cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU throttling in-game (Video+Screenshot)

kyrix1st
Level 7
http://youtu.be/P4GLnaPJFTU [youtu.be]

Looks like I hit the right spot, it seems that there is only a little more to solve to fix this jaw dropping FPS drops in my system.

For those of you who have trouble following what I'm on about, here's the link to the previous post:

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493853706212/ [battlelog.battlefield.com]

Below is the image of GPU-Z:

http://imgur.com/St32zW6 [imgur.com]

Please don't ask about whether I'm on a Power Saving mode or any of that, because I'm not. It's shown under video description.

What I've found out is that I get Vrel message in gpu-z, I think it means it hit the voltage regulator limit while running BF4 and using my common sense, it should not do that.

I want to know whether this is a card, MB, or PSU issue. Helps would be appreciated!

Here's my PC specifications:
CPU:i7-4770K
MOBO:Asus Maximus VI Gene
Cooling System:Corsair Hydro Series H80i
GPU:Gigabyte GTX 780 ghz Edition
RAM:G.Skill F3-12800 4Gx2
PSU:Superflower 650P12SP
CASE:3R L700 Eclipse
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598, AKG K-701
Amplifier: Objective2 Clara
12 REPLIES 12

kkn
Level 14
are you OC'ng your CPU?
power specs on the GPU -> Power requirement: 600W (with two 8-pin external power connectors) ( from gigabyte's home page it self )
IF you have a friend or you have a spare ( larger PSU then you use now ) to test and see if it can be the PSU dont deliver enough power to pull the card.
for a build like that i would have recommended a 750W gold psu ( minimum ) if some one asked for recommendations for a build like that.
and a well known brand.

the one you have is rated 80 silver and "may" not be enough, but if you have a spare or a friend have one that he can lend you to test then try that out before buying a new one.

what graphic driver are you running??

kkn wrote:
are you OC'ng your CPU?
power specs on the GPU -> Power requirement: 600W (with two 8-pin external power connectors) ( from gigabyte's home page it self )
IF you have a friend or you have a spare ( larger PSU then you use now ) to test and see if it can be the PSU dont deliver enough power to pull the card.
for a build like that i would have recommended a 750W gold psu ( minimum ) if some one asked for recommendations for a build like that.
and a well known brand.

the one you have is rated 80 silver and "may" not be enough, but if you have a spare or a friend have one that he can lend you to test then try that out before buying a new one.

what graphic driver are you running??

Yes I'm overclocking my cpu to 4.3 ghz, which is rock stable. I'm one of the few guys who have any interest in overclocking at all, thus there aren't any people who use PSU larger than 650W T_T

I'm running on the latest nvidia driver which is 334.89.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you reset your BIOS to defaults and GPU to defaults and tested. No point assuming the CPU is solid..have to go to stock for trouble shooting.

What is the maximum mem usage that you record? Though I presume you never get near the card's 3GB.

What temps are you getting on your CPU and what voltage are you using to get to 4.3 and do you have the CPU VRM actively air cooled?

Have you tried downclocking your card with afterburner or Precision-X to reference values to see if the factory OC is unstable.

have you tried changing to PCIe gen 2.0 in BIOS if that option is available.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Have you reset your BIOS to defaults and GPU to defaults and tested. No point assuming the CPU is solid..have to go to stock for trouble shooting.

What is the maximum mem usage that you record? Though I presume you never get near the card's 3GB.

What temps are you getting on your CPU and what voltage are you using to get to 4.3 and do you have the CPU VRM actively air cooled?

Have you tried downclocking your card with afterburner or Precision-X to reference values to see if the factory OC is unstable.

have you tried changing to PCIe gen 2.0 in BIOS if that option is available.

My maximum mem usage doesn't seem to exceed 1.5GB.
I have tried setting the BIOS to default, and same problem persists.

My CPU yields at quite a high voltage for overclocking, I've set it on 1.26, my cache ratio at 40 (1.215v) and initial input voltage at 1.9.
When idling, I get around 38C, and as much as 62C when under practical load(battlefield 4). CPU VRM is air cooled by the case, and I have not applied any other elements for cooling.

As for the factory overclock, although the specs indicate 1072mhz at boost, it actually pushes further to 1136mhz and stays between 1123mhz and 1136mhz under heavy load, (backing down to 1029mhz under low load). So I presume the issue could be consistency of the frequency.
I've tried downclocking by 80mhz and GPU-Z still gives me VREL the whole time when I run Battlefield 4.

It's the first time I've heard of changing to PCIE gen 2.0, and I do not suppose I have seen the option to back down. I will inform you after I check on my PC (on a notebook)

kyrix1st wrote:
My maximum mem usage doesn't seem to exceed 1.5GB.
I have tried setting the BIOS to default, and same problem persists.

My CPU yields at quite a high voltage for overclocking, I've set it on 1.26, my cache ratio at 40 (1.215v) and initial input voltage at 1.9.
When idling, I get around 38C, and as much as 62C when under practical load(battlefield 4). CPU VRM is air cooled by the case, and I have not applied any other elements for cooling.

As for the factory overclock, although the specs indicate 1072mhz at boost, it actually pushes further to 1136mhz and stays between 1123mhz and 1136mhz under heavy load, (backing down to 1029mhz under low load). So I presume the issue could be consistency of the frequency.
I've tried downclocking by 80mhz and GPU-Z still gives me VREL the whole time when I run Battlefield 4.

It's the first time I've heard of changing to PCIE gen 2.0, and I do not suppose I have seen the option to back down. I will inform you after I check on my PC (on a notebook)

Hmm sorry to hear the PSU didn't sort it but honestly I don't think that is a bad buy in any case...now you have

Did you manage to try running PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0....some CPUs have issues running Gen3.0 even though they shouldn't...

Does this happen with anything else...if you push the GPU with say 3DMark Firestrike does it do this?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hmm sorry to hear the PSU didn't sort it but honestly I don't think that is a bad buy in any case...now you have

Did you manage to try running PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0....some CPUs have issues running Gen3.0 even though they shouldn't...

Does this happen with anything else...if you push the GPU with say 3DMark Firestrike does it do this?

I was planning to change my PSU anyway... planning to do SLI 780's or 290X CF in the near future.
I think it happens with almost every heavy graphic oriented applications. So the problem just might be the graphic card itself.

jaggerwild
Level 7
Your power supply is the issue.......................super flower? :rolleyes:
Asus X79 DELUXE
3930K WATER
2X Intel 520 Raid o
2X GTX 780ti DCII OC WATER
16 GB G skill 2133
Corsiar AX1200
Acer 24" 1080
Swiftech MCP655 Vari
HWlabs 3/120
Asus DVD

BLIND BIOS FLASH LINK http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12749-RIVE-BIOS-FlashBack

jaggerwild wrote:
Your power supply is the issue.......................super flower? :rolleyes:

Sadly power supply was not the issue. I got Seasonic X-850 this morning and still gets PerfCap Reason -Vrel message whenever I run Battlefield 4. Now I have no other option but to suspect some settings regarding SSD and my cpu overclock as well as memory XMP.