Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by sasuke256 View Post
    Great, when I got my G750, i even did not bother to research and compare the models, luckily i got the JM..

Quote Originally Posted by SoloFlow View Post
    Does anyone know how much FPS the g750jm gets on minecraft while plugged in and unplugged?
    I don't know what they would be, but I would guess that plugged in it will get really good framerates, and unplugged will be a lot slower. That's just the nature of the system. The battery can't run the CPU+GPU at full-speed, so it throttles.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

My G750JZ came with 3% battery wear level out of the box and after 1 recharge it is now 4%. Never have I seen a laptop with wear level higher than 0% right out of the box. Should I send the laptop back for a replacement?

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by Tindrael View Post
    My G750JZ came with 3% battery wear level out of the box and after 1 recharge it is now 4%. Never have I seen a laptop with wear level higher than 0% right out of the box. Should I send the laptop back for a replacement?
    Tindrael, not a problem, my JH did the same thing, and after 6 months, it is only at 4.1% after 892 cycles - weird cycle count too...

Does anyone know how to increase the refresh rate of the Chi Mei panel in the G750JZ? There is no display option in the NVidia control panel, only 3D Settings...probably because of Optimus.
    I have the latest Intel driver installed (not the one from WIndows update, the one from Intel's website) and I don't see any way to increase refresh rate in the Intel software :/

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by Tindrael View Post
    Does anyone know how to increase the refresh rate of the Chi Mei panel in the G750JZ? There is no display option in the NVidia control panel, only 3D Settings...probably because of Optimus.
    I have the latest Intel driver installed (not the one from WIndows update, the one from Intel's website) and I don't see any way to increase refresh rate in the Intel software :/
    Tindrael, I don't know if a driver update will allow changing the refresh, even a little, but so far no, there doesn't seem to be a way to get beyond the Optimus limit of 60hz - the Intel / Nvidia apps don't allow changing the refresh, and it looks like the hardware is fixed at 60hz.

I found this video, that has some discussion on the Optimus function, and for him why his 120hz screen meant he didn't get Optimus on his Alienware - starting at 1:40 in the video it is generally interesting for an Optimus breakdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ3IRvCkllg

ROG Member Array

Would love a 14-15" too , would be easier to place on my lap while working on it, I must say asus has done a really great job with the backpack that comes with the ROG 17" laptops , I can't feel any difference (comfort wise) when I carry my acer 15" or asus ROG 17" ..

ROG Member Array

Hello guys, new Asus owner here. I recently buy a ASUS ROG G750JS-DS71 over Amazon. After reading a lot about Alienware, MSI, Clevo, etc i choose Asus, mostly because the good reviews and because three of my friends have Asus gaming machines and they love it.

I still waiting for my laptop to arrive and i have to say i am worried. After reading a lot of forums and the problems the G750 series has. I don't know what to expect, a faulty and/or low quality display, faulty RAM, Overheating (i have a cooling pad waiting for the laptop), bad thermal pasting, etc. On top of that, seems like Optimus is a problem with this models. It is possible to disable Optimus from the BIOS?

Anyway, i work on the gaming industry as an artist and i buy this laptop for CAD work, 3ds max, Zbrush, Photoshop and some gaming. I will come back to you guys when the laptop arrives.

Cheers.

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by RipVanFit View Post
    Hello guys, new Asus owner here. I recently buy a ASUS ROG G750JS-DS71 over Amazon. After reading a lot about Alienware, MSI, Clevo, etc i choose Asus, mostly because the good reviews and because three of my friends have Asus gaming machines and they love it.

I still waiting for my laptop to arrive and i have to say i am worried. After reading a lot of forums and the problems the G750 series has. I don't know what to expect, a faulty and/or low quality display, faulty RAM, Overheating (i have a cooling pad waiting for the laptop), bad thermal pasting, etc. On top of that, seems like Optimus is a problem with this models. It is possible to disable Optimus from the BIOS?

Anyway, i work on the gaming industry as an artist and i buy this laptop for CAD work, 3ds max, Zbrush, Photoshop and some gaming. I will come back to you guys when the laptop arrives.

Cheers.
    RipVanFit, Asus laptops are awesome, most have no problems at all

Optimus is new in the G750, and because that means all the Video goes through the Intel CPU/GPU, even though the rendering is done on the Nvidia GTX card, it can raise the average CPU temperature over the previous generation because it has more silicon drawing power and generating heat, but it should run fine for most jobs.

For you in particular, you might want to make sure the apps you want to run can be forced to render on the Nvidia GPU, as some in that class of app only run on Intel, while some can be tweaked to run on the Nvidia processor.

dblkk is forced to run renders on the Intel GPU, and with the CPU/GPU at 100%, the heat generated gets into thermal throttling territory:

4 Asus G750 JM's and now on second JS
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post404699

You might want to post questions there, and/or PM dblkk to ask how it worked out for him.

CME64 is another person you can talk with:

G750 JS - CPU Overheating, What Thermal Solution ?
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post410340

Optimus has a hardware component, the Intel GPU has all video outputs now, the Nvidia GTX only does rendering. You can't disable Optimus, except to make exceptions in the Nvidia Control Panel to default Globally to Nvidia High Performance Graphics, and force individual applications via the Program settings - for programs that don't respect the Global setting, and there are still applications that refuse to run on Nvidia - or crash when set to it. You can google your app name optimus to find relevant info.

You lose all the video control from the Nvidia control panel, and need to do it in the Intel Control panel - and you are limited to 60hz - no setting the Chi Mei panel to 100hz, or the AUO panel to 70hz, among other limitations. Color settings, and other video tuning is now done in the Intel control panel.

The displays for the most part are fine. There is a subset of people that get vertical/horizontal faint lines in their screens - but it isn't a screen problem, more likely a parts tolerance issue - those that take the time to RMA that problem to Asus get back a laptop without the lines. Some try to swap it at the vendor, but it looks like it is a problem that gets replicated through a build batch, so that won't help - unless you return and go to a different vendor.

Optimus is a problem with all laptops that have Optimus, Asus is a better choice because it's cooling is better than most. The only way around it is to get a laptop without Optimus. The G750JW/JX/JH don't have Optimus, and are at least as fast as the current models, as well as running cooler without Optimus, their prices are going up...

For those apps that won't run on Nvidia with Optimus, and are forced to run on Intel GPU, even the G750JW will be faster... at least there the Nvidia GPU is the only choice and it will run much faster on that 765m than on the Intel GPU.

Please come back and post your results, and how we can help, and at least let us know how it works out for you!
    Last edited by hmscott; 06-19-2014 at 01:54 AM.

ROG Member Array

Wow, thank you very much for the info. My Laptop should arrive on Monday, so i will post my findings later.

I hope i can make the Nvidia GPU run my software for work.

Cheers.

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast