Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

So I just isolated it from everything, unplugged the 2 SATA connectors from the back of the SSD and optical drives, all the case fan connectors, and the chassis fan plug that was still hooked up the the motherboard that I overlooked earlier, I hope nothing was ruined by leaving that chassis fan connected during all of this. So after I did all of this I did the paper clip thing again and the PSU fan started running. What is wrong now then?

Yeah that was my eventual upgrade and was planning on around that price ($150-$200) but I wanted to see how it would perform without it first.
    Last edited by Cortland15B; 03-09-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Insane Hardware Geek Array PowerOver9K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cortland15B View Post
    So I just isolated it from everything, unplugged the 2 SATA connectors from the back of the SSD and optical drives, all the case fan connectors, and the chassis fan plug that was still hooked up the the motherboard that I overlooked earlier, I hope nothing was ruined by leaving that chassis fan connected during all of this. So after I did all of this I did the paper clip thing again and the PSU fan started running. What is wrong now then?

Yeah that was my eventual upgrade and was planning on around that price ($150-$200) but I wanted to see how it would perform without it first.
    Plug the PSU into the motherboard 24 pin + 4 pin and thats it. Try to start it with just the CPU + MEMORY in the mobo. Nothing else on the PSU.
    Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

ROG Member Array

So we kind of jumped ahead of you. We started with nothing plugged into the PSU, then just went one at a time, we started with the case fans, added one, tested, it was running, added another, it worked, another, etc. Then went on till all the fans and LED's were working. Then we plugged the optical drive in, it worked so then we did the SSD, it didn't stop anything else from working so we figured it was ok. Then we got to the chassis fan connector that plugs into the motherboard and everything went kaput. We left that unconnected and proceeded to plug in the 24pin and the 4pin into the motherboard. We hooked it up to my 27" LCD TV that I will be using as my monitor, turned it on, and the BIOS utility popped up.

Why did that connector do this? Are there any problems with not having that connector plugged in? Why did it do that?

We're in the process of updating the BIOS, what do we do after that?
    Last edited by Cortland15B; 03-10-2014 at 12:53 AM.

So we kind of jumped ahead of you. We started with nothing plugged into the PSU, then just went one at a time, we started with the case fans, added one, tested, it was running, added another, then went on till all the fans and LED's were working. Then we plugged the optical drive in, it worked so then we did the SSD, it didn't stop anything else from working so we figured it was ok. Then we got to the chassis fan connector that plugs into the motherboard and everything went kaput. We left that unconnected and proceeded to plug in the 24pin and the 4pin into the motherboard. We hooked it up to my 27" LCD TV that I will be using as my monitor, turned it on, and the BIOS utility popped up.

Why did that connector do this? Are there any problems with not having that connector plugged in? Why did it do that?

We're in the process of updating the BIOS, what do we do after that?

Okay so you took a walk with your PSU until it failed. It fails on the CHA Fan connector huh? That fan probably has a short in it which is why it died. Can you get it to boot to a OS installation disk if you stick one in ?
    Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

ROG Member Array

Yeah in the Asus manual it has a diagram of the chassis fan connector, going from left to right, CHA FAN PWM - CHA FAN IN - CHA FAN PWR - GROUND. So there should be a black wire on the far right, but if you look at the picture there are 2 black wires in the middle, with red on the left and yellow on the right. This is probably why its not working.

The other thing is that connector has a 12W maximum power output, maybe with all the fans they are drawing more juice? I'm not sure how many watts a fan uses.

What does the chassis fan connector do? All of the fans are working.

We are having trouble updating the BIOS right now so we haven't gotten to trying to install our OS yet. Will that connector effect anything?

ROG Member Array

We decided to not update the BIOS because we were having trouble flashing it. The BIOS is only a few months old so it should be fine, we can always update it later. Ubuntu is installing now. I would have done windows 7 but my friend who left town is the one with the copy of windows 7.

I need a network card for wireless internet, what do you look for to make sure its compatible? Do you recommend anything? This one seems nice, not sure if it would work, does that plug in to the PCI express thing? It says the interface is PCI so. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166076
    Last edited by Cortland15B; 03-10-2014 at 01:47 AM.

We decided to not update the BIOS because we were having trouble flashing it. The BIOS is only a few months old so it should be fine, we can always update it later. Ubuntu is installing now. I would have done windows 7 but my friend who left town is the one with the copy of windows 7.

I need a network card for wireless internet, what do you look for to make sure its compatible? Do you recommend anything? This one seems nice, not sure if it would work, does that plug in to the PCI express thing? It says the interface is PCI so. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166076
    Familiar with Gentoo or Slackware but that's too advanced for someone new to Linux. Any card should work but you just need to make sure they have drivers available. You'll probably have to bring it in from another PC on a usb stick.
    Last edited by PowerOver9K; 03-10-2014 at 02:16 AM.

ROG Member Array

Yeah ubuntu is supposed to be one of the best for beginners. I want to eventually build my own GUI from the ground up that is based on linux, but that is a while later. I'll head to radio shack tomorrow and see what they have for network cards.

So is there anything wrong with having that CHA FAN not hooked up? What do I get if it is hooked up, like fan speed management maybe? Are there any adapters that could fix the wire problem?

Thank you so much for helping me today, I wouldn't have gotten it done without your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Yeah ubuntu is supposed to be one of the best for beginners. I want to eventually build my own GUI from the ground up that is based on linux, but that is a while later. I'll head to radio shack tomorrow and see what they have for network cards.

So is there anything wrong with having that CHA FAN not hooked up? What do I get if it is hooked up, like fan speed management maybe? Are there any adapters that could fix the wire problem?

Thank you so much for helping me today, I wouldn't have gotten it done without your help. It is greatly appreciated.
    Wait is that the only CHA fan connector? IS there a CPU fan connector too? I didn't even look. If it's not putting out an RPM signal and it's the only fan connector on the board that's why it is shutting you down...

ROG Member Array

There is a CPU fan connector that is being used by the CPU, but it is the only CHA fan connector on the board.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast