cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need opinions about my build components

DasDinkleberg
Level 7
Hello dear ROG Army,

its been 3 weeks now and still lurking over the interwebz trying to gather as much possible of information and tips about building a gaming computer and sure i did gain some knowledge but im still limited in many domains, so i thought sharing with you my future build details and components could really help me decide some parts and have an overall idea about the setup ive chosen (note that my local gaming store is limited in choices) so here you go the list below describe what i have and what i got and the choices i can make :

- case : corsair 600T (Arrived)
- psu : corsair ax1200i (Arrived)
- cpu : i7 4770k (Arrived)
- cpu cooling : corsair h100i (shipped)
- mobo : Maximus VI Hero (Arrived)
- gpu : 2 X Gigabyte 780 ti 3gb WINDFORCE (2 Way-SLI) (Arrived)
> ram : corsair vengeance pro 16GB 1866mhz or gskillz trident x 16 gb 2400mhz (both are 2x8gb and still not decided yet)
- ssd : samsung 240 gb (shipped)
- hdd : Seagate Barracuda 6Gb/s 2 Teras (shipped)

any advice would help , thanks in advance
13 REPLIES 13

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Looks like you did your homework OK! That looks like a great build and will be a gaming beast.

No real advice....just take your time putting it together....maybe get some thermal paste? Prolimatech PK-1 for example will be better than the paste the H100i comes with...too much paste on H100i when it is fresh out of box...

Start by testing each GPU separately and find out which is the stronger card if you are OCing. Put the stronger card as first card since it does more work. OC from the BIOS better than with presets etc.

Happy building! 😄

Zka17
Level 16
Indeed, a good selection of the components!

Only one thing... what are the timings of those Vengeance Pro and TridentX kits you're looking at? You know, frequency is not all... for efficiency timings are equally important...

Chino
Level 15
DasDinkleberg wrote:

> ram : corsair vengeance pro 16GB 1866mhz or gskillz trident x 16 gb 2400mhz (both are 2x8gb and still not decided yet)

The TridentX kit is the perfect match for the Maximus VI Hero. It's an awesome high performance kit that doesn't break your pockets.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Looks like you did your homework OK! That looks like a great build and will be a gaming beast.

No real advice....just take your time putting it together....maybe get some thermal paste? Prolimatech PK-1 for example will be better than the paste the H100i comes with...too much paste on H100i when it is fresh out of box...

Start by testing each GPU separately and find out which is the stronger card if you are OCing. Put the stronger card as first card since it does more work. OC from the BIOS better than with presets etc.

Happy building! 😄

thanks man, i will for sure do the gpu test u mentioned also im getting a thermal paste of arctic MX-4 (thats the best choice they got)

Zka17 wrote:
Indeed, a good selection of the components!

Only one thing... what are the timings of those Vengeance Pro and TridentX kits you're looking at? You know, frequency is not all... for efficiency timings are equally important...

this is the thing that im still undecided about , THE RAM, here is the specs of the two choices i got :

GSKILLZ TRIDENT X :

Fréquence : 2400 MHz
Tension : 1.65 Volts
Latences : CL10 (10-12-12-31 2N)

CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO :

Fréquence : 1866 MHz
Timing : CL9 (9-10-9-27)
Tension nominale : 1.5 Volts

note that i already seen somewhere that if i go with trident x it will work less than expected because of the haswell default voltage wich is 1.5 thats the only thing that pushing me toward the corsair ram

Chino wrote:
The TridentX kit is the perfect match for the Maximus VI Hero. It's an awesome high performance kit that doesn't break your pockets.

exactly ive seen this information in your RAM Guide , that it is preferred to go with gskillz for maximus vi hero, about the bucks its not something big (30 $ difference) because im planning to maintain this beast for 3 years

Zka17
Level 16
Based on those specs, the TridentX is faster... do not worry about the 1.65V thing - it is standard, it won't hurt your system...

However, from a budget point of view, I would still choose the Vengeance Pro kit (if it's less expensive)... In real life you won't likely see any difference between those 2 kits... only if you do benchmarking...

DasDinkleberg
Level 7
i guess im going for the tridentX since its more powerful and cheaper , maybe the vengeance pro is expensive because of the materials quality but still im looking for pure juice, btw could you recommend some overclocking guide which can help me in my case

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Comparing apples to apples the 1866MHz Trident X with better timings is only $10.00 more that the VENGEANCE PRO. As Chino wrote above you can't go wrong with Trident X.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231623

Praz wrote:
Hello

Comparing apples to apples the 1866MHz Trident X with better timings is only $10.00 more that the VENGEANCE PRO. As Chino wrote above you can't go wrong with Trident X.

i wish i had an easy choice but the problem is that my local gaming shop is limited and getting parts overseas is so complicated here in morocco so im stuck with my local shop stock which is : whether the 1866 vengeance pro or the 2400 trident x (you can see the details in my posts above)

actually after reading Zka17's and Chino's replies i became kind of convinced on the 2400 trident X, still the voltage thingie scares me because im looking for 100% reliability and Stability

Praz wrote:
Hello

i wish i had an easy choice but the problem is that my local gaming shop is limited and getting parts overseas is so complicated here in morocco so im stuck with my local shop stock which is : whether the 1866 vengeance pro or the 2400 trident x (you can see the details in my posts above)

actually after reading Zka17's and Chino's replies i became kind of convinced on the 2400 trident X, still the voltage thingie scares me because im looking for 100% reliability and Stability