ROG Enthusiast Array

Noob to overclocking... could some please help me get a decent overclock?

I am a noob to overclocking.. I tried the AI - Suite 3 but it locked my core speed to 800 HHz. So I restored to default settings in BIOS. I am assuming it's runng stock CPUZ shows/fluctuates 800 MHz to 3900 MHz. I just don't want to go and start turning things up I really have not learned enough about. I was just trying to get a 4200 to 4500 overclock. I don't want to break any records. Most of all I just really want to learn a little. If anyone has the will and there time it would be greatly appretiated... My system specs should post in my signature..... Thanks........... ROG FTW
    Asus Maximus VI Formula MB, Intel Core I7 4770K CPU, Thermaltake Overseer RX-II Case, H100 Corsair Cooler Push/Pull Config, 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 Ram, EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Classified w/ EVGA A w/ Backplate, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G Gold Power Supply, Window 7 Ultimate x64,

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

I would suggest you to start with reading...

In the Maximus VI series motherboard section of this Forum you should go through this one:
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...untry=&status=

If something is not clear, just ask!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Read??? What??? Why didn't I think of that???...........I have been reading, reading, watching YouTube videos, and more reading... I have some basic knowledge but I just felt uncomfortable messing with stuff I had never messed with before. I was just asking for a little help to be sure I was not going to burn something up. But that didn't turn out like I hoped either. It's kinda of like driving a airplane for the first time. I wouldn't want to just jump in by myself and take off, even if I read every book and passed every test top of the class student....That could easily get messy real fast.....LOL

Anyway with all your great help, or should I say advice. And due to the lack of any interest in other fellow enthusiasts. I went ahead and jumped in that plane and I think I did pretty good. I managed to get a stable OC at 4600MHz with spare temp room to push it further. The 4600MHz is plenty and actually more than I was really even after. But it would have been nice to have some experience to refer to if needed.......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overclock 4600MHz.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	34285
    Asus Maximus VI Formula MB, Intel Core I7 4770K CPU, Thermaltake Overseer RX-II Case, H100 Corsair Cooler Push/Pull Config, 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 Ram, EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Classified w/ EVGA A w/ Backplate, EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G Gold Power Supply, Window 7 Ultimate x64,

Mate, chill... - you've said that you're a noob in OC'ing... haven't mentioned that you have done your reading... usually those who do, have more specific questions...

Now, You gave a piece of info by that CPU-Z screnshoot... - you're running way to high voltages than that CPU would handle safely!!! Not on a H100 anyway...

If you have read the guide on my link, then you have missed this:
    "There is of course a side-effect. Having power circuitry on-die adds heat. Haswell processors run hot when voltage levels are increased. A very good air cooler is required for voltage levels above 1.15V.

1.20V-1.23V requires use of closed loop water coolers.

At 1.24V-1.275V dual or triple radiator water cooling solutions are advised.

This is assuming the processor will be run at full load for extended periods of time.

Using Vcore higher than 1.275V is not advised for 4 core 8 thread CPUs under full load as there are very few cooling solutions that can keep temps below thermal throttling point.
    "

Right the 4th paragraph at the beginning...

The trick with OC'ing is/are the temps... for the CPU are the core temps - you should keep those below 70-75C for safety...

FYI, the BIOS of your mobo has a function to save screenshoots with BIOS settings... post those with your particular settings, that way you may get more to the point answers...

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks for looking at my stuff..... this is the reasons why I wanted experience. I have been reading information from many places the last couple of days I think I'm a little burnt out... I just wanted you to look at this new info if you would and got the time. I am just a little confused with the CPU-Z Vcore and the VIN5 on HWMonitor.... Isn't the VIN5 on HWMonitor (1.776v) PSU? Because that's what the Core voltage on CPU-Z shows... the same Voltage. I am confused here?

Name:	Volts 4600MHz OC A.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	34307

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Hey mu5tang71

first up you'll have to know that if you have more than one monitoring program working at the same time you can easily get the wrong readings. This even applies to installed programs that you don't have open. If you have AIsuite installed for example you shouldn't install Corsair link or any other monitoring software if you want to have reliable feedback from your system.

Also CPUz latest version is 1.68

Personally I would recommend CPUz, RealTemp or CoreTemp, HWmonitor and GPUz....no AIsuite no Corsair Link.

I am hoping CPUz is bugged out in your case since that voltage will kill your CPU. I hope the 1.299volts is the reality and it sounds about right...

Clear some of these programs out and clear CMOS and start over I guess. If you've done your reading you'll be fine. Start with the basics....Set up your RAM first XMP or manual to rated speed and timings and then setting manual voltage, medium LLC and upping multiplier one notch at a time keeping your eyes on temps while running something like RealBench. See how far you get.

If 1.3v gives you 4.6 stable then you have a good CPU

Yeah, temp readings may be messed up for the CPU-Z... real 1.7V on Vcore would already killed your CPO with that cooling...

What voltage is set in BIOS for Vcore?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Well I am pretty convinced that CPU-z is not reading my V-Core correctly. Cause I certainly did not remember making any 1.7v moves. Plus i did some reading about this same problem and it is an issue with my CPU-Z version 1.66 to miss read the VCore as the VCCIN.... So what I did was restored BIOS to default booted and checked the V-Core, and it was still reading the 1.7v. So I went back into Bios set cores at 46 and left the voltage on auto. and it looks just about the same with around 1.3 v. At idle my temps are between 30c -40c. Not sure if I am using the right benchmark program, but I used 3DMark 11 scored a P11375 and temps never went passed 54c....

So.... someone mentioned I may have a good CPU. I was reading about the CPU's and there is only a small percent of them that can clock at higher speeds.
    70% of CPUs can clock to 4.5GHz, 30% of CPUs can clock to 4.6GHz, 20% of CPUs can clock to 4.7GHz, 10% of CPUs can clock to 4.8GHz. So I am already at the 30% mark and room to push. I wonder if I am in that 10% range. I have posted a few screenshots of my BIOS. And I just want to thank you all with the help and suggestions. It is very appreciated... Tell me what you think...

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	339.8 KB 
ID:	34320

Name:	2.jpg 
Size:	368.3 KB 
ID:	34321

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	356.6 KB 
ID:	34322

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Looks good to me....