cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V formula-z wont post, FF error code on MB. (just upgraded to watercooling)

enjoiskaterguy
Level 7
Hello,

I have recently upgraded my build to a custom water-cooled loop. I have a SB water-block and a water block for my FX8350 cpu. My MB is the Crosshair V formula-Z ROG series. Every time I try to boot up my system the system won't display my boot up screen so I can't see if it is going to BIOS or not. The monitors aren't reading the display (tried two monitors with HDMI and DVI). I don't have a MB speaker so I can't verify if anything is working or not. I checked my Video card with another computer and its fine. The card does display with the other pc.

My build specs....

Crosshair V formula-Z
cpu: AMD FX8350
RAM: Corsair Dominator (8x2) 16gb
VGA: XFX radeon 6870 2gb
cooling: custom watercooling, 420 triple radiator, Swiftech MCP655-B pump
HDD: OCZ RevoDrive 3x2 PCIE SSD 256Gb
PSU: ANTEC 750w Earthwatts

Note: I have been having problems with my 24pin PSU cord. coputer flicks on and off when 24pin is plugged in to my motherboard. The slightest touch to it will turn off the computer (ordering 24 extention cable) I thought my PSU was the issue but I tested another PSU and its 24 pin and that PSU 24-pin cable seemed to work fine but still not booting:(....so, for starters I have identified my PSU issue but even when I used the other PSU I still couldn't boot my system up.

I am reluctant to check my cpu to see if it is fried. It is under a custom water-cooled loop and it would be a hassle. i will check it after I have exhausted all other alternatives. (tried it...cpu not damaged. pins ok)

I did read somewhere that someone else's crosshair V was having the same issue (posted on this forum) and he found out that his system wasn't booting because the MB didn't read a cpu fan on the cpu fan header so the computer used its fail-safe system and didn't boot-up to protect the cpu....now I have plugged in my RPM three pin pump connector to my MB CPU fan header and I am still unable to boot.

Also my LEDS on my keyboard/mouse aren't turning on either. I tried y MB I/O as well as the Front I/O and neither seem to detect my devices.

My PCEI SSD LEDs do turn on yes and the AUDIO red LEDs on the MB do turn on so I a getting some amount of power.

what could my issue be? I have done all the checking of wires,, the 8 pin, 4pin, 24pin.....all are plugged in. reset cmos, still nothing. Bios is updated on MB and on SSD to most current. now I did have some problems plugging in the 8 pin and 4 pin cables to their respective MB connectors but they are firming sitting in their seats...could it be a bent pin maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

update 1: tried MB speaker..no beeps
update 2: took out BIOS battery...didn't help
update 3: reseated both memory modules separately, checked condition of cpu/cpu pins and unplugged PCIE SSD from board....still no boot to bios.
MB: Crosshair V formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX8350 (8-core) @ 4.7Ghz
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (8x2) 16gb
GPU: AMD Firepro W8100 (8GB workstation card)
cooling: custom water loop ,Ocool Nexxus U60 420 triple radiator,
Swiftech MCP655-B pump, Bitspower Compression fittings
HDD: OCZ OCZ "Vector" 256gb
PSU: NZX Hale90 v.2 1200W
15 REPLIES 15

Zka17
Level 16
Have you tried that system before you have mounted the water-cooling parts? Usually that's the way to go... just set it up on the back of the cardboard box the board came in... - but it seems now you are over that step...

You have to be sure that the power cables are steed correctly... I would be concerned about that 24-pin one causing those troubles...

Also, I would try to reseat the memory modules too...

Zka17 wrote:
Have you tried that system before you have mounted the water-cooling parts? Usually that's the way to go... just set it up on the back of the cardboard box the board came in... - but it seems now you are over that step...

You have to be sure that the power cables are steed correctly... I would be concerned about that 24-pin one causing those troubles...

Also, I would try to re-seat the memory modules too...

yes I have run ther system just fine without the water-cooling. the power cables are pretty straight in there with the exception of the to p4-pin connector...its a little crooked but set straight in (the rad fans are causing space issues for my 4-pin and 8-pin connections but they seem to be plugged in firmly in place.

I am in the process of re-seating the memory modules...I took them both out and tried both on mem-slot A2 seperately still to no avail.

I have just un-seated the CPU water-block and checked the pins on my cpu which all seem ok. There seems to be no damage on the pins nor fried chip.

enjoiskaterguy
Level 7
bump for help! still not booting!

PowerOver9K
Level 9
Can you boot it with CPU + 1 stick on ram in the first slot and power in 24 + 4/8 pin? NO VIDEO CARD.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

PowerOver9K wrote:
Can you boot it with CPU + 1 stick on ram in the first slot and power in 24 + 4/8 pin? NO VIDEO CARD.

ill try this and get back to yalls!

enjoiskaterguy wrote:
ill try this and get back to yalls!

Know that I t think about it having no graphics card would make my test void....I need some sort of visual prompt letting me know it's booting....or maybe you just want me to keep an ear out for a bios beep or the F.F. error to go away?

enjoiskaterguy wrote:
Know that I t think about it having no graphics card would make my test void....I need some sort of visual prompt letting me know it's booting....or maybe you just want me to keep an ear out for a bios beep or the F.F. error to go away?

try it as long as the GPU is not in the waterloop.
no harm in trying.
if you have 8 pin to molex for the graphic card try that ( if you have 2 of them ) to see if mabye the pcie cables can be damaged ( never know ).

kkn wrote:
try it as long as the GPU is not in the waterloop.
no harm in trying.
if you have 8 pin to molex for the graphic card try that ( if you have 2 of them ) to see if mabye the pcie cables can be damaged ( never know ).

my GPU isn't in the loop. checked card on other computer...no issues.

my graphics card uses 2x6-pin connecters...not 8 pin. My PSU is semi-modular so I plugged in this added 8 pin to 2x 6+2 pin cable to see if that regular non-modular PCIE power cable was damaged....but still nothing.

I am thinking that the overall PSU might be the issue...like I said, I am not seeing my LEDS come on my keyboard or mouse from the back MB I/O and the front I/O either.

I BELIEVE!!!... I may have uncovered the reason for the FF error when using water cooling for the CPU.

See the link

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f255/phoeinix-blackbird-002-overhaul-asus-v-formula-z-amd-fx-...

At first I had an issue with a ground fault (actually two, because I was trying to reuse some of the wiring from the old build.

Once I fixed that... the EFING FF came to play...

Hope this helps! Ut helped me at least 🙂