cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G750 DISPLAY - Chi Mei vs AU OPTRONICS

QC_Desired
Level 7
Poll added:

Start>Run>devmgmt.msc>Monitor>Generic PnP Monitor>Properties>Details>Hardware_IDs

Hi,

1) What are the differences between the Chi Mei and AU Optronics display on the G750?

2) What are the specifications for each display?

3) Which (Chi Mei or AUO) Matte LCD panel on the G750 is best?

Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

hmscott
Level 12
I had a Chi Mei on my JW/JX and now have an AUO on the JH.

Both screens are great. When I switched to the AUO I was initially disappointed because it would only run at 70hz, but everything else was good.

Set the Chi Mei to 100hz, if it is stable, otherwise somewhere over 80hz, to get rid of screen flicker on some images. There is a post with ICC profiles for the Chi Mei, which helps with color balance.

The AUO runs way bright, Retina Searing, but turn it down to 70% or less and it is great.

The AUO color looks great uncorrected, so that is "better", but with a balanced ICC profile the Chi Mei looks better than without. But, even without an ICC profile I didn't have any complaints.

For all screens I suggest uninstalling Asus Splendid and set the Windows Desktop to 100% in the Display Control panel - default is 125% on Windows 8.0.

You can look up the spec's online, but I couldn't tell enough difference between specs when I checked, you really just have to look at them in person and judge if it works for you.

I think you can be happy with either one. 🙂

hmscott wrote:
I think all the JW/JX have Chi Mei, and the AUO is on the JH as the non-3d screen option.

I

I have a G750JW with a AUO

rdiscipio1 wrote:
I have a G750JW with a AUO

Thanks rdiscipio1, how do you like the AUO? Have you compared it to the Chi Mei / Samsung?

hmscott wrote:
Thanks rdiscipio1, how do you like the AUO? Have you compared it to the Chi Mei / Samsung?

I have not compared it to any other G750 laptop screens but it is as good if not better than the screen on my G75 (also a matte). Like many, you can see (if you look really hard) a grid or dot pattern on static white background(s), but in color or motion (RE: Games) it is very good, no bleeding or backlighting issues at all. I must admit I prefer the matte to the glossy screens on my laptops though.

QC_Desired
Level 7
I had Chi Mei displays on previously returned JH's (touchpad installation and hinge cover issues, but did not notice any screen bleed on Chi Mei).

I read somewhere that the contrast ratio might be nearly double on the Chi Mei, and the reviews I read for the G750JH (before purchase) were Chi Mei, but I can't find the official specs for either.

Thanks again for your constructive input. 🙂

hmscott
Level 12
AUO B173HW02 V1
http://www.twscreen.com/media/pdf/M20121224094347950/B173HW02_V1_Ver0.1_20110427_201306195161.pdf

Chi Mei N173HGE-L11
http://www.twscreen.com/media/pdf/M20110509170835357/N173HGE-L11%20ver%202.0.pdf

It depends how you calculate the contrast, or measure it, and where in the range of contrast response you pick a value. I think setting the brightness at 100% offsets the contrast, reducing the brightness to 70% or so improves the images greatly.

Whatever the response, both screens are great, and if I were to pick right now, I would pick the AUO - but only because it is what I am using and how striking the video/images are every day.

Compared to a glossy screen, which is impossible to read at client sites, both matte screens look great in comparison.

QC_Desired
Level 7
Wow nice work finding those specs. Thanks.

I'm no expert, and correct me if I am wrong, but at first glance it looks like the Chi Mei has slightly better specs, not only with contrast ratio, and viewing angle, but also response times.

Any other attributes I/we should be looking if choosing between these two displays?

QC_Desired wrote:
Wow nice work finding those specs. Thanks.

I'm no expert, and correct me if I am wrong, but at first glance it looks like the Chi Mei has slightly better specs, not only with contrast ratio, and viewing angle, but also response times.

Any other attributes I/we should be looking if choosing between these two displays?

That's why it's tough to go by specs with monitors, you have to view the screen and decide if it works for you. 🙂

QC_Desired
Level 7
Anyone know what model display is being offered with the JZ?