cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G750JH-DB72-CA worth it to upgrade wireless?

The_Cool_Dude
Level 10
Hello there.

I just got a Asus G750JH-DB72-CA and it came with a Qualcomm Killer Wireless N 1202 network adapter.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to wireless AC? If so then what would you recommend I get?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

hmscott
Level 12
The Cool Dude wrote:
Hello there.
I just got a Asus G750JH-DB72-CA and it came with a Qualcomm Killer Wireless N 1202 network adapter.
Would it be worth it to upgrade to wireless AC? If so then what would you recommend I get?
Thanks!

TCD, the Killer 1202 is a great card. For low latency gaming, and high performance N throughput, it's awesome.

Unless you have a high speed need for LAN based throughput other than Internet, or you have a Gigabit internet connection(!!) you won't notice the difference between the 1202 and an 802.11 AC device.

When I got the Asus RT-AC68U I also picked up the USB-AC56 so I could do end to end AC testing:
http://www.asus.com/Networking/USBAC56/

Note that currently there isn't a matching AC1900 device for the laptop - only a PCI-E card based solution for desktops. The AC56 is only AC1200, a few rev's behind in AC spec.

When a Killer AC solution comes out, it might be worth a try, but for now the Killer 1202 is great.

BTW, the G750 Killer 1202 combo picks up far more AP's (viewed through inSSIDer) than the G750 / USB-AC56. That will likely be true for the Killer AC Mini-PCIE card replacement, when it comes out.

I don't have the USBAC56 any longer, but here is a comparison between gigabit ethernet and the 1202 wireless on a 50mbit Comcast internet connection:

Killer 1202 Wireless

Gigabit Ethernet

Thanks Very much hmscott for your response.

That was very helpful. I've been pretty happy with the Killer 1202 but wasn't sure if the difference would be worth it if I went with AC. I'll stay with what I have for now.