cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice/Criticism on Current Build?

CapnBAMBAM
Level 7
This is about the 3rd computer I have built personally, not including one I chose components for through a website, and I just thought after all my ASUS purchases that I would finally get involved in the ROG community. To start things off I just wanted your all's comments on my current in process build. I never really set a budget for myself I just buy the products as I like them. Probably not the best way to go about things but whatever haha. Let me know what you all think!

Hardware:
OS-Win7 Pro 64bit
CPU-Intel Core i5-4670K, stock at 3.4GHz (waiting to install water cooling to oc)
RAM-16GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 4x4 2133MHz
Motherboard-Asus Maximus VI Formula (still need to get, using the VI Hero now but selling to a friend in a week)
Graphics-Asus Mars 760, still out of box speeds.
Audio-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zxr (need to buy)
PSU-Corsair AX760i
SSD/HDD-Samsung 840 Pro 240GB/Western Digital Black 4TB
WC-Corsair Hydro H105 (need to install)
Case-Corsair Obsidian 750D (still need to buy using the 600D currently)

Peripherals:
Mouse-Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard-Razer Deathstalker Expert
Monitor-LG 29EA93-P (for everyday and mmo)/BenQ XL2420Z (FPS/xbox)
Audio-Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Creative Labs T6160 5.1/Astro A40's 2013 (yes I actually use all 3)

I'm pretty sure I covered it all. Other than dinky add ons no one really cares about like external hdds, etc. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions. Especially if it comes to overclocking since I haven't on anything yet (was waiting to complete build). I don't mean a crazy overclock. I'm just looking for something stable with the current cooling. Thanks all 😄
26 REPLIES 26

kkn
Level 14
just to have stated it, 2x 760 in SLI is faster then that mars card and cheaper.
take a look at the 780ti and compare price whit the 760 mars.
memory, i did get 4x4gig but kinda regret it after that i did not get 2x8 sticks ( one kit ) since it eases up load on the CPU ( where the memory controller is ). ( my opinion, unless taking it from hero to formula )
if you want to go SLI down the road, think about getting a larger PSU, it dont pull more power then the system uses enny way.
or else you may end up getting a new one when/if SLI.

kkn wrote:
just to have stated it, 2x 760 in SLI is faster then that mars card and cheaper.
take a look at the 780ti and compare price whit the 760 mars.

While I agree the Mars 760 is pricey, I don't know about 2x760 being better. It is cheaper, yes, but the mars would do much better in VRAM intensive apps. Remember that when you SLI/CF, you are not combining the cards but alternating between them. Thus, you end up with 2GB VRAM when you SLI GTX 760s, VS 4GB of VRAM on the Mars 760. Along with that, dual-GPU cards are immune to screen tear and frame stutters (caused by having multiple GPUs rendering on 1 monitor), because the GPUs don't need to communicate through a middle man (SLI bridge for Nvidia, Mobo for Rx 2xx) and have a direct line to each other.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

CapnBAMBAM
Level 7
Yeah I know the 780ti would have probably been a better choice, but idk there's something about the rog cards I just love, I guess the design and quality they seem to carry with it. I actually had the Matrix 580 in my previous build and had been waiting for a newer rog nvidia card release. I will say I was hoping it would be 780s instead of the 760s but thats really the only complaint I have with it. As for sli I agree that I would probably need to get a bigger psu. Ive been more of a higher end single card user vs sli lower end cards. But theres also the possibility of two higher ends which I have thought about a couple times. Ive never wanted to deal with the issues of sli though. Have they gotten better? I mainly just put my build on here just to talk about it and peoples opinions on it so keep it coming. (My friends are pretty clueless when it comes to stuff like this however I am helping a friend put together his first pc lol)

CapnBAMBAM wrote:
Yeah I know the 780ti would have probably been a better choice, but idk there's something about the rog cards I just love, I guess the design and quality they seem to carry with it.

1- The 780ti 'is' a better choice and ASUS does their own pcb's well. I have been using two 780DC2OC's lately and have an R9290DC2OC in now and all of ASUS's cards are sturdily built. But if you're stuck on an ROG card don't overlook the "ASUS ROG Poseidon GTX 780".
2- I just tried a Sound Blaster Zx and after 30 minutes the Xonar Essence STX was back in the machine. I watch and listen to a lot of music dvd/cd's and the Essence gives considerably better sound. I don't think the Zxr is a leap above the Zx but the ASUS is, sound wise. And for what it's worth, the Xonar DX has better sound than the Blaster Zx.

Alienwolf
Level 7
There is more to a ROG or a Mars card then just speeds. The construction and design is out standing on them. As far as performance just check out the reviews on the Mars 760 and it beats most every 780 and gives the 780ti a run. They OC great must be those higher end parts that help. As stated you have far less problems when both gpu's are on the same card, now that said I have "0" no sli problems running 2 in quad the drivers run smooth and I get very high FPS across the board on BF4 and anything else I play. Oh one last thing the Mars just down right looks good. IMO
Custom Area 51
Asus Maximus VI Hero
I7 4670K
Coursair H100i
PNY 2133 cas 10
Dual Mars 760 Quad
Raid 0 Samsung 840 500g OS and Orgin
Raid 0 OCz 240 for Steam
Corsair AX1200 Mod

Chris_Manico
Level 10
Isn't the Mars in essence, A SLI set up?, But instead of using 2 cards, both GPU and the VRam for each GPU is on a single card, and I'm pretty sure there's even an internal SLI connector. That being said, I'm pretty sure the Mars is still restricted to using 2 GB of Vram per GPU, as it would be using the dual card sli setup.
Corsair Carbide 540 Air ~ AMD FX 8350 ~ Asus Crosshair V Formula Z ~ 1901 BIOS ~ Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 MHz 2x8 Gb CMD16X3M2A2400C10 ~ EVGA GTX 1080 Ti ~ Corsair AX860i PSU ~ Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb SATA 3 SSD ~ WD 4 TB 7200 RPM 64 MB ( RMA'd ) ~ Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ~ Corsair SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speakers ~ 27 Samsung SA550 HD LED Monitor ~

Chris Manico wrote:
Isn't the Mars in essence, A SLI set up?, But instead of using 2 cards, both GPU and the VRam for each GPU is on a single card, and I'm pretty sure there's even an internal SLI connector. That being said, I'm pretty sure the Mars is still restricted to using 2 GB of Vram per GPU, as it would be using the dual card sli setup.

Yep, correctamundo!

Chris Manico wrote:

Correct it is like having two single 760's in sli..except you get two card operation with only using one dual slot card. The other difference is it uses a PCI Express bridge chip to bridge between the two gpu's. So you can run two cards much easier and scale better than trying to run four single cards. I get a 3dmark11 score of P18859 which is about 8000 above a single Mars 760. The big draw back is yes it only has 4g memory 2 per gpu wish it had 6 but I find unless your using extreme resolution there is not a buffer problem. Is it the best no is it for everyone no is there a place for it yes. It's like most stuff a different option.
Custom Area 51
Asus Maximus VI Hero
I7 4670K
Coursair H100i
PNY 2133 cas 10
Dual Mars 760 Quad
Raid 0 Samsung 840 500g OS and Orgin
Raid 0 OCz 240 for Steam
Corsair AX1200 Mod

CapnBAMBAM
Level 7
Sorry I have been away guys, family member had an awful wreck and was luck to walk away with just a bruised up shin and scratch on head, let alone at all. But did you really notice that big of a difference between the two sound cards? I do know the zxr has the burr brown dac so there is a little difference between the zxr and zx. Anyone has first hand exp with zxr and the stx? As for the poseidon, I did see that before buying the mars, but since I am still in the process of building this I couldnt justify spending the extra $350 especially since I dont have a custom wc loop. I must admit I do think both cards look amazing. And alienwolf how do you like that dual mars setup?? I bet itd be amazing seeing two of those in a case!! Haha that is one thing Ive thought about doing once the rig is complete