cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SanDisk SDSSDP-064G-G25 2.5" 64GB SATA III SSD NOT Recognized in BIOS

Black4
Level 8
I've been unsuccessful in getting my Maximus V GENE to recognize a new SSD, and I'm hoping to get your help figuring out why?

I've got the DVD drive connected the 3 Gb/s connector and a twin disc bootable striping RAID array connected to the 6 Gb/s ports. The mechanical drives are 3 Gb/s, but that part works fine.

I plugged new SSD into the Asmedia 6 Gb/s connector and the BIOS fails to recognize the drive. My goal with this config is to accelerate the bootable striping RAID volume with Intel Smart Response Technology, which from what I've read my system supports.

When it didn't work, I bought a new SATA cable and even RMA-ed the SSD, but since the new SSD is also not recognized it must be because of improper setup.

Have you any suggestions why the BIOS might not recognize the new SSD?
A Republic of Gamers heart.

The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.
11 REPLIES 11

kkn
Level 14
connect it to one of the intel ports, and not asmedia ports.
see if it works then.

Black4
Level 8
The only place I see the drive is in Computer Management, under Storage:

kkn
Level 14
ok, you have to format it, make a partition ( like a drive letter ).
try that and it should show up.

PowerOver9K
Level 9
Right click it in disk management and say new Simple Volume. It should ask you to format and assign it a drive letter. If it doesn't ask you to give it a letter click on the section in the middle which right now says Unallocated.
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

Black4
Level 8
I've set up a Simple Volume as s: drive, but the BIOS still does not recognize the SSD drive:

Should not the BIOS recognize the SSD even before this setup? My SATA mode selection was already set to RAID for the striping RAID array, and that is the volume I want to accelerate with the new SSD.

Any other BIOS settings I should confirm?

PowerOver9K
Level 9
You can't have a single disk attached to an Intel RAID array. All the drives have to be in RAID or nothing unless I'm missing out and don't know how to configure that. Also notice how you're only seeing 4 SATA ports and your mobo has 6? Where's that drive in. The Intel or the ASMedia ports?
Mobo: Rampage IV BE | CPU: i7-4930@4.5ghz Hexacore | RAM: 32GB Corsair V-Pro | GPU: 4xR9 290X Quadfire | PSU: eVGA P2 SuperNOVA 1000W\G2 850W | Chassis: NZXT Phantom 820 | Cooling: XSPC Raystorm CPU Block\4xEK 290X Block\2x Laing D5\XSPC Dual Bay Res\Phobya G-Changer 1080 External Rad\Alphacool 140UT60\XSPC AX360 | Fan Con: Lamptron CW611 | Tube: Primochill Adv. LRT Bloodshed Red | 3xCrossover 27" 2560x1440 Monitors | Build Log of Insanity

PowerOver9K wrote:
You can't have a single disk attached to an Intel RAID array. All the drives have to be in RAID or nothing unless I'm missing out and don't know how to configure that. Also notice how you're only seeing 4 SATA ports and your mobo has 6? Where's that drive in. The Intel or the ASMedia ports?

Hello

The M5G has 2 Intel SATA 6Gb/s, 2 Intel SATA 3Gb/s ports, 1 Intel eSATA port and 2 ASMedia SATA 6GB/s ports. The UEFI screenshot shown is correct. A single drive can be used as a non-member RAID drive with or without an existing array. As the drive is connected to one of the ASMedia SATA ports it is not going to be shown in the Intel RST utility. Also the Intel Smart Response Technology can only be used with drives connected to the Intel SATA ports. The drive is properly identified in Disk Management. Initialize, partition and format the drive as kkn wrote above and the drive will be usable.

Black4
Level 8
Thanks Praz,
Am I going to disrupt the striping RAID array if I move the SATA cables on the mainboard around?

I would like to now put the DVD and one mechanical drive in the 3 G/bit ports and the other mechanical drive and the SSD in the non-Asmedia 6 G/bit ports.

Which ports do you suggest I use on th M5G mainboard for the DVD drive, the SSD and the twin mechanical drives to get this to work?

kkn
Level 14
for SSD's ( and non software raid ) its intel ports.
for dvd ( optics ) asmedia and HDD's ( and software raid )