb ssd's. If you combine them do you still leave it in raid 0 or swap it to achi?
Whats the best way to set up the storage drive, and how do you get downloads to automatically go there, or is it a case of manually targeting that particular drive each time? Do you need to create folders like docs pics music as like in the c drive?
Sorry for the newbie questions..thx Grant.

The performance benefit of the RAID0 with the hardware RAID0 is too good to pass up, so yes, keep the RAID0 and don't move to single disks with AHCI. Be sure and back up your RAID0 drive frequently - I haven't had a loss of a RAID0 in a very long time, but it is possible - so backup your important stuff often to an external drive - I put the 1TB 2nd drive into a USB 3.0 enclosure for backup of data/os images.

Each program should have the ability to set it's own download area. Firefox, IE, etc all have a preference you can set to pick the download folder location. Most default to your /Users/username/Downloads. You could set that folder as a symlink/shortcut that comes from the folder on the other drive Downloads folder - that catches all the programs and you don't have to worry about setting individual preferences.

http://lifehacker.com/5496652/how-to-use-symlinks-in-windows

I put Steam onto the 2nd drive when I was using the RAID0 for OS, but now I am booted on the 512GB and so I have Steam going to the RAID0 🙂

You might consider looking at the Samsung Evo 1TB instead of the Samsung Pro 512GB, it isn't much more expensive for 2x the space, and only a tad slower. I would likely have gotten it if the timing was such that they were both available when I was looking.