cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i overclock my i7 930

darktron
Level 8
i like to know if it safe have the core tamp running at 70c to 77c max load?
i just got my rampage 3 extreme and loving it.
i have been doing a lot of homework on the i7 930 voltage and stuff.
i have got it running at 4.0 ghz but just don't like see the core tamp going that high when using prime95.
i just like to know if it is fine ?
i'm kind of new to overclocking 😃
31 REPLIES 31

xeromist
Sure, under 80 is just fine. I'd really start to worry if it was over 90c consistently. I've had my CPU hit 90c during overclocking tests and there didn't seem to be any damage.

Also, try playing with the memory voltage and QPI, it's possible that you don't actually need that much voltage to the CPU and might be able to run a bit cooler by backing it down. If you've hit a sweet spot then I'd say you're doing well to hit 4.0 and less than 80c (assuming it's stable).
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

just let you know i'm using the noctua nh-d14

i have cpu voltage at 1.3000v
i have qpi/dram core voltage on auto

xeromist
That's a nice vcore voltage so if you want to work on your temps further I would note the automatic voltages and see if it remains stable when you lower them a bit. Vcore is the biggest heat generator but the other voltages heat other parts of the CPU and can have an overall warming effect. Overall though I'd say you are fine where you are at, it just depends on how much tweaking you want to do.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

i have got my cpu at 3.8 ghz with the core tamp with max load is at 55c

darktron
Level 8
will the i7 930 have a safe vcore voltage it is 1.3500v
the stock is 1.8000v and the extreme 1.5500v

Kaboom
Level 8
1.3V-1.35 is a good safe range to keep your voltages at for your CPU. You shouldn't need more than that.

darktron
Level 8
so far 24 hr test i got my pc overclock to 4.004 ghz and i'm running the cpu voltage 1.2675v and the core tamp at 68c-74c in max load . later on going to take pic and post it to see if i need to do any fixing in the bio so you guy can give me a hand on what i need to fix in bio

Retired
Not applicable
What kind of cooling are you using darktron? Stock? Air? Water? Chilled-Water? DICE? LN2? If your still on stock, I would highly recommend getting premium air or some water cooling. It's always been my experience that overclocking a proc high but stable is never good over extended periods of time on stock or even air unless its something like a True Copper Heatsink. Also be sure to experiment with all your setting, figure out how to fine tune things down, you might drop the temp or increases the processing power by small amounts through unseen means. Just the other day V2-V3 and I got my wolfdale E8600 up to 5 ghz on Air cooling in a Rampage Extreme board.... we also some how managed to kill the board but I think its a short in the system.