cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIVE pch motherboard fan died? where can i get a replacement?

Masterbobo
Level 7
I cant believe this, after I blew out my rig with compressed air, the little PCH fan that's on the bottom right side died on me! damn it just as I finished installing the 4930k and blew out any dust in the case, I guess iblew too hard on the fan itself and it somehow someway broke, I knew this was possible if it over-spins from compressed air, but I didn't think it would actually happen :"( what should I do? where should I get a replacement and how difficult is is to replace because I don't see any screws on the top of the fan mounted heatsink =( I just stuck a 80mm fan blowing kinda on it threw the 3 770s hopeing it made up for the tiny little fan inside the heatsink on the board that refuses to spin now... I know its not a settting in the bios since I upgraded to a new bios right? or a new chip? the fan just threw in the towel right?

arrrrrgggrr nothing ever goes smoothly!!!! 😞
Rampage IV Extreme
55" Samsung 3D LED 1080p
19" NEC side monitor
4930k @ 3.9ghz (h100i)
Dominator GT 2133mhz 16gb
2xDomiatorGT RAM cooling fans
OCZ Vertex 4 RAID0 2x256gb
Silent Pro GOLD 1200
3xGTX 770's 4GB Windforce TRI-SLI
Sound Blaster Zx
Logitech Z5500 digital 5.1
2xLG 3D Blu ray burners
Silverstone Multi USB3 card reader
2x4terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drives
1x1terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drive
10 Antec tri cool 120mm fans
Razor Deathadder mouse
Corsair 600t
Win7-64bit
5 REPLIES 5

extreme
Level 7
i dont think its your fan just unpin and reconnect that fans cable.

Are you sure the fan is indeed dead? Disable PCH fan control in the BIOS, and see if the fan works. On the default setting, the fan will only spin when the PCH reaches around 80 degrees C.
| MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | RAM: 8x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (CL10) | CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k (4.2GHz, -0.005v) | GPU: 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 FE | SSD: 2x Crucial MX300 750GB | PSU: Corsair AX1200 |

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Whenever you blow any fans with compressed air, it is imperative that you don't allow the blades to spin, because you can indeed over-spin small fans and destroy the bearings. Think about how much faster that compressed air is moving than the fan normally pushes the air.

Masterbobo
Level 7
OMFG FALSE ALARM!!! PHEWW!!!!

Thanks a lot for the quick responses guys, but it was actually because since I just updated to the latest bios,

the new bios automatically threw it on auto or adjusted it differently than the last bios, cause I used to see it spin at all times.

So in the new bios there is a section for PCH fan control and I just threw it on duty cycle 50% and now it spins at all times, I like

to keep it that was cause I want the air to circulate down there because its buried underneath 3 GTX 770 windforces that throw tons

of hot air all over the place.

Hopefully others will pick up this tip too! PCH fan settings are in the bios! and if you already knew that then im a noob on this one! lol

Thanks again you guys! Happy fragging!
Rampage IV Extreme
55" Samsung 3D LED 1080p
19" NEC side monitor
4930k @ 3.9ghz (h100i)
Dominator GT 2133mhz 16gb
2xDomiatorGT RAM cooling fans
OCZ Vertex 4 RAID0 2x256gb
Silent Pro GOLD 1200
3xGTX 770's 4GB Windforce TRI-SLI
Sound Blaster Zx
Logitech Z5500 digital 5.1
2xLG 3D Blu ray burners
Silverstone Multi USB3 card reader
2x4terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drives
1x1terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drive
10 Antec tri cool 120mm fans
Razor Deathadder mouse
Corsair 600t
Win7-64bit

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes that surprised more than a few! You can also set user mode and set min temp 40 degrees and it will spin constantly and quietly....