cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starcraft 2 on G73JH

Retired
Not applicable
Well it turns out that the "top of the line gaming laptop" cannot play Starcraft 2 properly.

If you use anything but the lowest settings the game will randomly lag & often kill all video going to a completely black screen. Twice now the game has hung in a video loop.

I started with the built-in Radeon Catalyst drivers. Windows 7 reported a Windows Experience Index of 2.0. Yeah TWO. As in complete junk. Why? Video rating for 3D and games was a 2.0. When running Starcraft 2 it simply stated "card not supported" and defaults to 1024x768 resolution and lowest video settings. If you set it to 1920x1080 and cranked up to even medium settings the video lagged horribly.

I upgraded to the latest ATI Radeon driver from the ATI website, version 10.07. Starcraft 2 stopped lagging and became ALMOST usable. However, after a few minutes of play the audio started looping and I got a black screen. NOTHING worked. No keyboard input, mouse input, power input, LCD keys, NOTHING. I had to do a hard power off after 20 minutes of listening to a horrible audio loop.

Second attempt at medium video settings and the system started lagging a little, but still got into this audio loop problem.

This is *NOT* a Starcraft 2 problem. I've been playing it fine on my Sony Vaio VGN-AR890U for a month now. It runs no lag on a NVidia mobile card with only 512MB of video RAM.

This is horrible for a laptop advertised as a "top notch gaming laptop". In fact this statement can't be further from the truth:

"Visuals look awesome on the 17.3” full HD screen, and made even better by the ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD5870 with 1GB GDDR5 – an overkill GPU taking notebook gaming beyond the edge so you no longer have to switch graphic details off in options menus."

(http://rog.asus.com/Product.aspx?PId=32)
25 REPLIES 25

Retired
Not applicable
hi cyberlance, you have the latest 10.7 mobile drivers correct? its odd you are seeing a 2 on your windows index..

Retired
Not applicable
I play SC2 on maximum settings at 1920x1080 with perfect framerate. You've got some kind of driver problems.

Retired
Not applicable
Same here. Not one issue.

Retired
Not applicable
Hey
Did you solve the problem with the lag and stuff? I know this post is old... its just that i recently got the problem my self... I was completly shocked to see lag on this thing.

Retired
Not applicable
I played through the whole game with everything on MAX on the G73JH. Can't remember what anti-aliasing setting I had on it if I can remember if there was one it was 2X.

Retired
Not applicable
I would recommend the 10.7a drivers along with the latest 211 bios. They both work great for me

10.7a drivers
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICat107aBetaDriver.aspx

211 bios for G73JH
ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G73Jh/G73JhAS211.zip

Retired
Not applicable
let me know if the latest bios 211 works for you with the 10.7 drivers. if not ill escalate this further.:cool:

Retired
Not applicable
Your best bet is using asus drivers. You don't get all the features of the card - CS5 doesn't work so hot, and many other adobe products ... and forget about using it for any 3d modelling ...

But you do get OKAY framerates (not as good as 10.7a), and NO crashes.

I'm on my 4th g73. Hopefully this one has no problems when it is delivered.

Retired
Not applicable
I have the X1 version.
211 Bios
10.8 drivers
and the new vBOS update to get rid of the gsod.

I can only run the game on medium to low graphics, and ultra textures. I was at least hoping for high to ultra graphics. The frame rate also lags a little in midium to low settings. Going to test out mass effect 2 and see if I get the same problems.