cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Cooling advice please.

Foxseiz
Level 7
I have a Maximus VI Formula and I want to get a water cooling with it, but I have the liquid cooling from CM, it's the Nepton 280L.

So can you advice me something about this?
I'm thinkin' that I'm just gonna leave alone the cpu with the liquid cooler and build the water cooling that circulates in mobo, vga and etc. except cpu ofc.

I'm thinkin' to buy the block, tank and pump from EK.
which is this one.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I'm planning to buy a 2x R9 280X, if I'm gonna put them there, aren't they're gonna block the water cooling block?

So I have:
CASE: NZXT Phantom 630 Case
RAM: Ripjaws 16gb ram, 8gb each.
CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 3.4ghz
HDD: Seagate 2TB
GPU: Planning to buy a ASUS R9 280X
PSU: Cooler Master 850W
MoBo: Maximus VI Formula

Does it makes sense?
10 REPLIES 10

kkn
Level 14
list PC parts to make it more easy to help you.

PowerOver9K
Level 9
I wouldn't put the Mobo on water. You don't need it.. I am very familiar with that mobo as I used to have it.

Plus the mobo block is made of alumnium and I don't care if ASUS did a salt water stress test on the block, it's not the same as having it in a aluminum + copper loop. One micro scratch and it's going to rust like the dickens.

I would put your GPU/CPU On a loop.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

Can I use my existing liquid cooling for water cooling??

Retired
Not applicable
yes, agree with you Power..

There is no real need going h2o on the vrm's

But often we do things because its fun, and really not needed, i understand you..

The EK motherboard kit would work great in a loop, but as power says, skip the idea of using the stock solution..

Those small PCH waterblocks can be a pain in the ass, if you running SLI it will mess things up with the tubing, and that block is not at all needed, only make tubing pulling more difficult, to make it look good in the end.. hard to arrange is another word.. sorry for my English

I personally skip those blocks, and only go for the vrm blocks..

They are like a zit in the butt, when running tour de France

Retired
Not applicable
to cool the motherboard blocks with the nepton? No, not unless you totally modify the cooler, and i wouldn't go that way..

but yes, you can keep it for cooling the cpu

Your best of with a custom loop, if you want to add HW in the loop

you will be needing

1. tubng
2.fittings
3.balancer
4.pump/top
5. cpu block, or whatever blocks you want in the build
6. radiator
7. a pre mixed water formula, like EK blood red ( example)

WhitePaw wrote:
to cool the motherboard blocks with the nepton? No, not unless you totally modify the cooler, and i wouldn't go that way..

but yes, you can keep it for cooling the cpu

Your best of with a custom loop, if you want to add HW in the loop

you will be needing

1. tubng
2.fittings
3.balancer
4.pump
5. cpu block, or whatever blocks you want in the build
6. radiator
7. a pre mixed water formula, like EK blood red ( example)

I'm just wondering if i'm gonna buy that maximus vi formula blocks from ek, am I able to fit 2 gpu's there? too congested right?

Retired
Not applicable
Congested?

By the look of the of things, there should be enough room for a second vga card..

The PCH fittings will run above the PCB of the second card yes

I let others answer to this, since i never mount the water PCH blocks myself.. dont like pulling tubing around the globe..

skywalker311
Level 8
White Paw is so right. You dont have to water cooled the VRM/Mosfets (crosschill) or the Z87 chipset ,or the ram. It so fun to do it and it looks so kick a$$. If you go that way it will cost around $1000 to $1500 for everything. You need all the water blocks, from full boards sets, cpu, ram, gpu. Then at least two rads with the fans, water pump, fittings, tubing and res. You have to get the right water block for the hardware that you have and you need to know what size rad your case will hold. If this is your first time water cooling then I would go with a kit. You can get a EK or XSPC for around $200 to $300 and it have everything you need to get started. Then if you want to cool the video card then you can buy a water block for the card that you have and add it to the loop. Just get all the hardware together and what kind of case you are going to use and how much you can spend on your water cooling setup then list them and we can help you get a good setup.
Phanteks enthoo primo, i7-4770k, ASUS MVIF, 16GB G.Skill Trident X Ram, ASUS 780 Ti DC2O, Samsung 120GB and crucial M500 480gb SSD, 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive, NZXT 850W power supply
EK Supremacy, EK ASUS MVIF Water Block, EK Monarch Series X4 Ram, EK ASUS 780 Ti DCII, EK 420 Cool Stream Rad, XPSC 240mm RAD,Monsoon Series Two Dual Bay Reservoir, Swiftech MCP655-PWM-Water Pump, Monsoon Compression Fittings & Tubbing, Mayhems Pastel Red with Mayhems ultra pure h20.

PowerOver9K
Level 9
Take the $100 you were going to use for the motherboard chipset and buy a 120GB SSD and throw your OS on it. I recommend Samsung EVO. I have two of the 120GB drives. My OS sits on one. Crap I use a lot's temp files are on the other one. I have a 2x2TB drive for everything else.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity