cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Help) How to update BIOS: BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors

enclavedzn
Level 7
I have no idea how to update my BIOS, as I have never done it before, any help? Also i'v read this update is different from the standard BIOS updates.

Link to the new update: http://rog.asus.com/304032014/asus-gaming-motherboards/...

Specs: (Windows 7 Professional 64bit)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Mobo: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Power: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
12 REPLIES 12

Chino
Level 15
Download the BIOS file onto a FAT32 formatted USB pendrive. Go into your BIOS and find the EZ Flash utility. Point it to the file's location and let it do its thing.

Chino wrote:
Download the BIOS file onto a FAT32 formatted USB pendrive. Go into your BIOS and find the EZ Flash utility. Point it to the file's location and let it do its thing.

I used enclaveecn's solution on my ASUS M51AC desktop PC and it worked great. I updated from the factory default BIOS to v 1002, by using a USB 3.0 thumb drive with the BIOS downloaded from the ASUS support site.

Zka17
Level 16
Welcome to the ROG Forum, enclavedzn!

Why do you want to upgrade your BIOS? You should do that only if you have issues... you know, if something is not broken, do not try to fix it...

Zka17 wrote:
Welcome to the ROG Forum, enclavedzn!

Why do you want to upgrade your BIOS? You should do that only if you have issues... you know, if something is not broken, do not try to fix it...

Hello

This especially applies here as the this BIOS update is for CPUs that are not released yet.

Praz wrote:
Hello

This especially applies here as the this BIOS update is for CPUs that are not released yet.

Out of curiousity and for furture reference, what CPU's would the BIOS update apply to?

I see that there is a new BIOS update for the ASUS Z87-PRO (1707) from Dec 2013.

Zka17
Level 16
I'm really not for BIOS updates if everything is working correctly, but this time it really seems that would be a mistake...

Zka17 wrote:
I'm really not for BIOS updates if everything is working correctly, but this time it really seems that would be a mistake...

Hello Kka17,

Just so I understand you quoted statement, you are recommending a BIOS update to the 1707, correct?

Tokens210
Level 10
If I understood the update correctly, it was adding support for 4th gen Intel processors, so any haswell one, so far broadwell is supposed to be an 1150 socket as well but they will most likely be called 5th gen

The motherboards already supported the haswell processors, the update details said it was for fixing possible issues with the cpu, as well as compatibility issues with some ram speeds also list improved system stability which is all they say so it could be a number of things

Just a tid bit extra if u didn't notice it while there, the 1707 is the bios, the one above listed as 1.5 is just an installer to flash the bios thru windows, although I'd probly suggest using a flash stick, JJ has a video on YouTube detailing everything you'd need to set it up, IMO the app is nice but from the date its pretty new so I'd personally do it the old trusted way, not to mention it get you used to things in case you ever had an issue and needed to do it the USB way
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The BIOS update utility is for the following CPUs. Other to be released CPUs including K series are not publicly known at this time.

CELERON G1840
CELERON G1850
PENTIUM G3240
PENTIUM G3440
I3-4150
I3-4350
I3-4360
I5-4590
I5-4690
I7-4790