cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build BSOD when BIOS optimize; please help

Jon9613
Level 7
so i recently just built my first pc. No issues booted it up fine windows 8.1 installed fine everything is running great so i decided to go into the BIOS and go to Asus EZ mode and do the optimized which is like a automatic overclock and change the RPM of my fan on my Corsair H100i and i seem to get the BSOD and it just keeps crashing at first i thought it was because the boot was booting off the wrong drive (suppose to boot of SSD not HDD), but even after i put the SSD as primary it still manages to BSOD. So i went back into the BIOS and put the fan RPM back to standard and the overclock setting back to standard and the BSOD went away. This is a shame because i really wanna overclock my pc soon.

PC parts:

CPU: Intel i7-4470k 3.5GHz
CPU cooler: Corsair H100i
MOBO: Maximus Hero VI ATX
RAM: Ripjaww X series 16GB
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
GPU: 2x SLI EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ti 3GB
PS: SeaSonic 850w
7 REPLIES 7

mbongmania
Level 7
Same thing happened to me when I would try to change certain settings. Don't get discouraged. Learn more about the voltages and current capabilities and what you should set them too with your setup and whatever overclock you are trying to get to. Also, where is your 2TB plugged into? Go into BIOS and set the Boot order to only recognize the BOOT drive during POST. That solved an issue where my computer wouldn't boot on the first try and would just shut off. Good Luck!

I installed windows on my 250GB SSD so it would load and run quicker. As to where my HDD is hooked up, i dont fully understand what you mean.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Use the auto overclock as a base to work from. Either lower the CPU multiplier a step at a time or increase the CPU voltage 0.010V each time the system crashes until you can successfully boot. From there you can further refine the settings till you achieve full stability.

Zka17
Level 16
Check out this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33488-Maximus-VI-Series-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking&country...
Then start OC'ing manually... the presets are based on the average of a certain number of CPU/memory - your setup may need slightly different setups...

Zka17 wrote:
Check out this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33488-Maximus-VI-Series-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking&country...
Then start OC'ing manually... the presets are based on the average of a certain number of CPU/memory - your setup may need slightly different setups...

So this issue is actually a common issue? i dont have a defective part or anything is what your saying? the voltage is just too high when the mobo auto overclocks so that is just crashes the system?

Jon9613 wrote:
So this issue is actually a common issue? i dont have a defective part or anything is what your saying? the voltage is just too high when the mobo auto overclocks so that is just crashes the system?

Hello

The auto settings are based on the average seen when several hundred CPU were sampled. If you have a below average CPU you will need higher voltages than what is being set. This does not mean that the CPU or motherboard is faulty. The crashing will be from the voltage being set not high enough.

Zka17 wrote: