cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 3820 overclocking Help

jpalmer
Level 7
Ok so I have an i73820 non K/X version of it so I know its locked for overclocking but after digging iv read these a way to but as iv tried I can get a stable OC the cpu I have now is the i73820 3.6 when I originally had it in my alienware comps old mobo it was clocked at 4.2 from the factory since then I have bought a different mobo brand for my comp for more reliability and want to get the cpu back to a stable 4.2 or better with low temps and im at a loss pls help I would really love this thing running like before 🙂
160 REPLIES 160

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi JP 🙂

The 3820 can OC two ways....you can just increase multiplier up to 43 so 42x100 will give you 4,2GHz or you can change the base clock by using a "strap" of 125....so instead of the multiplier being multiplied by 100 it is multiplied by 125...this is usually for higher overclocks.

If you are happy with 4,2 or 4,3 it should be as simple as setting multiplier to 42...43...

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5836-ASUS-Rampage-IV-Extreme-Easy-Overclock-Guide&country=&...

Hey Arne 🙂

thanks for the reply ok gotcha so lets say I wanted to go a bit higher with the strap method what should I do to achieve that I'm not sure if my ram can handle it or not thought I would ask before frying it. 😛

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You won't fry it...no worries there...it might not boot but then clear CMOS and start again...

jpalmer
Level 7
Ok so I tried doing a 125 with 36 as multi and it gave me 4.2 but it's around 74c on high with prime

Zka17
Level 16
72C at max load (prime) isn't so bad… you won't likely use any applications which would stress that CPU so much… - but I would not raise the Vcore more than you have it now…

If that speed (4.2) is enough for you, you could try to lower the Vcore notch by notch until it won't boot and/or won't pass your prime… maybe you could save some more in temps...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You're right to keep an eye on temps of course. 75 or 80 is a good ceiling. One thing...if you overclock with 125 strap you can't take advantage of speedstep...if you use 100 blck you can so if you go for 4.2 4.3 I would stay at normal strap and bclk. Speedstep lowers clocks and voltage when the processor is idle...a good thing... Try some manual voltages....reducing bit by bit...auto voltage often uses more than you need...if you find a stable manual voltage we can find a good ofset voltage and have lower vcore and speedstep at the same time...

jpalmer
Level 7
Ok so I'm going to load an image of what iv got goings right now let me know what u think I can make better I guess the offset you mentioned

Also how low can I go on the cpu vcore im at 1.230v for about 30 mins now no crashes

jpalmer wrote:
how low can I go on the cpu vcore im at 1.230v for about 30 mins now no crashes

You just have to keep going lower until you see instability. Maybe shave 0.01v off at a time and if prime fails then back up 0.02v. Run 10-15 minutes of prime for this just so you have a rough idea of where your CPU falls over...then when you've upped a couple of notches run Realbench http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?43233-Realbench-v2-Discussion-Thread-Download-Links&country... run a game. Prime is not a definitive stability test just a tool for showing you likelyhood of stability.

When you are doing this, set CPU LLC on medium in the BIOS would be my advice. Then when you have a stable manual voltage in BIOS note the voltage CPUz shows at load running Prime. With that you can find an offset voltage.

Lowering voltage like this you might find that temps go down and for the same 75 degree load temps you can run 4.3GHz;)

Zka17
Level 16
Temps are looking fine!

One comment though... be careful with AiSuite installed and any other application (Core Temp in this case) which is reading the same sensors... - it may cause crashes later on... but as of now, it seems good...

Try to use the system for whatever you have built it (your regular applications) and see where the temps will go, and also if the system is stable enough too...