cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just ordered a 4930k!!! need tips before it arrives please!!!

Masterbobo
Level 7
Im sooooooo stoked!!!!!!! I just threw in my order off newegg, came with the latest final fantasy game too lol

Just a few questions if you guys would kindly help me get off to a great start with the new 22nm cpu!

First, what bios does it need? and what is the latest bios for the RIVE?

Also what is the easiest way for me to update the bios through windows cause that's easier for me.

What progam is the windows bios updating software called? and does it automatically update it for me? or do I need to DL the file?

Also what do I need to do to enable pci e 3.0? anyting? in bios tabs?

and how do I check which bios I have now? a program through windows is easier or in a bios tab?

Thanks in advance!!!
Rampage IV Extreme
55" Samsung 3D LED 1080p
19" NEC side monitor
4930k @ 3.9ghz (h100i)
Dominator GT 2133mhz 16gb
2xDomiatorGT RAM cooling fans
OCZ Vertex 4 RAID0 2x256gb
Silent Pro GOLD 1200
3xGTX 770's 4GB Windforce TRI-SLI
Sound Blaster Zx
Logitech Z5500 digital 5.1
2xLG 3D Blu ray burners
Silverstone Multi USB3 card reader
2x4terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drives
1x1terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drive
10 Antec tri cool 120mm fans
Razor Deathadder mouse
Corsair 600t
Win7-64bit
9 REPLIES 9

meankeys
Level 13
I would not recommend flashing the bios from windows. These new motherboards allow you to flash from the bios itself. Plus you should get your board up and running on the default bios first to make sure everything is working properly. Also that board should have dual bios chips and if you want you can flash to the second chip the new bios if you want to and keep the original. Heres the best way to flash your bios I took this link from HiVizmans sig.

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

I have done this many times and it works great. Your board may not be listed but the basic percedure is there. Just rename your bios R4E.CAP and place it in the root of your USB storage drive formatted to FAT16 or FAT32. The latest bios for your board is 4802

Good luck with her
Mkeys

Masterbobo
Level 7
Bios version 3602 x65 date 3/15/2013

Do I NEED to update the bios to throw in the 4930k cpu? or will it recognize it with the bios version 3602?

I will update it if I will get better performance out of my chip and 3 gtx 770s but if it wont make a difference to windows 7 64 bit I wont..

thanks for your response meankeys if you can shed anymore light please do, or anyone else that would chime in I would appreciate cause I cant tell what "type" of bios I have or if I need to actually update it to recognize the 4930k im about to drop in in 2 days..

thanks a lot guys..
Rampage IV Extreme
55" Samsung 3D LED 1080p
19" NEC side monitor
4930k @ 3.9ghz (h100i)
Silent Pro GOLD 1200
Sound Blaster Zx
2xLG 3D Blu ray burners
Razor Deathadder mouse
Corsair 600t
Win7-64bit

meankeys
Level 13
Masterbo

My apologies. I miss read your question. You will most likely need to update. I see many updates to your bios. Also depending on the bios version now you may need to convert it to the .cap from the .rom . I read here it tells you to

If your BIOS version is 1404 or older, please install the BIOS Converter first before you update the BIOS. The BIOS Converter is available in the BIOS Utilities.

Go to your bios and go to the Advanced tab - then under EZ Flash utility. at the top of that page it should tell you what bios your currently running. I never had to use this so hopefully someone who is more familiar with this board will chime in.

meankeys wrote:
Masterbo

My apologies. I miss read your question. You will most likely need to update. I see many updates to your bios. Also depending on the bios version now you may need to convert it to the .cap from the .rom . I read here it tells you to

If your BIOS version is 1404 or older, please install the BIOS Converter first before you update the BIOS. The BIOS Converter is available in the BIOS Utilities.

Go to your bios and go to the Advanced tab - then under EZ Flash utility. at the top of that page it should tell you what bios your currently running. I never had to use this so hopefully someone who is more familiar with this board will chime in.

Thanks bro i appreciate the help.

Well i have the 3602 bios version that was released on 3\15\13 but the bios tab does not specify
If it is a .cap or .rom so how can i tell?

Also if anyone knows if i NEED to convert the type would help cause i have no idea what type of bios i have 😕

Can someone please help! 😞
Rampage IV Extreme
55" Samsung 3D LED 1080p
19" NEC side monitor
4930k @ 3.9ghz (h100i)
Silent Pro GOLD 1200
Sound Blaster Zx
2xLG 3D Blu ray burners
Razor Deathadder mouse
Corsair 600t
Win7-64bit

Just download the latest BIOS for the RIVE from the MB page...support section http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/#support

Then put the file on the root of the C drive or alone on a pendrive and use EZ flash utility in the BIOS...Tools section....see manual. You need BIOS 4403 or later for the 4930k...latest 4802. Best not to do BIOS flash from OS as has been said...
Your BIOS is CAP format already....no renaming etc. needed with EZ flash just point to BIOS file and click....
PCIe 3.0 is default so with the 4930k and a compatible card this should be default....if not well, we'll cross that bridge...

http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2063059

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Just download the latest BIOS for the RIVE from the MB page...support section http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/#support

Then put the file on the root of the C drive or alone on a pendrive and use EZ flash utility in the BIOS...Tools section....see manual. You need BIOS 4403 or later for the 4930k...latest 4802. Best not to do BIOS flash from OS as has been said...
Your BIOS is CAP format already....no renaming etc. needed with EZ flash just point to BIOS file and click....
PCIe 3.0 is default so with the 4930k and a compatible card this should be default....if not well, we'll cross that bridge...

http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2063059

YESSIR!! ARNE TO THE RESCUE AGAIN!!!!

Thanks a lot bro I really appreciate the way you broke it down so simply..

just DL the latest file,
put it on a flash drive with nothing else on it
go into bios hit the ez flash tab
pick the file and BOOM! DONE!

I am now ready for my Ivy Bridge E 4930k!

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in, especially Arne!!!!!!!
Rampage IV Extreme
55" Samsung 3D LED 1080p
19" NEC side monitor
4930k @ 3.9ghz (h100i)
Silent Pro GOLD 1200
Sound Blaster Zx
2xLG 3D Blu ray burners
Razor Deathadder mouse
Corsair 600t
Win7-64bit

Gunslinger
Level 7
Just to save you some hassle, if you're running an old bios on the your RIVE, I would update to the newest prior to installing the new CPU.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
🙂 cool beans! Fingers crossed your 4930k us a good-un!

meankeys
Level 13
Cool! good luck Masterbobo

Arne you are da man 🙂