cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise for VGA and cooling in new rig /4770k/M6F/GSkill2400

karl_azytzeen
Level 7
HI All

I jus recieved parts for my rigs and i had assambled it, but i need some advise with finel parts.

At this moment i have:
Case: NZXT 820 Black
Mobo: Maximus VI Formula
Procc: 4770k
RAM: GSkill 2400 2x8Gb (Single side module)
HDD: OCZ Vector 128Gb+ 2x2Tb WD green
PSU: Tacens Radix III 1000W
VGA: Radeon HD4890 (looking for advise!)
Cooling: Stock 775 cooler (looking for advise)
Screen: Samsung PX2270 (1920x1080)

To help my adviser friends 😮 Im planig on stethic level, to apply some kind of black and whyte paint vynil with carbon fiber effect, but this is thelast thing to think about...

The main thing that i need now is the VGA, lloking as good hig end Graphics (playing on 1920x1080 Ultra setting sin latest games and next gen games). I had a ook at GTX770 and R9 290, butim not decided, also the new api and the arrival of next gen gtx makes me doubt more. Wait for GTX 800 and the go for a GTX 780?

Im not sure about start whatercooling, its promising and so cool but really xpensive for me, so if go for that should be slowly.
In that point i had in mind to go for some 240 kit to place in the rear place outside the case, choosing a kit with quality pump (Laing D5 or equivalent) and Good waterblock (Phobya ST2, EK supremacy, XSPC Raystorm, Ibercool ICE MT...) so later i cand xpand just adding radiators. Also if im in the good way i think that tube reservoirs are better looking that they are cheaper and can chage the waterpump type just switching the base or also being standlaone with separated pump.
Al i would like to xpand mdding the case to make fit Phobya xtreme 400 and Xtreme 200 as top and bottom radiators with Bitfenix 230 fans as ideal setup for CPU, VGA and MOBO.
Nexxos alphacool 240 kit is my first choice now do you suggest anithing better? (i live in UE, so cant buy at tigerdirect, ncix, pcperformance, frozencpu or newegg... 😞 )

Thanks in advance!
i7 4770k delidded | Maximus VI Formula | 2x8Gb Gskill 2400 | HD4890 CF | NZXT 820
22 REPLIES 22

kkn
Level 14
GTX 800 <- mabye next year.

www.aquatuning.de

try that and see if it have enny for your country.

if you want a cheep cooling solution you have the closed loop coolers like corsair for example.
GPU?
770/290/780 they are all good, some like green ( nvidia ) some like red ( AMD ).

PowerOver9K
Level 9
Alphacool Cool Answer 240 is okay but the tube it comes with is crappy. If you buy it please replace it with Primochill Advanced LRT in the color of your choice.

If you want to go closed loop cooler, Corsair H105(It's slightly thicker) or H100i.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

karl_azytzeen
Level 7
Hi, thanks for the advise and fast anwering.
And sorry for the really poor spelling, i didnt chek it LOL!

Aquatuning is the store im looking at and they send where I live with no problems.

Regarding closed loops the only one I could think to buy is Swiftech, caus i can reuse the radiator or maxe some kind of soket adapter for the VGA while going with a custom loop for CPU and mobo.

Also another kit that looks really nice is the Phobya LT400, has the radiator i want a nice waterblock (really god if i correctly understand german reviews, casue there is nothing about it in english or spanish), reservoir i want... In general outstandig except for the pump.
So this (the pump and radiator i want with good waterblock and for 200€ is really promising VS A radaitor i want, good proved waterblock, good pump, i dont like reservoir. I dont know aobut different fittings and tubings comparing both kits but the difference in price is 50€ favoring Phobya, probably due to the lack of support that this radiator size has. Also with the 50-60€ is save i could get a standalone D5 , and maybe use the included pump as recirculation or just sell it. Anyway thanks for the info about tubing.
If was your choice, what kit gains your vote?

Also XSPC Photon RX240 is nice, but raystorm seems to be some degrees behind the mentioned waterblocks.
Here are the kits im talking about:
http://www.aquatuning.es/product_info.php/info/p16244_Alphacool-NexXxoS-Cool-Answer-240-D5-UT---Set....

http://www.aquatuning.es/product_info.php/info/p16218_Phobya-Pure-Performance-Kit-200LT.html

http://www.xs-pc.com/watercooling-kits/raystorm-d5-photon-rx240-v3-watercooling-kit

About the VGA, what is the best i can get arround 300+-30€? (A friend is selling Gigabyte GTX770 windforce at 280, listed at 350, worths it?)

Txs everybody for its time.
i7 4770k delidded | Maximus VI Formula | 2x8Gb Gskill 2400 | HD4890 CF | NZXT 820

karl_azytzeen wrote:

About the VGA, what is the best i can get arround 300+-30€? (A friend is selling Gigabyte GTX770 windforce at 280, listed at 350, worths it?

For the kind of setup you have, I would avoid the 280's (Although better, they are a respin). Invest a little more and go for the R9 290 (without X...you save money).
These cards are hot. Shappire R9 290 Tri-X OC has the best cooling. But if you want to improve the cooling without selling a kidney, go this route (I have done so, and I'm happy):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Xc8F_ioac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9dZhEC4as&list=UUPw9MZL1EJzOQooCSrotgFQ

PowerOver9K
Level 9
Pfft. I have the Raystorm block (well actually the entire AX360 kit) and the Raystorm is up there in the Top 5 every time I see waterblocks listed. If you buy a kit please please please replace the tubing with Primochill Advanced LRT or you will have plasticizer problems.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

kkn
Level 14
you have to remember the socket you use.
LGA2011 is the rampage and not LGA1150/1155 socket you have to use.

karl_azytzeen
Level 7
Ok, i got it, need Primochill Advance LRT tubing, and yes, i look at te compatibility, anyway mentioned kits are multisocket.

Anything about the rest?

Antronman
Level 10
I would buy a GTX 780 or R9 280x.
As far as cooling goes...
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Tokens210
Level 10
Everyone here's giving you good info and good products

Only thing I would add is I saw you mentioned the swiftech all in one, I'd personally suggest you decided all in one or custom, if you have the money and time for it custom will have better results

Only reason I'd suggest for you to decide is cause while the swiftech is or was the only all in one that can be expanded (absolutely love that they did that) the parts won't be up to par with some of the custom kit parts

First I'd say the rad wouldn't be as good, even if you got the swiftech h320 its a 320mm rad but since it has a built in res its actually like 370mm but its only 29mm thick as opposed to most from custom companies which are 40-45mm thick

Second the block is a block/pump combo and while they say its strong enough to run a CPU, GPU, 2rads and some more I believe they claim, they're known to sometimes be very noisey and there are many posts stating they clog very easily which really only would matter if you were using specific liquids

I've got the same motherboard and CPU as you currently I live in the US, I'm planning myself on getting a h320 unit simply because currently I haven't got the money or the time for custom water cooling, yet in my mind I already know probly 6 months to a year from now I'll most likely be pulling the H320 out to put a custom loop in lol I haven't even gotten an h320 yet and I'm already like man its gonna be a pain taking it back out to custom loop lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo