cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx ATKOSD2.exe

City_Builder
Level 7
Hi,

I started up my G74 sx laptop this morning and found a black box about 4 or 5 inches wide by about 4 inches tall in the center of my screen. There is no way to interact with it, and it's just totally black.

I started killing processes in the Windows 7 task manager and when I got to the ATKOSD2.exe process and killed it, the black box went away.

I rebooted and the black box returned, so I killed the ATKOSD2.exe process again in task manager and the black box went away again.

This black box was not there last night when I shut down the laptop so I'm stumped what it is that the ATK package is doing that it is producing the black box in the middle of my screen but I'd sure like to fix it.

Can anybody advise me on what to do to get it so that this damn black box doesn't show up every time that I reboot my computer?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

ChrissMyazz
Level 7
Some malware camouflages itself as ATKOSD2.exe, particularly when located in the c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder.
Since the original Asus ATKOSD2.exe (yes... it's an Asus executable) has no visible windows, my guess is that this is indeed malware.

Normally, the program can be removed using the control panel Add\Remove programs applet.
If not... To delete: open folder: create new folder - same name, move .exe file into it. Rname the folder & delete it.

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/ATKOSD2-9057-program.aspx

Hope this helps... CM

Thanks, I don't know if it was malware or not, but it wasn't in the Windows or the System directories of Windows and it was never detected as malware, adware, spyware or virus by the programs I use to detect that sort of thing. It used to be in the Asus sub directory where I first installed the Asus programs.

In any event I grew tired of this black box showing up on my screen every time that I restarted Windows so I simply renamed the sub directory for ATKOSD2 and the black box has never returned.

I do regular scans of my computer with the Windows security essentials software and do random scans of my computer (at least once a month anyway) using both a malware, spyware and or adware type of detectors to keep it clean. So far on this Asus laptop I've not yet had detection of anything harmful other than one known minor virus that I had kept around in the past for testing different things.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'm not going to worry about it any further since I've just deleted that whole sub directory and it's not shown any lack of function in this laptop by doing so.

Corrections: It used to be installed in a sub directory of:
C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package

Changed Windows defender stated above to Windows security essentials to clarify which I am using.

ChrissMyazz
Level 7
You're welcome, glad it worked out for you there 🙂

CM

As a great necromancer, I shall resurrect this thread, because it has not been fully answered.
I was searching for a solution to this problem. There was no convenient solution around, so I decided to fix it myself and share the knowledge as a good person. 🙂

My laptop is ASUS K56 and it has an Ivy Bridge i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM and NVIDIA GT740M GPU, so it should be more than sufficient to display the 3D OSD. But it isn't. This implies bad coding from ASUS.

The problem is that the 3D On-screen display (OSD) is a resource hog. Note that the 3D gives a big resource hit when your laptop is using a 5400RPM 2.5" mechanical HDD. The performance hit is negligible with SSD.

Following my guide, You will replace the 3D OSD with 2D OSD, which will solve things the easy way. You will have an OSD for volume and display brightness setting information without lag and performance hit. The guide is fairly easy and only requires average computer knowledge.

1) Go to your ASUS ATK package location. Default is C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATKOSD2
2) backup ATKOSD2.exe (put it in an archive - zip or rar)
3) delete ATKOSD2.exe (if in use, End Task in Task Manager)
4) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey
5) copy ATKOSD.exe
6) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATKOSD2
7) paste ATKOSD.exe
😎 rename ATKOSD.exe to ATKOSD2.exe
9) Open ATKOSDMgr.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATKOSD2 and tick "Enable ASUS On-screen Display"
10) Restart and your 3D OSD will be replaced with 2D OSD!