cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q Code AE- Maximus V Formula (BOOT LEGACY EVENT)

CortanaV
Level 7
I've been using this setup since June 2013 without incident. Last night I attempted to turn on my PC and it got past the ROG screen, but the OS/Windows was not being a thing. The motherboard was displaying AE for boot legacy event. But I have no idea how to mend it, let alone what caused it.

I can access BIOS just fine. The only modification as of late was an alcohol-induced install of the 2TB harddrive two weeks ago (and the subsequent removal of a dying 500gb harddrive) and installing the new South Park game from a disc.

I've heard that the Razer Taipan mouse can **** with things upon booting up (this is vicious rumor, but still), and I just added that to my setup after getting it as a gift (I won't admit to buying it myself).

Setup:

• Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K
  • ASUS Maximus V FORMULA/THUNDERFX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Samsung 840 Series 2.5 inch 120GB SATA III internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7TD120BW (THIS IS WHERE THE OS IS LOCATED)
  • EVGA GeForce GTX780 3GB GDDR5 384bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready Graphics Card (03G-P4-2781-KR)
  • 32GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-19200 2400MHz Trident X Series CL10 (10-12-12-31) Quad Channel kit
  • WD Red 2 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD20EFRX
  • And some other 1 TB harddrive.
13 REPLIES 13

Nate152
Hello CortanaV, Welcome to the ROG forum. Try disconnecting all the drives except the Samsung 840 and see if your pc starts. If it starts connect the other drives one at a time to see which one is causing the AE code. The Trident X series ram is dual channel.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello CortanaV, Welcome to the ROG forum. Try disconnecting all the drives except the Samsung 840 and see if your pc starts. If it starts connect the other drives one at a time to see which one is causing the AE code. The Trident X series ram is dual channel.
I'll be sure to try that when I get home from work.

(And I think I just copy/pasted my RAM info from my Amazon order history. Damn them and their falsified product info!)

Nate152
It is listed as quad channel because you have 4 perfectly matched sticks. Your motherboard runs in dual channel.

CortanaV
Level 7
Removed both extra drives and the problem persists. I reinstalled the OS for science (windows 7 home premium), as I had nothing to really lose off the SSD. It reinstalled okay, other than my video card totally not existing according to the PC. Nor does it believe in my Ethernet port driver existing.

But, at least the PC is somewhat accessible now. I am planning on grabbing someone in person to help out, but further suggestions are appreciated.

Nate152
Have you tried clearing the cmos with the green lighted button on the back of your motherboard? Power down your machine and hold the button in for a slow count of 3. Is the bios recognizing your gpu?

No, I have not. Will attempt this evening.

Nate152
OK, after you clear the cmos go to GPU Dimm post on the extreme tweaker tab and see if your 780 is showing up there.

CortanaV
Level 7
The only thing listed int here is "nVidia GPU, running at x16 Native" which is obviously not what I was hoping for.

Nate152
That is what it should be showing. Make sure the Samsung 840 pro is plugged into an intel 6 GB/s sata port. Are you able to make it to windows yet?