cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raid 0 with 2 ssd's and using a RAIDR IN HybriDisk mode

dereckn
Level 7
Hi all.
I am currently working on building a system with two samsung 256gb SSD's as a raid 0. I also have a RAIDR express card.
I am wondering if it is possible to use the RAIDR IN HYBRIDISK mode to get a good speed. I have a maximus gene mobo and I am using an i7 Haswell. Should I be concerned with this configuration?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
What the heck is Hybridisk? if you mean RAIDing all 4 together it won't work all that well, as the RAIDR is 2x120GB's in RAID and your Samsungs are 256GB's

I am talking about a software feature that is talked about on the product page fro the RAIDR. I also miss-spelled the name.
It is ROG HybriDisk. I also understand that the RAIDR is two 120GB M.2 (NGFF) drives.
Thanks

Praz
Level 13
Hello

A couple of things here. The RAIDR Express uses two SandForce SF-2281controllers in a RAID configuration by the use of a Marvell 88SE9230 RAID controller. There is nothing that is M.2. Secondly why would you want to cache a SSD RAID0 array with the RAIDR. That would serve no purpose.

All,
I have a better understanding of what is going on now. My Raid 0 with the 2 SSD's will be a separate array. I will install my OS on the RAIDR, and then use the software utilities that came with it to maximize its performance. My original idea was in fact to have a cache for a raid 0, however I see now why that would be counter productive. Maybe in the future PCIe based storage devices will be able to talk to each other allowing something to the effect of raiding multiple RAIDR type designs. Or maybe an easier way of saying it might be when 8+ lane devices are available and affordable.
Thanks

One of the advantages of the RAIDR over straight SSDs is that RAID0ing SSDs maxes out the SATA bus after 2 drives. RAIDRs as reported by JJ in an ASUS youtube scale in thoughput as you add RAIDRs up about five of them. So with five you would in a way be getting 10 lanes, since each RAIDR is a RAID0 of 2 120s.

Check this: http://youtu.be/Wfx4g4YG-pk?t=19m54s

signalpuke
Level 7
How do you put them in raid? Software (asus?) based?