cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CH V-Z F.F. error.

enjoiskaterguy
Level 7

Crosshair V formula-z wont post, FF error code on MB. (just upgraded to watercooling)
Hello,

I have recently upgraded my build to a custom water-cooled loop. I have a SB water-block and a water block for my FX8350 cpu. My MB is the Crosshair V formula-Z ROG series. Every time I try to boot up my system the system won't display my boot up screen so I can't see if it is going to BIOS or not. The monitors aren't reading the display (tried two monitors with HDMI and DVI). I don't have a MB speaker so I can't verify if anything is working or not. I checked my Video card with another computer and its fine. The card does display with the other pc.

My build specs....
Crosshair V formula-Z
cpu: AMD FX8350
RAM: Corsair Dominator (8x2) 16gb
VGA: XFX radeon 6870 2gb
cooling: custom watercooling, 420 triple radiator, Swiftech MCP655-B pump
HDD: OCZ RevoDrive 3x2 PCIE SSD 256Gb
PSU: ANTEC 750w Earthwatts

Note: I have been having problems with my 24pin PSU cord. coputer flicks on and off when 24pin is plugged in to my motherboard. The slightest touch to it will turn off the computer (ordering 24 extention cable) I thought my PSU was the issue but I tested another PSU and its 24 pin and that PSU 24-pin cable seemed to work fine but still not booting....so, for starters I have identified my PSU issue but even when I used the other PSU I still couldn't boot my system up.

I am reluctant to check my cpu to see if it is fried. It is under a custom water-cooled loop and it would be a hassle. i will check it after I have exhausted all other alternatives. (tried it...cpu not damaged. pins ok)

I did read somewhere that someone else's crosshair V was having the same issue (posted on this forum) and he found out that his system wasn't booting because the MB didn't read a cpu fan on the cpu fan header so the computer used its fail-safe system and didn't boot-up to protect the cpu....now I have plugged in my RPM three pin pump connector to my MB CPU fan header and I am still unable to boot.

Also my LEDS on my keyboard/mouse aren't turning on either. I tried y MB I/O as well as the Front I/O and neither seem to detect my devices.

My PCEI SSD LEDs do turn on yes and the AUDIO red LEDs on the MB do turn on so I a getting some amount of power.

what could my issue be? I have done all the checking of wires,, the 8 pin, 4pin, 24pin.....all are plugged in. reset cmos, still nothing. Bios is updated on MB and on SSD to most current. now I did have some problems plugging in the 8 pin and 4 pin cables to their respective MB connectors but they are firming sitting in their seats...could it be a bent pin maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

update 1: tried MB speaker..no beeps
update 2: took out BIOS battery...didn't help
update 3: reseated both memory modules separately, checked condition of cpu/cpu pins and unplugged PCIE SSD from board....still no boot to bios.
Update 4: new 24-pin cable didn't help any. Still not booting :'(
MB: Crosshair V formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX8350 (8-core) @ 4.7Ghz
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (8x2) 16gb
GPU: AMD Firepro W8100 (8GB workstation card)
cooling: custom water loop ,Ocool Nexxus U60 420 triple radiator,
Swiftech MCP655-B pump, Bitspower Compression fittings
HDD: OCZ OCZ "Vector" 256gb
PSU: NZX Hale90 v.2 1200W
12 REPLIES 12

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Sounds like you have done a bit of research from previous forum posts so kudos on accomplishing that task 🙂

I am going to guess that when you talked about touching the Main ATX Power harness that your computer would go on/off? That would suggest either a bad crimp in the connector of the power harness; bad pin in the harness connector, or a bad solder joint on the connector mounted on the motherboard (which I think is where the problem is as you have already changed out the cable).

Also have you checked the status of the Q-LEDs on page 1-28ish of the manual? I'm going to guess the CPU_LED is on?

Honestly what I would do is to remove all the parts of the chassis and "bench test" the system as I know this is a lot of work but it sounds like your problems are by caused by one of the following (best guess)
1) you have something too tight that may be warping the board causing it not to POST
2) that the main ATX Power Connector has the problem I listed
3) you don't have good thermal contact between the CPU and the water block so your CPU is overheating...maybe go back to stock cooling for nhow.

Keep us posted on your progress and post back what the problem is/was so others are able to learn about possible problems like you checked...even if it may of been user induced 🙂

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

madcratebuilder
Level 10
Good advise above, you may have a bad 24 pin socket on the MB. It's important to get the MB out of the case and on the bench. The box the MB ships in is great for this. Do you have all three MB power connects attached?

You can start with just a bare MB, no mem or anything, it should at least power up the Q code led's. The manual tells you about the 4 leds next to the 24 pin connector and what they mean, it's chapter 1.2.8 in my manual.
Speedbird 9590@5.1/CHVFZ/8gb G Skill@2133/ASUS R9-280X all on EK blocks controlled with Aquaero 6 Pro

Goonybird 8350@4.6/GA990FXAUD3/16gb Corsair@1600/Crossfired Sapphire 7990's cooled with CM 240L XSPC res

enjoiskaterguy
Level 7
checked the Q-LEDS....yep, the CPU LED is on. Friend is coming over with another AM3+ board to test the chip. I'm not looking forward to taking down my custom water loop to test my motherboard.....will be a bitch to remove. I'll let you guys know if things change or not.

enjoiskaterguy wrote:
checked the Q-LEDS....yep, the CPU LED is on. Friend is coming over with another AM3+ board to test the chip. I'm not looking forward to taking down my custom water loop to test my motherboard.....will be a bitch to remove. I'll let you guys know if things change or not.

So, what was the outcome of the test? Have you done it?

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Going to take a guess that the CPU is fine...again you should bench test the system. Let us know about the outcome 🙂

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

TheNerdBench wrote:
Going to take a guess that the CPU is fine...again you should bench test the system. Let us know about the outcome 🙂

Seems that way. I tested a good phenom two processor on my motherboard to still no boot. I am currently dismantling my rig and going from there....I think I am just going to RMA it if the warranty still holds even after water-cooling the North-Bridge and CPU if I see no results from test benching the board.

enjoiskaterguy wrote:
Seems that way. I tested a good phenom two processor on my motherboard to still no boot. I am currently dismantling my rig and going from there....I think I am just going to RMA it if the warranty still holds even after water-cooling the North-Bridge and CPU if I see no results from test benching the board.

Any additional tests done? Did you bench test the system? Or just RMA'ed the board?
My problem is exactly the same as yours and testing more stuff. The CPU LED is still on. Going to test it with an air cooler to see if there it makes any difference on the Q-LEDS. If nothing improves, RMA away. I never got this problem with my V Formula.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
I feel your pain friend 🙂

Again keep us posted on your progress!

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Keep us posted on your progress too GOR52.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]