cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First build GPU help

Hmong_Xiong
Level 7
I finally built my first build with an Asus GTX 760. Than I saw that the gfx card just pretty much hangs on to the motherboard and looks likes it can snap off and break anytime soon. The only solution is to create ( <--- not good at this) or buy a backplate for my 760 so the PCB doesn't bend or go buy a 770/780/etc. I saw some people buying the EVGA backplate but I kinda want my build to be as Asus as it can be :3 I also don't mind getting a 770. 780 is just a bit too pricey 😞
Desktop: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | AMD FX-8350 | Asus GTX 760 | Corsiar CX750M | G.Skill Sniper 1866 MHz 2x4GB | Crucial M500 240GB | WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM 64MB | Enermax Ostrog GT | Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Laptop: Asus G75VX-BHI7N11 | Intel i7-3630QM | Nvidia 670MX | Stock 2x4GB | Crucial M500 240GB | HGST 1TB 5400RPM 8MB | Windows 8.1 Pro
11 REPLIES 11

PowerOver9K
Level 9
All video cards hang off the motherboard and the rear PCI slots. Are you saying it's still pretty flimsy?
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

Antronman
Level 10
I'm pretty sure the DCII cards come with a backplate...but not certain. I would buy one.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Chino
Level 15
Unfortunately, the Asus GTX 760 DCU II does not come with a backplate. With modern graphics card being the size they are, it's normal to experience some sagging. That is why some manufacturers like Cooler Master make GPU holders.

Scythe makes a thin piece of wire that they call Ninja wire that helps reduce the sagging.

Thanks guys for the replies

PowerOver9K wrote:
All video cards hang off the motherboard and the rear PCI slots. Are you saying it's still pretty flimsy?

Yeah and sometimes it'll disconnect from the motherboard if I accidentally lightly bump into it. By disconnect I mean the green led will go off.

Antronman wrote:
I'm pretty sure the DCII cards come with a backplate...but not certain. I would buy one.

No, I believe the 770 and above only

Chino wrote:
With modern graphics card being the size they are, it's normal to experience some sagging. That is why some manufacturers like Cooler Master make GPU holders.

Scythe makes a thin piece of wire that they call Ninja wire that helps reduce the sagging.

Wouldn't the 770's and above's backplate help it from sagging also?
Desktop: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | AMD FX-8350 | Asus GTX 760 | Corsiar CX750M | G.Skill Sniper 1866 MHz 2x4GB | Crucial M500 240GB | WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM 64MB | Enermax Ostrog GT | Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Laptop: Asus G75VX-BHI7N11 | Intel i7-3630QM | Nvidia 670MX | Stock 2x4GB | Crucial M500 240GB | HGST 1TB 5400RPM 8MB | Windows 8.1 Pro

Zka17
Level 16
In the regular cases, where the VGA is mounted horizontally, sagging is very common problem… bigger the VGA, bigger the sagging will be - however, it should not be so sensitive as you say… if light bumping disconnects it, the you have a seating/power connection problem!

As Chino said, backplates help in some extent, but won't be perfect… I kinda like that wire thing…

The best solution though is to use a case where the cards are mounted vertically… - that's why I like the Test Bench-style cases...

Chino wrote:
The backplate helps but do not remove the complete sagging.

Ok, I'll just stick with my 760, thanks!

Zka17 wrote:
In the regular cases, where the VGA is mounted horizontally, sagging is very common problem… bigger the VGA, bigger the sagging will be - however, it should not be so sensitive as you say… if light bumping disconnects it, the you have a seating/power connection problem!

As Chino said, backplates help in some extent, but won't be perfect… I kinda like that wire thing…

The best solution though is to use a case where the cards are mounted vertically… - that's why I like the Test Bench-style cases...

I'll try to seat it in the slot again and see what happens.

Thanks guys!

Hmong_Xiong wrote:
I'll try to seat it in the slot again and see what happens.

And tighten the screw(s) at the I/O end of the card!

Chino
Level 15